PDA

View Full Version : EGR vacuum regulator Solenoid (EVR) question

ShadowBolt
11-29-2007, 04:43 PM
While installing the Painless harness I ended up with a connector that did not have anything to plug into. CMC17 did not have a EVRS (egr vacuum regulator solenoid) nor was there any vacuum line connected to the EGR valve (never has been since I purchased the car). I have two questions. One, is this going to throw a code and two if it's not hooked up why not use a EGR valve eliminator?

JJ

marshall_mosty
11-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Jerry,
The EVP code won't hurt anything. I "dewired" that all the way back to the ECU. Unless you have a custom chip burned to turn off that function, it will always throw a code for that. I can't remember if it makes the "check engine" light come up though.

ShadowBolt
11-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks Marshall!

So I guess everyone leaves the EGR valve in place but not hooked up (vacuum or electric)? Why not remove it and put a plate on it. I can make us some plates for nothing. Is that not okay with the rules?

Jerry

marshall_mosty
11-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Removing it and putting a plate is okay.Section 8.21 of the CMC rules allows the removal or disabling of the factory installed smog equipment.

Michael's is removed and blocked with an aluminum plate. No issues to date.

RichardP
11-30-2007, 12:33 PM
The introduction of exhaust gas into the combustion chamber lowers the combustion temperature. This is done to reduce the formation of oxides of nitrogen for emission purposes.

With the stock computer program but no EGR connected, the computer will still set timing based on the assumed lower combustion temperature. The result is a possibility of light knocking under conditions when the EGR system would normally be operating (part throttle/light load). This would be annoying on a street car but has no relevance on a race car…

Richard P.

cjlmlml
11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Richard,

You took the words right out of my mouth.