PDA

View Full Version : paint and body work on a race car

ShadowBolt
01-05-2008, 10:22 AM
I know Michael and Marshall have a leg up on most of us but what do most of you do about paint and body work. Some of the AI/CMC cars are just flat good looking and mine looks like $hit. I saw some pics the other day of Todds and it looked like (before the crash) he had as much in his paint job as I have in the whole car. There is a local body shop that the owner races dirt track and he is into me for about $700.00 for laser work I have done for him. I need to know some idea how much it should be worth to get CMC 17 painted. I also will need one rear quarter repaired a little and maybe both front fenders replaced (I have the new fenders). I know several of the other cars have nice graphics. Are these painted on or are they stickers? Can someone put me in the ballpark? Are most doing base coat, clear coat or something way less expensive? I don't want to try and screw the guy I'm dealing with but I don't want to get screwed either. HELP!

JJ

GlennCMC70
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Jerry, my car was painted at Maaco for $700. that's inside and out and under the hood w/ 2 colors. the car was purple before.
the front clip has been done 2-3 times since and that was done by s co-worked in his garage. do not mess w/ base clear. not worth your time and money. single stage. intact, Orylies now carries pre mixed paint on the shelf that you just pour into a paint gun and shoot. its dupli color stuff so it should be good.
the most time consuming part is is body work and prep. that's where the money starts to stack up.

spend some time picking a color combo that screams race. Michael did a really nice job on that. but also keep in mind the complexity of repairs. every time i have to paint a front fender or nose, its 2 colors. that just about doubles your days required to paint it. we always shoot the black first then re-mask the next day and shoot the silver then wait another day. decent paint guns are not expensive either.

Wirtz
01-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Jerry,

If I am remembering right, you are in Georgetown?

My car was painted by a buddy of mine that does some side work. He also has a friend that does side work as well. Both are body shop guys for their profession. The cost and the time needed depends on who busy they might be at any point but if you would like I can see if they might be interested. Just let me know.

I also have a different buddy that does vinyl, he did all the numbers and letters on my car. He works out of an art shop in Georgetown and he is also a racer. Same thing, I can pass the info if you like.

Glenns comments on chosing a color scheme that is repariable is a good one.

One idea I have been playing around with, but not yet done if to do a simple one color paint scheme and then do the details with vinyl. Check this car out, all the graphics are vinyl, not paint. You can save the files for each part of the graphics, so if you need to replace a door panel for example, just recut the stuff you need there and apply. I really wanted flames on my car when I built it....
http://sth2.com/Z-car/

Anyway, just some ideas.

Jeff

marshall_mosty
01-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Jerry,
Give my dad a shout and he can talk to you about painting your car and whatever other body work you need.

He's painted:

My AI car
Michael's CMC car
Adam Ginsberg's CMC car
Nick Runyon's 3rd gen Camaro CMC car
Wayne Manor's CMC car
Chris Lyon's AI car (yet to be seen by the group... it's pretty sharp)
Robert Boudreaux (misc body panels)

John Mosty
972-234-3794 home
214-616-9556 cell

I'm assuming he's fair on body work and paint...

marshall_mosty
01-05-2008, 05:49 PM
...Robert Boudreaux (misc body panels)...

Okay, since I can't edit... that just sounds plain wrong... :shock:

I meant to say "Robert Boudreaux's CMC car (misc body panels)"

Rob Liebbe
01-05-2008, 09:17 PM
My car was done once in all white, then crashed, then patched together multi-color junkyard psychedelic, then painted in the Texas Flag livery. I friend/client owns a body shop and one of his painters did it after hours. I paid the painter what he would have gotten paid from the shop and my friend just simply ate what would have been profit. The paint shop name is listed as a sponsor on the car side windows. Another friend has the vinyl cutting equipment and executed my designs. The car looks good to me and I take a lot of pride in it.

There are a lot of nice looking cars in our region, but I don't think any of them spent a lot of money on them. Mine was done for under $1000 and that included some body work as well as the paint.

You have been offered a couple of possibilities and don't forget that Boudy can do vinyl - he did Burch's.

The only down side is the fear of screwing up a good-looking car.

I think your car was originally painted by Maaco.

AllZWay
01-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Dad and I painted my car.... now way is it as nice as others in the group, but I only have a couple hundreds bucks in it. On a side note ...red is very expensive paint.

I have a graphics sponsor that pays for all the numbering and lettering for free.

jeffburch
01-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Not worth the money to go 2 stage.
Get a silhoutte of the lines of the car and at the least sit down with several copies and some crayolas and come up with a scheme.
Boudy does this for me in Corel Draw.
We hammer back and forth via email many many times before we every lay anything down.
Whether it's vinyl or paint depends.
My grey flames are paint.
The rest is vinyl.
Do you employ any graphics folks?
Boudy is the guru in this stuff (sorry Boudy).

jb

jeffburch
01-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Here's 2 examples.
Below is our last 2 interations.
(these are renderings, not photos) :shock:
jb
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/pics/Burch_07-5.jpg
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/pics/Burch_07-6.jpg

jeffburch
01-05-2008, 11:54 PM
and the finished product
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/pics/graphics_07%20004.jpg

michaelmosty
01-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Jeff, I didn't know Glenn was your neighbor.

jeffburch
01-06-2008, 10:27 AM
fotochop

jb

AI#97
01-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Chris Lyon's AI car (yet to be seen by the group... it's pretty sharp)

Chris' car looks fuggin' GREAT!!! I saw it at an APEX event a few weeks back and it looks very cool!

Adam Ginsberg
01-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Chris' car looks fuggin' GREAT!!! I saw it at an APEX event a few weeks back and it looks very cool!

Agreed. All that's missing is the Boss 302 hockey stripes.

ShadowBolt
01-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks for all the great info. If my guy does not work out I will call Mr. Mosty. I did not even think about letting him give me a quote while we were at MSRC.

JJ

Adam Ginsberg
01-07-2008, 08:33 AM
...Robert Boudreaux (misc body panels)...

Okay, since I can't edit... that just sounds plain wrong... :shock:

I meant to say "Robert Boudreaux's CMC car (misc body panels)"

No, it was better the first time. ;)

Jerry - definitely give Mosty Sr. a shout. He's reasonable, does a great job, has a few very cool jalopies around to oogle at, and knows a good place to go for lunch. :D