PDA

View Full Version : Wow ... that was a little too close

mitchntx
02-13-2008, 05:45 PM
The wife called me about 3:30 and said the sheriff department came by and told her to evacuate because of a grass fire.

Fire burned up to homes in the addition behind us ... about 3 blocks away!

Forestry service helicopters and tankers along with the local VFD put it out in very short order. Also, amny of the home owners had their sprinkler systems going.

Back home now, none the worse for wear. But, that was a little too close.

Todd Covini
02-13-2008, 05:48 PM
You've been doing a lot of electrical work.
Was you battery disconnect off?
:shock:

(glad all is well)

AllZWay
02-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Mitch.... Glad to hear that all is well. That probably was way too close for comfort.

mitchntx
02-14-2008, 11:08 AM
The wife called me about 3:30 and said the sheriff department came by and told her to evacuate because of a grass fire.

When the wife called and explained what the sheriff had said, she asked ...

"What do I do?" :roll:

I told her to go out to the shop, get the 5 gallon can of gasoline for the lawnmower, sit with it on the back porch and watch for leaping flames.

She didn't think it was very funny ... at the time.

James, 3 blocks sounds like a long way away. But when it burned 3/4 of a mile in 15 minutes, it's too damn close.

Fortunately for the neighborhood, the local water authority was in our neighborhood prepping a site for a concrete pour and had a couple small dozers pushing dirt around.

Those guys immediately began cutting fire breaks and probably saved many of our homes because of their quick thinking.