PDA

View Full Version : What brand cordless impact?

ShadowBolt
10-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Also where is the best place to purchase? I don't want to have to mess with air to change wheels. Any ideas?

Jerry

jeffburch
10-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Goodyear.
Pepboys.
24V.
$80
1 yr. warranty
Extra batteries $40.

Highly recommended.

jb

David Love AI27
10-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Don't buy an "off" brand... I bought on and it only lasted 1 season... I bit the bullet and bought Craftsman... big bucks but 3 year warranty... of course the one Burch recomended is a 1/3rd of the price of craftsman so you could buy 3 and break even...

GlennCMC70
10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Snap On has a 32V unit coming out soon.
Dewalt has the 28V stuff.
Mitch has the Dewalt 18V and its bad ass. he's had it for a few years now and loves it.

but, you should consider a Nitrogen bottle for the trailer. i have one and it lasts me all season no problem. costs $20 to fill and it never need to be charged. i only use it to run tools and move air pressures around 1-2 lbs in the tires. plus if you run nitrogen in your tires, this makes it even a better option.

ShadowBolt
10-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Goodyear.
Pepboys.
24V.
$80
1 yr. warranty
Extra batteries $40.

Highly recommended.

jb

I bought this one. Could not get past the $79.00 net price after rebate. I have it charging now on my desk. I read many post on other forums and this one is the best bang for the buck. We will see.

Jerry

jeffburch
10-18-2007, 07:20 PM
I plan on going in at the 11th hour and getting a replacement.
Some excuse about it being weak or such.

I've learned to do this with printers after being burned 3 times.

I have a red ass for cheap chinese made crap these days.

jb

Adam Ginsberg
10-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Since early 2006, I've used a Dewalt 18v unit. Batteries will last an entire weekend, even with heavy usage. No need to break the lugs loose prior to using the impact - it'll get free every time. Use it on the race car, trailer, tow vehicle, wife's SUV, etc. AAMOF, I rarely use my air gun at home anymore....the cordless is more convenient.

Picked up the complete kit - impact gun, drill, 2 batteries, charger, and a bag for $300. It wasn't as inexpensive as the unit JB mentions, but there are times you get what you pay for.

mitchntx
10-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Father's Day 2001 my wife and kids gave me a kit with DeWalt 18V 1/2" and 3/8" drive impacts.

I've gone through a basket full of batteries ... $20 on eBay ... and they just keep working like new.

BryanL
12-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I have had a 3/8" cordeless impact from Jegs for several years. Battery needs replacing now and the fwd/rev swith is touchy now. It's been worth the $100.
They have a special on a 1/2" drive 18V Lithium for $150. Is there something special about the lithium battery?
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80795/10002/-1

Any others to check out? Any updates on the Goodyear one at Pepboys? Can't find it online.

Crumpacker
12-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Since early 2006, I've used a Dewalt 18v unit. Batteries will last an entire weekend, even with heavy usage. No need to break the lugs loose prior to using the impact - it'll get free every time. Use it on the race car, trailer, tow vehicle, wife's SUV, etc. AAMOF, I rarely use my air gun at home anymore....the cordless is more convenient.

Picked up the complete kit - impact gun, drill, 2 batteries, charger, and a bag for $300. It wasn't as inexpensive as the unit JB mentions, but there are times you get what you pay for.

+1

I've had my 18v Dewalt for about 3yrs now and it is still rolling strong. I've been using the original 2 batteries that came in the kit. Same as Adam, my air impact hasn't left the shelf since I picked up the Dewalt.

I even dropped it in a pan of ATF about a year ago, still working. :oops: :lol: Knock on wood.

NickV
12-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Any updates on the Goodyear one at Pepboys? Can't find it online.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/24-volt-cordless-impact-wrench-set/p2021035.jcwx?skuId=549390&filterid=j1

Just ordered a replacement battery for my GY 24v. After 4 years of abuse it finally died. New battery and it works like a champ. One of the best tools I've bought.

Alien
12-15-2010, 11:23 AM
When I was looking, PepBoys never had it. Talked to a manager and he knew exactly what I was talking about, and didn't know why they didn't order them since they always sell when they (rarely) did get them in. He ordered mine and three more for his store.

If you don't want to order it online, I'd take in the part number listed in JCW to PepBoys.

jdlingle
12-15-2010, 04:59 PM
The Dewalt 18V 1/2 drive impact gun is awesome. I always check withmy torque wrench afterwards but it gets them tightened up to 90-95 foot pounds on mine. Would buy again.

BryanL
12-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Great info. guys-Thanks. Goodyear is now $125 so not alot different than the one Jegs has on special at $150 with the Lithium battery. Dewalt is now $350. I think I would rather get the cheaper ones and spend some money on a good jack as that is the next thing on the tool list.

BlueFirePony
12-16-2010, 11:53 PM
I've been using the Goodyear from Pep boys since 2005. Only issue I've had is one of the batteries won't hold a charge but the other (the original one) does great.

BryanL
02-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Well I am back in the market for a 1/2" Impact. I bought one from Jeg's on special for $99 and it died this weekend-bought it 11 months ago and hasn't seen a ton of usage. They will refund my money since they don't carry that model anymore and only have one that is $200. Probably go with the Goodyear at JCW for $125 or the Dewalt 18v route. Boudy posted one awhile back for $150 without Batteries and Mitch says batteries are $20 on ebay so I'll check that out.
If anyone has a better suggestion let me know.

ShadowBolt
02-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Well I am back in the market for a 1/2" Impact. I bought one from Jeg's on special for $99 and it died this weekend-bought it 11 months ago and hasn't seen a ton of usage. They will refund my money since they don't carry that model anymore and only have one that is $200. Probably go with the Goodyear at JCW for $125 or the Dewalt 18v route. Boudy posted one awhile back for $150 without Batteries and Mitch says batteries are $20 on ebay so I'll check that out.
If anyone has a better suggestion let me know.

My GY from PepBoys still work great most of the time (trigger sticks once in a while but I purchased it when I started racing). We bought Jay one and his is a POS. It's never been used and the batter does not make good connection.

JJ

jdlingle
02-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Dewalt 18v has been great for me Brian. Its more up front but the lack of headaches and rebuys is worth something though.

BlueFirePony
02-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Right after I posted in 2010 about the GY I went and bought a replacement battery for the replacement...its still doing great and the original that is now 7 years old does great too.

AI#97
03-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Bringing this back from the dead. Our 14.4v Snap on is starting to crap out on us...of course I just got the batteries rebuilt about 4 months ago. Worked great but it appears the motor is going bad in the head unit. Is the DeWalt still the favorite for the workhorse that gets used constantly? I think this snap on lasted about 6 years total but the replacement parts costs is ridiculous. I would love to get another one but I am not parting with $500.

Thoughts?

blk96gt
03-25-2014, 04:53 PM
I've got the 18v 1/2" Dewalt and its been solid.

Wade
03-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Milwaukee 18V from HomeDepot. Ben and I both have it. Awesome.

AI#97
03-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Milwaukee 18V from HomeDepot. Ben and I both have it. Awesome.

I like the fact the "fuel" version is a brushless motor....however, I have had TERRIBLE luck with Milwaukee batteries. I figured out the motor is toast in our snap on and if I could find a replacement motor, I'd be all over it. 10 minute fix. I did however come across the Ingersol Rand brand IR W7150....gets good reviews. Has HUGE advertised torque ratings and is only $269.00. edit: that price was for bare tool, no batteries or charger...misleading ad but found it in the fine print.

I may still just grab the dewalt but hate the fact I just put $130 in rebuilding these two batteries with the Ni-MH cells instead of ni-cad. Worked great up until the motor failed. I was hoping it could be taken apart but the ends are pressed on and nicely crimped. I could get it apart but I could not get it to stay together afterwards. Was hoping it could be a brush replace/clean and polish the commutator polish away from good as new. the worm drive was pretty worn but I am going to keep looking for a replacement motor. I have to have something good and reliable before one lap in May.

Dulaney
03-26-2014, 10:30 AM
M18 Milwaukee has been fantastic for 2 years now. Has enough torque to install wheel-studs, and batteries still holding strong. My pneumatic one hasn't left the tool box in a very long time.
As I recall, the dewalt version had a much lower torque rating.

AI#97
03-26-2014, 04:44 PM
M18 Milwaukee has been fantastic for 2 years now. Has enough torque to install wheel-studs, and batteries still holding strong. My pneumatic one hasn't left the tool box in a very long time.
As I recall, the dewalt version had a much lower torque rating.

The Dewalt sold at Lowes and HD shows 300 lbs of force on their websites. If you go to Dewalt's website, it shows 400 lbs. The IR 7150 has 700lbs of force and 1100 lbs of breaking force. I found it online with 2 batteries at a couple places from $429 to 449.

I did get in touch with our Snap On rep today and he "thinks" they can fix the one we have for around $100-175....assuming they can get parts. Takes 3 weeks so I will have to be without one for a while. I may get a wild hair and just buy the IR but Jander has offered to let me try his dewalt this weekend. I've wanted an air powered impact for a while, but the IR might negate that and the need for a larger compressor for the shop! Only thing the Dewalt has going for it at the moment is I could get a new angle drill and flash light that uses the same batteries. IR doesn't have that option.

Anyone have any luck with the $115 Harbor Freight model as a "save your ass spare"?

Tilton
03-28-2014, 10:28 AM
The Harbor Freight impact is a flaming pile of shit. My 18v Ryobi drill has more power and battery life.

cjlmlml
03-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Dont beat around the bush, Do you think the Harbor freight is good or not?

BlueFirePony
03-29-2014, 01:21 PM
The Goodyear is still going strong though it does not get a ton of use - it pops out and does the job when needed...original battery still good and so is the replacement...it's a lightweight but for a hundred bucks its been a good tool.

Storm Trooper
03-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Used it all day it is awesom

michaelmosty
03-31-2014, 12:42 PM
still going strong though it does not get a ton of use - it pops out and does the job when needed...
I don't need to know that personal information....