PDA

View Full Version : Laptop computer advice

marshall_mosty
12-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Guys,
I know that there are probably some of you computer savy guys that know it all. I need some advice.

My desktop PC is starting to show it's age and I'm getting all sorts of error messages. The one last night scared me... "CMOS battery low"...

Anyhoo, I'm wanting to upgrade to a laptop and have the printer and DSL on some sort of a wireless hub/router so I can have the computer anywhere in the house and surf the net and print, if needed. I'd like to have the printer in a closet, out of the way.

The computer only needs to support internet/quicken/word/excel. I don't do ANY gaming or fancy video editing, CAD work (that's the work laptop...). So, what kind of memory, processor, wireless card, etc do I need?

I'm not looking to spend a large wad of cash as this really wasn't planned until the post "tax man" time once I get my refund (hopefully :) )

Also, I ASSume there are wireless printers out there. I though I heard a co-worker talking about them.

I just don't want to go into a store (Best Buy, Frys, etc) and get worked over by a guy trying to up-sell me on stuff I really don't need.

Thanks.

AI#97
12-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Surf the Dell outlet pages and you can find some really good deals. Biggest thing is if you MUST get Vista, get a minimum of 2GB of ram. the rest is pretty simple and just get an Intel based machine, preferably a core duo....celerons are pretty slow.

As for the printer, your best bet is to put a cmos battery (watch battery) in your current desk top, wipe it clean with a fresh install of the OS once you back everything up and then use the desktop as a secondary surfing station and print/file server only. That way the wife and kiddos can use it if you are out with the laptop tuning on the car!! ;)

Otherwise, you can use your current printer but will have to buy a network print server...ranging in cost from 70-150... I think HP makes the most user friendly ones...

As for lap top brands...do your homework. I was seconds from pulling the trigger on a new laptop about a month ago and after searching the web I found out the battery usually lasted only 15 minutes. Battery life should be your top priority when searching because most all the other features are pretty well the same now days... Acers are junk... and most of the toshiba/compaqs have a widescreen format that makes looking at web pages and documents a PITA...

not that I am an expert or anything but I recently went through the research and ended up sticking with a REALLY nice desktop.

Adam Ginsberg
12-23-2007, 09:42 PM
If you want an HP external jet-direct box, let me know Marshall. I've got one we used to use that's been collecting dust for awhile.

Matt is 100% correct about a min of 2GB of ram for Vista. Best Buy/Circuit City, etc all have good deals for the holidays. If you need some help setting up your network stuff ( wireless security, especially ), give me a shout.

Jeremy Gunter
12-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Mashall

The Dell site mentioned is a good idea, newegg.com is another site I use for PC parts, not sure about their laptop prices. When you do decide to get it TRY for XP home or professional. I can't stand Vista, it's too resource intensive for me. XP is bad enough... Learn Unix and don't worry about it! :P

These days the slowest computers are superfast, for basic programs like you mentioned. The first thing I do when I buy a computer is get all the information on the specific drivers needed for the video, wireless card, sound, display, network card, and other various stuff. then I format the machiene and do a fresh install of the Operating system using the same keycode that is on the computer. This will take off ALL of that stupid manufacturer popup crap! I'm not familiar with you computer skills or your nunchuck skills, so I would proceed with caution before doing this. (I wouldn't suggest trying if you haven't done it before) if you have any questions you have my number...

j3ffbrooks
12-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Marshall,

Look at the Thinkpad T30s or T40s.... unless you want to spend more.

You can get a LAN print server and put the printer with the wireless router or just get a wireless printer server and put it where ever you want.

I DON'T recommend Dell. POS. Unless you spend $2500.

JB

mitchntx
12-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Why not just buy a laptop and use your old desktop as a print server?

FWIW, last year, I recently bought an Inspiron which needed a battery for $350. It is a 2.4 GHz celeron, 1G mem, 200G HD, CDR/DVDP, bag, wireless card, docking station, bag, XP Pro.

I put it in my shop

It's not the peppiest PC around, but it does everything in your list. And the price still gives enough cash to buy a set of tires. ;)

AllZWay
12-24-2007, 09:36 PM
It is hard to go wrong with a new Dell. The new duo core processors kick butt.

If you order from the business side of Dell's site you can get it with WinXP.

Unless you are going to replace all of your software, avoid Vista. It is a hog and slows your new system down.

donovan
12-26-2007, 04:13 PM
MM,

I support 500+ Dell workstations, notebooks and servers... I have zero issues with them. The Dell outlet is a great place to pick up decent PC's and the last time I checked you still get the same warranty with those.

IBM/Lenovo are also good, HP's new notebooks kickass too.

DD

gt40
12-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I've got to recomend the Dell laptops too. I have three Dell laptops in my current fleet of computers, The newest is a D600, I think, which The Wife uses. It's been dead-reliable since I bought it used about two years ago.

The middle one is a Cx-something-or-other which is a P-III, which was extremely reliable until The Wife snapped the power connector off of it. I have a replacement connector, only I haven't been sufficiently motivgated to crack open the laptop and solder it in.

The third is positively ancient. When I got it, it had draft versions of teh Dead Sea Scrolls on it. ;) Its a 386SX with a spiffy 387 math co-processor (remember those?) Yes, it still runs. I fire it up whenever I get nostalgic for Windows for Workgroups (which lasts about 20 seconds.)

I also have two ancient Toshibas, in addition to my current Toshiba laptop.

Personally, I'd say pretty much any name-brand laptop is going to be OK, with the business models being a little more robust than the consumer models.