PDA

View Full Version : Lemme be first!!!!!!

mitchntx
04-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Where's the write up of the April race?

jeffburch
04-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Where's the write up of the April race?

Does anyone here have a connection at GRM?
What is their deadline date/time?

I'll help out. I have spell check.
Just like the BBQ, community effort (with MW doing 80%).
Deligate.

jb

AI#97
04-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Does anyone here have a connection at GRM?
What is their deadline date/time?
jb

Here is the contact and an updated description of what they WILL accept for the future.... should answer ALL of your questions.....and yes, I have been doing research....

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Lear [mailto:scott@grassrootsmotorsports.com]
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 12:42 PM
To: matt@aggie97.com
Subject: Re: NASA TX write ups....

Matt, we've made some changes to the way Speednews is compiled, and it's our intention to jump the focus around a bit, so while we won't cover each region in each issue, we'll certainly try to get everyone included in the longer run. Keep us in the loop on future event coverage and we'll get you in at the earliest possible opportunity. If you haven't seen it yet, I'm going to copy a letter coverage the new format, forgive the long read but it should get you in the loop. Thanks again, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Here are some guidelines to pass along to the potential contributors, thanks as always.

First off, here are the deadlines for the next few issues:
August 2006 GRM: May 10 deadline
October 2006 GRM: June 28 deadline
November 2006 GRM: August 15 deadline
December 2006 GRM: Sept. 13 deadline

Each issue of Speednews will include a couple of race weekend recaps, and these articles will summarize an entire weekend's activities, from standout cars in the HPDEs to the number of rookies graduated to the racing ranks. Also, it is our intention to include some racing highlights regardless of series in this coverage, and include a results box to recognize those who emerged victorious in their respective classes. These submissions are being organized through the regional directors.

This race weekend coverage format frees up the Class News section to hit on not only race highlights from a particular class, but also to cover rules changes, new car debuts and the like for each of the various classes. Because NASA has so many great classes--all of whom deserve coverage--and because space is at a premium in the magazine, the new format aims to hit on the highlights from each class and bring pertinent and interesting information to Speednews readers.

Class News Guidelines:

-Length: Because there are many classes and space is tight, submissions should be short; 125 words equals about two paragraphs, and should be considered the maximum word count. If you can say it in less, please do so; this leaves more space for photos.

-Not Just Coverage: Think of the section as Class News and not just race coverage. Rules changes, car weight adjustments or restrictor plates, big new sponsors and contingency programs, the classification of a new car for the class--things of this nature should be considered paramount when you're coming up with ideas for your Class News. Not only do they apply to everyone who participates in the series, but they might appeal to other racers who don't yet participate in your series, or even non-NASA members who are GRM subscribers looking for a place to run their soon-to-be racecar.

-Race Highlights: A guideline we often use at the office is, "If I wasn't there, why do I care?" If you've opted to mention race coverage, make sure it's something that stands out from the crowd. Passing happens all the time in racing, and so do close battles; only mention them if they're really spectacular. If 15 cars held the lead during a 20-lap sprint race, that's unusual. If somebody's V8 blew the left bank on the last corner but they still took the win, that's not something you see everyday. If a veteran debuted a brand-new car and it was dominant, that's cool. If a rookie started at the back but worked his way up to second, that's more interesting than the winner walking away to victory. Only mention the weather if it was a factor, but remember space is tight.

-Key Information: Whenever you mention a driver for the first time, use their first and last name and mention the year, make and model of the car they were racing. If it's a spec series, knowing the year is still handy.

-Photos: All event coverage should come with high-resolution (1600x1200 or larger) photos. With photos, bigger is always better. These can be emailed directly to me as attachments at the address below. Also, having three photos to choose from is better than just one.

The June 06 issue of GRM contains the first Speednews that uses this new format, it should give you an idea of what we're looking for. In this case, most of the stories were distilled from longer race reports, but we're hoping to see more Class news in the future. Please don't hesitate to contact me at scott@grassrootsmotorsports.com if you have any questions.

Thanks very much,

Scott R. Lear
Club Editor
Grassroots Motorsports / Classic Motorsports
scott@grassrootsmotorsports.com
386-673-4148
fax 386-673-6040

Todd Covini
04-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Here is the contact and an updated description of what they WILL accept for the future.... should answer ALL of your questions.....and yes, I have been doing research....

Thanks Matt!

I had seen the previous format guidelines, but not that new one. Just to add to that, we submit our writeups thru NASA National. THEY submit to GRM (and have typically dictated our deadlines.) We have historically done 2 writeups...one for web...one (short) one for GRM. In years past, we would submit the same GRM article to other mags...but when they didn't take suction on them, it dropped off.

Couple things from your research. Pretty interesting how the May 10 deadline doesn't publish until AUGUST!!! We're pretty glum when last month's event isn't in GRM, but those timespreads actually tell more of the story. I think as the series grows nationally our share of publicity will be tougher to come out on top, but I certainly hope not, since we're the biggest and best region to date!!!

Looks like there's room now in the new format for "racer profiles" so go ahead and submit your own profile and story...who knows, it could end up in the NASA Speednews or in the back profile section!

-=- Todd

Adam Ginsberg
04-27-2006, 01:12 AM
For those that haven't seen it yet:

http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm?pagetype=2&form_article=11434