PDA

View Full Version : Upping ante...maybe?!

AI#97
01-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, after seeing marshal doing some nose work, I decided to attack a project I had been putting off for quite some time. I finally fixed the flimsy under tray to my splitter and reinforced the lower entire nose with tubing and some thicker aluminum to finally duct in the lower inlet only. I still have to fab up some mesh for a rock guard and trim piece to cover up the gnarly cuts but this will hopefully help plant the front of the car a little better.

Hopefully the weather will warm up soon so I can sand it down and prep for paint next weekend.

Gonna have to find another place for that toyo sticker I guess! :lol:

marshall_mosty
01-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Matt,
Now that's a big duct for air...

Once I get mine "finished", I'll post more pictures. I'm still waiting for my bending brake to come in before I can turn foam board and diaper boxes into something functional.

AI#97
01-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Matt,
Now that's a big duct for air...

Once I get mine "finished", I'll post more pictures. I'm still waiting for my bending brake to come in before I can turn foam board and diaper boxes into something functional.

It looks a lot bigger than it is. It's only 7" tall by 30.5" wide. My brake is only 30.5" wide so I couldn't make the hole any bigger! Overall, this is only about 20% less opening than what was there before and I have strategically made the lower sheet metal a large inclined plane for whatever effect it might have. I have a couple holes to fill in and hope to do that with spray "stuff" and then cut it smooth it out.

I am probably going to paint the entire nose silver to match the car with the catalyzed urethane I got and then paint the "mesh" and trim black...then I am going to try and find some decals for the appearance of headlights. The blacked out headlights has looked sort of sinister but I am going for the ultra smooth and mono paint scheme. Sticker wise, there is the required nasa stickers, car number, MM stickers, toyos and that's it. Keeping things simple and clean this year and showing off that factory silver paint!

My project for next weekend is the rear swaybar and new control arms... I am hoping I can get that done prior to Houston so I can have something recent for comparison. I haven't run at Cresson on the 1.7 since 4/06!!! I am supposed to get my new fire system middle of the week so that will need to get done as well!

AI#97
02-03-2008, 04:04 PM
completed the screen, lower mounts and fresh paint. The new lower mount arrangement might actually create some downforce this time as the other was just flapping in the wind.

Now if I can just get some mileage and good lap times out of these 9/06 tires...one is 12/05!!! ;)

Oh, and peek at teh dyno chart...I am looking for ballast :shock:

donovan
02-04-2008, 12:55 AM
WOW, what did you do to get the power increase?

I though you were down near 310HP/315TQ last year?

You are now up there with me, 331HP/351TQ...!!

DD

marshall_mosty
02-04-2008, 08:29 AM
You guys depress my "little ole" 292/302 from last year... but hey, my minimum is 2774. I just "might" need some ballast this year. Need to see what the "rebuilt" motor makes :wink:

AI#97
02-04-2008, 08:43 AM

DD

We put the less agressive cold air tune back in it to stay with the old numbers and with a different spark plug and it was pathetic...like 305/310. Put the hot air tune on it and it woke up...it put down 337/347 and we starting bringing it back down and this is as far as we could go without it going nuts and pulling 10 degrees timing on the big end...so I left well enough alone. I think I will be ok on weight with the new fire system and leaving the passenger seat in...but I might need to add about 60lbs depending on the scales. I am going to try and source some lead this week just in case.

Al Fernandez
02-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Its a beautiful thing! As if you werent fast enough last year!! :lol: Cant wait to hear that thing screaming by 8)

AI#97
02-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Its a beautiful thing! As if you werent fast enough last year!! :lol: Cant wait to hear that thing screaming by 8)

From what I understand, I am going to need it. Houston is going to be interesting! ;)

David Love AI27
02-04-2008, 08:03 PM

DD

but I might need to add about 60lbs depending on the scales. I am going to try and source some lead this week just in case.

I picked up @ 50lbs of lead over the weekend... needs to be melted and formed... any ideas on how to make a bolt-on weight???

AllZWay
02-04-2008, 09:01 PM
[quote="AI#97"][quote=donovan]
I picked up @ 50lbs of lead over the weekend... needs to be melted and formed... any ideas on how to make a bolt-on weight???

Melt into a valve cover and drill holes in it.

Cheap baking pans work good also.

jeffburch
02-04-2008, 09:25 PM
My dad used to make trout line weights out of lead.
The only device he had that got hot enough was a Coleman camp stove.
He would use iron skillets purchased from garage sales.

jb