PDA

View Full Version : Roof problems - i'm about ready to kill insurance adjusters!

GlennCMC70
01-29-2008, 07:50 PM
once again the wind has removed select sections of my roof.

about 1.5 years ago i had a large section on one side of my roof blow off due to high winds (less than 50 MPH). i called the insurance company to send an adjuster to come out and look at it. they did and told me they would only replace the one side (1 of 4 sides) of the roof, as there was no issues w/ the rest of it. i told him that was BS, if one side blew off so easy, the rest was sure to follow. they would only pay for the one side. to replace the one side was just a couple hundred more than my deductible. so i told them to forget it. i had a roofer come out and replace the missing shingles for around $600. about 6 months after that it happened again on one of the sides the adjuster told me had no issues. i was very pissed, but i didn't bother w/ calling anyone, i fixed it myself. now today it happened again on the same side as the 2nd time but in a completely unrelated area. i went ahead and fixed it today again.

the roof was new (new house) in Oct 99, so its less than 10 years old.
i blame this on a very poor installation. one major issue (i think its an issue) is they didn't peal the clear film off the back of the shingle covering the tar strip on any of the shingles. isn't this supposed to be pealed off to allow them to "glue" themselves together? the shingles are just ripping thru the roofing nails. do i have a leg to stand on here? in my eyes they should have replaced the whole thing the first time. I've called them and they are sending an adjuster out w/in 3 days. i had to fix it today due to the threat of rain on Thursday.
thoughts? feedback? questions?

GlennCMC70
01-29-2008, 07:56 PM
i need to add that each of these times the wind speed was under 50 mph.

GlennCMC70
01-29-2008, 08:06 PM
http://www.askthebuilder.com/QA_-_Shingles_-_Clear_Tape_Mystery.shtml

clear tape mystery answered here. the quick answer - it does not have to be removed.

Al Fernandez
01-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Unless you can get a roofer to sign papers that your roof was installed incorrectly, or you can find some sort of warranty provision in your contract I think you might be SOL. Even then you'd still be swimming upstream.