PDA

View Full Version : looking for a trans shop for my 2500HD GMC.

GlennCMC70
01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
looks like my 2001 2500HD (6.0ltr gas) is going to need a new trans. i think its starting to slip due to the really hard shifts i get when towing my 8-10K lbs tag enclosed car hauler. i'm entertaining to the idea of either buying a reman unit locally, or having this one rebuilt and beefed up some.
the truck is 100% bone stock, so i dont need anything wild, just something that will hold up well to my way of towing (80mph w/ trailer! :D ).
i think its a 4L80E. who locally could do a basic rebuild and what costs am i looking at if i bring the case to them for a bench top repair? i'de like to keep this local to the DFW area and turn around time is important. this is the familys only daily driver and kid hauler

mitchntx
01-16-2008, 10:45 AM
You are welcome to use my Bronco while the truck is down.

I know it's not much to look at, but it's cheaper than a rental car.

GlennCMC70
01-16-2008, 11:04 AM
thanks. that helps alot.

AI#97
01-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Glenn, while the idea of getting a deal on a carryout trans sounds great, I HIGHLY suggest having the shop do all the work and get a warranty with it. TOO many times I have seen the carry out have issues and the shop not back up the work.

Also, as always, get a new Torque Converter and flush the cooler or replace it entirely. Do NOT let them sell you on flushing the existing convertor, it rarely lasts as it really doesn't do anything to remove the material from it.

Good luck!

GlennCMC70
01-16-2008, 11:47 AM
noted on the warranty. good point.
as for the converter, i'm looking towards an aftermarket one thats a little stronger. at this point, i think its the converter thats the problem.

ShadowBolt
01-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Glenn, while the idea of getting a deal on a carryout trans sounds great, I HIGHLY suggest having the shop do all the work and get a warranty with it. TOO many times I have seen the carry out have issues and the shop not back up the work.

Also, as always, get a new Torque Converter and flush the cooler or replace it entirely. Do NOT let them sell you on flushing the existing convertor, it rarely lasts as it really doesn't do anything to remove the material from it.

Good luck!

I agree that this can be an issue but even if they do stand behind a problem, you would be responsible for the R&R as many times as it takes them to get it right!

JJ