PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage

Jeremy Gunter
02-13-2008, 07:14 PM
I was talking to a few people this weekend about Cages. My question is really something I got through one of my conversations with AI guys. They were talking about how their cages have plates that tie into the body/frame of the car, and how CMC can only have "X" amount of tie in points. They said to check the CMC rules, so on the ride home with Mosty, I was looking through his rule book. I didn't go to college, but my mom is a reading teacher, and usually I don't have a problem reading, but I couldn't find anything about "roll cage" in the rules. I read some stuff about chassis stiffening referring to Sub frame connectors Etc. but nothing about the cage.

The real question here is... How many spots can the roll cage come into contact with the frame? 6? 8? 10?

Thanks for a great weekend, I had a lot of fun, learned more than I can remember, and saw some AMAZING racing. I can't wait to be apart of this group, On and off the track.

GlennCMC70
02-13-2008, 07:37 PM
the limit is 8........... but the 7th and 8th points are limited in thier placement. 7th and 8th points are allowed from the lower A pillar bars forward to the firewall. they may not go thru the firewall.

if you want to do it the simple way, look at whats already in front of you. there is no use in trying to re-invent the wheel here.
mian hoop = 2 points
rear down bars = 2 points
front down bars (a pillar bars) = 2 points
opional 7th/8th points w/ the A pillar to firewall bars.

you can add a few extra bars here and there, but they all must land on those plates the above mentioned bars land on. w/ a limit on how large the plates can be in square inches, your pretty limited here.
if your doing a 3rd/4th gen car, i can drop by and show you what i know. myself and Mitch can also do it for you. we can bend up a kit for you to install too if thats what you want.

GlennCMC70
02-13-2008, 07:37 PM
also, the cage rules are in the CCR, not the CMC rules.

AI#97
02-13-2008, 10:41 PM
if your doing a 3rd/4th gen car, i can drop by and show you what i know. myself and Mitch can also do it for you. we can bend up a kit for you to install too if thats what you want.

He's building a 99+ mustang like mine... He's on the right track but he was asking about the plates we had going from the main hoop to the B pillar and the pillars....not CMC legal. He's smart enough NOT to do a camaro! ;)

GlennCMC70
02-13-2008, 10:45 PM
aaahhhhh, gotcha.
Matt's right. in CMC you can only tie to the floor and firewall.

Jeremy Gunter
02-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Cool, my question has been answered about the points connecting to the floor/firewall.

Glenn, Thanks for the offer to stop by and show me. But I'm a Ford guy. Just trying to get everything straight, from words spoken to written rule between the pits and my car build.

Anyone I spoke to about car stuff at the track, thanks for the input and advice. Not many of classes of racing throughout the country would be willing to help as much as this group. It's rare, and very inviting to newcomers...

Next Step, read the CCR!