PDA

View Full Version : Austin area dyno?

ShadowBolt
01-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Where and when do you central Texas racers plan to dyno your car? I have used the Dodge dealership at 183 and 620 but I doubt they want a bunch of race cars around. I also used Colvin but they have very little room. I don't know about any others in town.

JJ

y5e06
01-04-2008, 10:18 AM
the past few years, DD I believe, organized our day at A.R.T. down south. they were very accomidating and worked out well. dunno if he or anyone else is organizing it. Car is in pieces, so depending on when I get it moving again I might just try to hit ART the day before our 1st event.

http://www.americanracingtech.com/

donovan
01-04-2008, 05:10 PM
MD is right... ART is the place we have used in the past.

They have a great place, very accomidating, open up on Saturdays for us and tons and tons of room for trailers.

The place is a high end Viper and LS1 shop but they love all types of cars, they seem to enjoy helping out.

With that said, the last time I was there they were really busy, and have doubled there shop space. They are now fabricating and building there own Viper Turbo kits and lots of other things. I'm sure they will be able to help us out, but it might be more on there schedule this year as they have been very busy.

I will get in touch with them and see about getting something set up.

DD

Wirtz
01-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks DD, let us know.

In the past, the Spokes car club did a dyno day at the Dodge dealership and it worked out pretty good. Big lot obviously and easy to get trucks and trailer in and out. That might be a fall back?

Jeff

y5e06
01-04-2008, 07:48 PM
thanks, DD.
hopefully keep it at ART if you can. I like the consistency of running on the same one every year and they also treat us very well...
anyway, shessh, it seems my only available weekend would be Feb 2nd but might be able to do 19th as I'm out of town all other weekends.

donovan
01-05-2008, 12:12 AM
I was informed that Motion Dynamics up in Plugerville now has a DynoJet...

Would you be interested in doing it up there... I would need to check to see if its the correct model, I'm sure it is.

The ART guys have done us right in the past, but they might get to busy for us... I hate to break it off with them, but Motion is a Mustang (Ford) shop... It would be a haul for us guys down south, but I think there is more up north these days.

???

DD

ShadowBolt
01-05-2008, 10:13 AM
David,

obviously anything North of the river is better for me but I will go along with the group assuming we are all going to try to dyno on the same day. If not, P-Ville will work great for me.

Jerry

y5e06
01-05-2008, 11:53 AM
local guy says motion has a 224X dynojet.
what model do we need?

GlennCMC70
01-05-2008, 12:26 PM
there is another modle Dyno Jet that is legal. we all know of the 248C. its rated to 2000hp. and then there is the 224x. i had talked w/ Tony in the past about this and he told me the 224 was fine to use. the 224 has a lower HP limit of 1500. the rules were suposed to get updated at some point. i'll push this again and see if i get get it to happen.
here is a spec sheet of the 2 dyno's.

Chuck
01-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Motion dynamics has a Dynojet model 224x. Jim Whelan is the owner and a road racer from way back. The shop is a on the north side, by the Pflugerville High School, which is closer to me.

They work on more than Mustangs. I have seen Camaros and many old muscle cars in the shop.
http://www.motion-dynamics.net/

Chuck
CMC #14

GlennCMC70
01-05-2008, 11:01 PM
i think someone from that shopis a registered user here. next time you guys talk w/ them, ask them to post up about thier shop and services.

Wirtz
01-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Any updates or plans for an Austin Dynofest?

Also, are any of the inspectors in the Austin area? Sure would be nice to get the log book stuff done in advance to avoid the zoo at the track. Not that you guys are animals of anything ;)

Jeff

GlennCMC70
01-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Any updates or plans for an Austin Dynofest?

Also, are any of the inspectors in the Austin area? Sure would be nice to get the log book stuff done in advance to avoid the zoo at the track. Not that you guys are animals of anything ;)

Jeff

the zoo at the track has been resolved. allyou AI/CMC racers w/ a car that has a NASA logbook already only needs to find Todd or Al at your first event of the season. all new issue log books will still need to see NASA TX Tech. look for a post outlining this new process.

mitchntx
01-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Sweet.

What is Todd's mailing address? I'll send mine to him this week and he can return it to me signed off.

GlennCMC70
01-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Sweet.

What is Todd's mailing address? I'll send mine to him this week and he can return it to me signed off.

lunch on Mitch. seems he's got money to burn in order to be able to to ship his CMC car to Houston and back just to get tech done early.

daddy warbucks.

jeffburch
01-21-2008, 10:14 PM
ya'll should get a room 8)
Is this just in Tx or all regions?
thx,
jb

mitchntx
01-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Sweet.

lunch on Mitch. seems he's got money to burn in order to be able to to ship his CMC car to Houston and back just to get tech done early.

daddy warbucks.

I think I'll settle for just the log book, thanks.

GlennCMC70
01-21-2008, 11:30 PM
ya'll should get a room 8)
Is this just in Tx or all regions?
thx,
jb

since this was a result of a meeting w/ NASA TX,key Staff and class directors last weekend and neither NASA TX nor the AI/CMC Directors have any authority w/ other regions, i have no idea. consult w/ the other regions to find out.

GlennCMC70
01-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Sweet.

daddy warbucks.

I think I'll settle for just the log book, thanks.

good luck getting it signed w/ no car in sight.

donovan
01-22-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm going to work on it today and see about getting us a date.

Jan 26th or Feb 2nd...?? Which works better for you guys?

So far I know that I have:

Jeff W.
Morgan D.

I have talked with a couple of the racers about what dyno to use, for the past few years we have been using ART. We had an offer to use the Motion Dynamics facility, but from what I have heard from a few of the guys, they really like ART's facility, shop, parking and people... plus they wanted to use back to back dynos as much as possible...

It looks like ART is where I will try first for a dyno day.

Anyone else interested?

DD

y5e06
01-22-2008, 10:37 AM
yes, I'm in but for 2-Feb only. I'll be in CO for a week starting tomorrow.

ShadowBolt
01-23-2008, 11:19 AM
yes, I'm in but for 2-Feb only. I'll be in CO for a week starting tomorrow.

I just got back from a week in Telluride last night.

JJ

ShadowBolt
01-30-2008, 11:03 AM
David,

Are we on for this weekend (Dyno day)? I need to get in and out early if I can. I left you a message yesterday on your cell and have not heard back yet.

Jerry

donovan
01-30-2008, 12:37 PM
I got your message... just busy...

I have called a few times to get something set up, but don't have a firm confirmation just yet. Still working on it, if I can't get a firm time setup today I will need to look else ware.

We will have something.

DD

donovan
01-31-2008, 12:59 PM
So, here is what we got:
http://www.colvinautomotive.com/ Directions are on there webpage.
Get there and unload at 10:30, our time slot is 11:00... Hookup and three pulls.

Sorry for the delay guys, I had tried to get the Motion Dynamics dyno, but they are closed this Saturday. Cody at ART has been out, and David there did not want to schedule anything... Yesterday I talked with Cody and they will not be in the shop this Saturday either... Colvin has always been a good fallback for us and Daniel always gets me worked into his schedule.

DD

Wirtz
01-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks Dave, I'm in for sure.

Jeff

y5e06
02-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks Dave!
Went and picked up the rig tonight. I'll be there.

y5e06
02-02-2008, 11:01 PM
229.8/304.5 with a 32mm plate. sheshh, looks like I'll have to run 3250lbs. I don't think a 31mm plate would have helped as peak torque was around 2300rpm
'07 227.4/294.0 w/ no changes (32mm plate) except two different dyno locations.
'06 232.9/306.1 w/ 33mm plate, everything else the same.

maybe I should fatten up my exhaust pipe to drop those tq numbers.

Al Fernandez
02-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Man, people out there would kill for your #s. Little extra weight wont hurt...ask me how I know 8)

y5e06
02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
dyno graphs Feb '08

y5e06
02-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Ok, I noticed something strange here.
Colvin's guy emailed me the three dyno run raw files.
I uploaded the dynojet winpep software (free).
selecting SAE and smoothing 5 I get the numbers in this above post, which show slightly different than what I reported before.

I do not have the originals in front of me.
according to the dyno sheet form
2. All dyno readings must be corrected to SAE J1349 Rev JUN90 (29.23 in/hg, 77F, zero humidity) and the dyno’s smoothing function must be set to 5

in the above graphs you can see I selected SAE and smoothing 5.

what am I missing? is there a *secret, special* SAE J1349 I need or is the generic SAE on the winpep viewer this J1349?

did the operator not have the original plots in the correct settings? he may not have. I'll have to check the original plots whenI get home.

the *new* numbers (from the same original raw data are 230.2/302.0

y5e06
02-04-2008, 05:24 PM
edit:

the suspect *new* numbers (from the same original raw data) using SAE & smoothing of 5 are:
230.2/302.0

y5e06
02-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Update:

Contacted ColvinAutomotive. They see the same, original, numbers on their PC (winpep 6)

Contacted DynoJet and here is an excerpt from their response:

The runviewer that we have for download is based on our Winpep 7 software. This software has been our primary software for over 4 years. I suspect that Colvin may still be using Winpep 6. There is a slightly different algorithm for calculating torque values between 6 and 7. This is most evident with Automatic transmission cars, but yours looks to be a manual. However when I displayed your ‘gear ratio’ there is a bit of ‘bumpiness’ to the graph lines, which could indicate some driveline issues, and these may be a factor in the slight difference in power.

The later version, Winpep 7, is more sensitive to such issues, which can be a good thing when looking for finer tuning details etc.

Keith Royle

Director of Dynamometer Sales

Dynojet Research Inc.

800-992-3525 xt 1121