PDA

View Full Version : What oil cooler to use?

michaelmosty
04-25-2006, 04:18 PM
I am looking for suggestions on a new oil cooler for the Mustang. I have been running a small FRPP cooler (10" X 11" X 1.5") that was $115 but it's not getting the job done. This last event I was getting 215 water and 290 oil. Even in Houston in Feb. the oil still was hitting 260.
All suggestions are greatly appreciated. I would like to get a good cooler but stay away from the $500 "bad-boys" that are on the market.
Thanks for the help.

mitchntx
04-25-2006, 04:20 PM
I have a 3 row, 8x16 (I think) Mocal that Adam held hostage for months.

I would let it go cheap ...

michaelmosty
04-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Do the # of rows differ from each manufacturer? The FRPP cooler I got from Summit says it is a 35 row cooler. They must be some pretty small rows.
Should I be concerned w/ the # of rows, cubic size of the cooler, or other factors?

Maybe I should just remove the oil temp. gauge. :shock:

AI#97
04-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Sizing of heat exchangers is predominantly based on the size of the swept area for the "cooling" medium, in your case area of fin, that is in contact with the Hot medium and can be used to cool the liquid. Bigger is better mantra. the number of rows is kind of a relative notion.... What you want is something that will stand the pressure, have the maximum area and create as little restriction as possible.

Your next alternative is to get the bad mutherfugger radiator which has the water/oil cooler built in the side tank....however, they are pricey and I am not certain about CMC legality....

donovan
04-25-2006, 07:22 PM
I run a 25 row MOCAL from Pegasus Racing... with AN lines.

It's the same unit that Maximum sells in there kit.

DD

David Love AI27
04-25-2006, 08:30 PM
You seem to miss the most important factor... the oil MUST go through the cooler before it will work... I sure it cooled pretty fast on the asphalt but that doesn't help the motor much :twisted:

mitchntx
04-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Let's get some terminology straight ...

I'm calling "rows" how many stacks of tube there are, not how many tubes high the cooler is.

The cooler I have has 8 tubes stacked and 3 deep and uses -10 AN fittings

My cooler isn't pretty, but it's been cleaned and pressure tested.

I bought it from Tripp Motorsports in NC and it supposedly came off of a Nextel Cup car that had been wrecked. By the looks of it when I got it, it came off of Robby Gordon's car ...

But I had it repaired and tested.

macstang
04-25-2006, 10:59 PM
we have the Mocal one from Max Motorsports. Temps over the weeknd were never higher than 200/235.

I think tws in august was 210/240