PDA

View Full Version : Racing with the Rocky Mountain region

mitchntx
10-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Next weekend, the 10th and 11th, is the RM regions finale.

I am trying to work out the details to go as is Steve. The RM region has offered a significant discount for any Texas region racers that wants to go.

An open track on Friday and a weekend of racing will cost you a LOT less than MSR-Houston's race weekend. E-mail Dave Balingit at
dave @ nasarockymountain.com for details.

If we can get things worked out, we plan on leaving Wednesday the 7th, stay in Amarillo and arrive in Pueblo Thursday evening. From D/FW it's about a 12 hour drive.

I know it's short notice, but it should be a hoot.

Weather looks nice in the 10 day forecast ... highs in the mid 60s and the lows around freezing.

AI#97
10-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Weather looks nice in the 10 day forecast ... highs in the mid 60s and the lows around freezing.

Better put some antifreeze in the radiator!

Adam Ginsberg
10-31-2007, 08:51 AM
Man....that's great to hear, Mitch. You and Steve have a good time racing with the DUDES. ;)

Wish I could make it......according to maps.yahoo.com, it's a hair over 10 hrs from my place. Nearly the same distance as Barber.

Fbody383
10-31-2007, 10:03 AM

Better put some antifreeze in the radiator!

Nah, just put some E85 in it, let it run and use the battery to run the trailer heater.

jeffburch
10-31-2007, 10:15 AM
Put hot water in your cool shirt.
Don't flat spot any tires.

jb

BryanL
10-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Mitch do you need some extra fuel containers? Let me know.

Bryan

mitchntx
10-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Good call, Jeff. GOnna have to bundle up!

Mitch do you need some extra fuel containers? Let me know.

Bryan

Might need them, Bryan. You fill them up first? :wink:

Wirtz
10-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Good luck and have fun. The trick to keeping warm? Battery powered socks....

Cody Powell
10-31-2007, 09:35 PM
You Texas guys always act so tuff, it's gonna be 65 you crybaby's! :P
At least Mitch and Steve are man enough to make it.

mitchntx
11-01-2007, 04:35 AM
LOL at Mr. Powell's sig ...

BryanL
11-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Mitch just let me know if you need any fuel containers. I have a 14 gallon that you can lay down or stand up-it also has a little hand pump.
Of course they would be full when you pick them up as well as when you drop them off :wink:

Bryan

mitchntx
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks Bryan .... but I think we are good to go between Steve and I.

Leaving in the morning.
Weather looks amazing! mid70s/upper 60s and mid 30s for the lows.

Called the track yesterday and it's quite the culture shock.

Me: Do I need a PMP tech?
PMP: NASA logbook is good enough.

Me: What's the cost for Friday's open track?
PMP: $100 full day ... $60 1/2 day

Me: Where is registration and can I pay at the gate?
PMP: We'll find you.

:shock:

Their region has twice or 3 times the HPDE car count as there are racers. For the racers, their format is patterned after Nationals ... practice (15 min), Qual (20 min), Qual race (20 min) and Points race (30 min) each day.

Looking forward to something new.

AllZWay
11-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Mitch... you and Steve go kick some tail.

Todd Covini
11-06-2007, 11:39 AM
All Texas Podium!!!!

(Cody & Chris are both Texans, by the way.)

Have fun!!!

-=- T

mitchntx
11-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Well now I have a super secret weapon straight from the demented mind of Professor Landrum. Maybe the greatest breakthrough yet!

The test mule will give it a shot this weekend. :wink:

Todd Covini
11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Your secret weapon better not be one of those belly pan exhaust systems!!! :twisted:

mitchntx
11-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Your secret weapon better not be one of those belly pan exhaust systems!!! :twisted:

8.26. Exhaust
All cars must use OEM stock exhaust manifolds. Any suitable exhaust system may be used after the OEM stock exhaust manifolds. The exhaust must exit behind the driver and be directed away from the car. Mufflers may be required to meet sound regulations depending on track location.

Stock exhaust manifolds - check
"Suitable" :roll: system - check
Exhaust exits behind driver - check
Directed away from car - check

Seems acceptable to me. :twisted:

Todd Covini
11-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Uncheck your "suitable" Mr. Smartypants. 8)

-=- T

mitchntx
11-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Oh, OK ...

FS: 80 sq/ft of titanium sheet. Comes in 2 sections. Will throw in a 3" collector for free.

Al Fernandez
11-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Hey Mitch, I'll trade you for something you actually need: a two foot long piece of 1.75" DOM tubing with fishmouths already cut on each end! :lol:

mitchntx
11-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Thoughts so far ....

I think being so rules driven and hyper-serious about compliance and finishing order takes a LOT of the fun out of a weekend.

Nothing wrong with a "healthy" rivalry. Making it Detroit against the world instead of Ford vs Chevy makes conversation and banter seem a lot less vindictive. Here it's the ground-pounders vs the cake eaters.

The dirt here is like talcum powder ...

Adam Ginsberg
11-10-2007, 12:53 PM
I think being so rules driven and hyper-serious about compliance and finishing order takes a LOT of the fun out of a weekend.

Much of where we are today is due to the efforts of people that are competitive, and want the rules to be followed to the T....there are several racers in TX that fit that description.

Not to be a prick, but you, Glenn, and several others were the most vocal about following the rules ( and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting that...so don't read this the wrong way ). Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but it almost sounds like you don't like it that way any longer.....

GlennCMC70
11-10-2007, 06:04 PM
seems to me there are more people who are happier w/ agressive rules enforcement, than there were w/out it.

how far off topic are we now?

jeffburch
11-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Waaaay off topic.
I'm planning a trip to VIR next year to see why the Mid Atlantic guys are so shy (lax rule enforcement?).
Sebring also.
Have car/comp licence (RFA/check), will travel.
Tx is the epicenter of CMC regardless of what anyone says.

jb

GlennCMC70
11-10-2007, 09:55 PM

jb

True dat!
have fun on your 2008 NASA Calender World Tour. :D

mitchntx
11-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Yes, Adam, to a degree, I do regret getting caught up in the frenzy.

I think the pendulum has swung too far away from what it was in 2004 and 2005, that is all.

Seeing or expereincing nothing but what 2006 and 2007 were that is our norm. Experiencing a regional event that is probably what 2004 and 2005 was in Texas, is kind of nice.

mitchntx
11-11-2007, 08:58 AM

jb

From what I'm hearing, that is the case. Texas region CMC has taken the series to a new, different and unexpected level.

Conclusions I am drawing are that it is a double edged sword.

Folks do look seem to be looking to the Texas region for the "cutting edge" of CMC cars and racers.

It also is a huge intimmidation factor for new guys looking for a place to race. If potential racers feel they can't compete, they will look elsewhere to race.

In an abstract way, that is one of the many reasons folks are leaving the SCCA.

ShadowBolt
11-11-2007, 04:34 PM
[/quote]

It also is a huge intimmidation factor for new guys looking for a place to race. If potential racers feel they can't compete, they will look elsewhere to race.[/quote]

Where exactly does a guy look?
I can see some guys giving up because the front runners are so far in front of them.

JJ

GlennCMC70
11-11-2007, 05:09 PM
i really hate this view.
"why keep racing, i'll never catch those guys in front." this shows no confidence in yourself or trust in your own abilities to tune the car.
those guys in front were not always there. they got there by coming back event after event working on thier skills and the car. every event, there are more and more "front runners".
and PS, it may take more than one year of wheel to wheel to get there. you have to have faith that you will get better. if you keep at it, you will get better. and better.

while i was building my CMC car before i ever ran a single wheel to wheel race, i was talking alot of smack behind closed doors. it was about my 2nd weekend before i realized i was not the driver i thought i was. mind you this is after 5 years of HPDE in the same type car i drive now w/ about 2 times the HP, brakes and tires. point is, i felt about an inch tall and it was at the end of the season before i started to dig deep and just drive the car and work the problems. i was one of those "i cant catch him, so he must be cheating" guys for a while too.

one of the best things to do as a new guy is keep a spreadsheet of your own personal best laps for each track. one of your goals should be to beat your best lap. as time goes on, you will see the trend of you getting faster. you will also see the gap between class track record and your own personal best get smaller and smaller. next thing you know your setting poles, and then track records.
if none of this is important to you, then just show up and have fun.

Jerry - wait till you run your first inverted race. this is where you will have a chance to really learn. this will be when you will get a good look at what your doing compaired to everyone else.

ShadowBolt
11-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Glenn,

I think you took me wrong. I'm not going anywhere just because I'm not finishing well. I was just saying that I can see how a guy could get screwed up moving from HPDE and being one of (if not THE) fastest guy there to racing and coming in last. I want more and more guys to come out and race with us and I don't want them to get disappointed and go elsewhere. I could see it happening though. I know you guys make me faster. On mylaps my times at MSRH were 2 seconds a lap faster in the races than in qual.
One thing. I have no idea how to tune the car.....no idea at all. Right now the car is way better than I am so it's not an issue. Getting the time to test and learn to adjust the car will be way harder than me improving my driving.

JJ

jeffburch
11-11-2007, 08:29 PM
It's all just part of the natural progression of a racecar driver.
No biggie.
All here have been there and done it.
Most all were DE goobers.

The car is part of it.
Prep is part.
Setup.
Talent.
How important is success?
How important is having fun.
Some folks are golfers or hunters.
We, are racecar drivers.

jb

p.s.
Who's cookin the banquet??

GlennCMC70
11-11-2007, 08:45 PM
the banquet is being worked by Todd. looks like we are haveing last years banquet that was canceled due to weather for this year.
details coming soon.

chris-CMC#35
11-11-2007, 08:50 PM
fwiw, this thread got WAY off topic. :D

It was fantastic having Mitch and Steve up here, running in the thin air. It may take Steve a month to re-hydrate. :lol:

We had super weather all weekend. Mid-70s Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Again, NASA-RM was thrilled to have out-of-region folks join us. We're thinking maybe TWS would be a good reciprocal event, unless it gets scheduled for something like July, in which case I'll stay up here where it's not 100+ degrees. (Hallett is a given.)

-chris

GlennCMC70
11-11-2007, 08:53 PM
there is a TWS in April. there is even an enduro planned for that weekend.

Al Fernandez
11-11-2007, 09:20 PM
uhh...results???

GlennCMC70
11-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Mitch is bringing home paint from 2 different CMC cars. Steve is still hung over. Raybob wrecked and blew his motor (same old Raybob).

other than that, i'll let the boys fill you in themselves.

Todd Covini
11-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I just talked to Mitch...he didn't mention anything about podiums...just good times.

This is akin to saying his date for the weekend "had a great personality".

(I suspect Mitch didn't score.) :lol:

-=- T

PS- Texas AI/CMC Series Director Teleconference being held at 9PM. Bunch of details to be released within 24 hours of that.

Cody Powell
11-11-2007, 10:08 PM
It was totally cool having Mitch and Steve up here this weekend, what class guys and great ambassadors for Texas and CMC as a whole.

Mitch tried to get me drunk (something about racing with a hangover).
And Steve drank all my Corona.
We had a blast. You wussies missed out it, we had perfect weather.

As far as results, lets just say that Mitch is bringing home a whole pile of Toyo bucks.

chris-CMC#35
11-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Okay, some CMC results:

Saturday: Cody, Mitch, Chris, Steve, Bill

Sunday: Cody, Mitch, Steve, Bill (DNF), Chris (DNF)

-chris

Adam Ginsberg
11-11-2007, 11:27 PM
PS- Texas AI/CMC Series Director Teleconference being held at 9PM. Bunch of details to be released within 24 hours of that.

Yeah....we'll all hold our collective breaths. :oops:

Congrats on the podiums, guys. Glad you had fun.

Todd Covini
11-12-2007, 01:10 AM

See the Announcement Section. :roll:

-=- T

mitchntx
11-12-2007, 05:59 PM

You know ... I was told to STFU, followed with a piss off for making out of influence remarks like that. :wink: 8)

Thanks, Adam ... and a very special thanks to Chris, Cody, Tommy, RayBob, Kent ... and I KNOW I'm leaving out half the folks that made this a GREAT weekend. A very special THANKS goes to Kathy Powell, Cody's better half. She is a real sweetheart and makes a mean turkey sandwich. Bev ... Virginia ... you better bring your "A" game, if she shows at a Texas regional. ;)

Results? I had a great time on the track with the RM region. Finishing order was secondary.

There is a reason why Cody was up front all week long at Mid-Ohio. He was mixing it up rather well with the RM AI group, leaving the rest of us CMC bottom feeders to duke it out amongst ourselves.

I tried taking some of Cody's paint in order to gain a few tenths on the track. Didn't work. :?

More observations ...

2 points paying, Toyo buck garnishing races per weekend. The other 2 races are open to new/different things ... like ALL the racers from ALL the classes on the track for a single 45 minute race. Wow! unbelievable experience.

All racers in the group go to impound after a race. Everyone gets out of their respective cars and it gives an wonderful opportunity to socialize and bench race in a single place as opposed to being spread out over the whole paddock. After about 10 minutes, Hank the Tech guy would tap individuals on the shoulder to go through post race tech and everyone else was released. The impound was clear before the next 20 minute session was over. It allows a racers to reach out and find other racers, get to meet them, match a face to a car. Awesome!

"Awards" are replaced with Lowes gift cards ... you know, something useful. :wink: Chris said that Dave Balingit changes it up each event. You never know what will be handed out.

RM region NASA trphy girls will grab your butt while the podium pics are being taken. 8)

ShadowBolt
11-12-2007, 07:42 PM
[/quote]

RM region NASA trphy girls will grab your butt while the podium pics are being taken. 8)[/quote]

pics?

Cody Powell
11-13-2007, 03:18 PM
This isn't about racing in Colorado, but since I can't post in the announcements section here is as good as anywhere.
Raybob, Tommy and I wanted to come down to your year end get together but I am going on a cruise that weekend. Since you said it was tenative I was wondering if it might move.

michaelmosty
11-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Dang Cody, you can't cancel your cruise for us?? :roll:
I expected more from a 2nd place finisher at Nationals. :lol:

mitchntx
11-13-2007, 06:10 PM
I'll have to agree with Micheal on this one, Cody.

You need a serious adjustment in priorities.

Cody Powell
11-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Sorry dudes Grandma paid and there is like 28 people going so I am kinda stuck (cruise dates are Jan 12-19 in case anyone wants to join us).
Seriously though I wasn't asking for a change, just if it did that would be great for me. You guys are so cool it would be great to come down and see you! Tommy and Ray might come anyway.

Adam Ginsberg
11-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Tommy and Ray might come anyway.

In that case, we'll move it. To a different venue. At the last minute.

;)

GlennCMC70
11-13-2007, 07:01 PM
no suprise that RayBob is gonna "crash" the party. :wink:

mitchntx
11-13-2007, 07:03 PM
LOL at Cody, the Rock Star!

Todd Covini
11-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Cody,
Right now, Jan 12 is the best date, it works for Speedzone and it's 1 month prior to our season kickoff. Going later in January gets everyone together too many times in one month....going earlier gets us into the middle of the holidays. I'm driving for the 12th as much as possible...full steam ahead. Sorry Dude.

-= -Todd

PS- Tell RayBob the bank called and his reality check bounced. :wink:

Cody Powell
11-13-2007, 09:54 PM
You guys crack me up, I was pretty sure it was set, one can always hope can't he.
What is it going to take to get a video?
Maybe I could trade Mitch for the white paint he left up here. :oops:

mitchntx
11-13-2007, 10:29 PM
How can you tell which is my paint or someone else's? Your car is beginning to match that "reach around racing" sticker.

:o

mitchntx
11-19-2007, 08:45 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/annag307/11-11-07%20NASA%20RockyMntn%20Pics/984%20Black%20Camero%20pics/11-11-07NASARMrace299-984BlkCameros.jpg

Racing towards the mountains!!!

Yes, that's 5 wide and no brakes till the 1 marker.

Todd Covini
11-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Did the Mustangs already round that corner up ahead? :shock: