PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac Solstice Recall

Jeremy Gunter
03-06-2008, 11:56 PM
I don't know if you have heard about this one, but I got a call about an hour ago from a long time friend, who thinks I know about cars, and she had a bad accident today in her Solstice... she is ok!

Apparently there is a recall on the differentials, front and rear, that the pinion seal is leaking. This is taking place while the car is at speed so the fluid is flung under the car in a mist. you can't tell that the fluid is leaking as no puddles form.

She said she was driving down I-30 today while it was raining, around lunch, everything was normal and all of a sudden the car went into a spin. Knowing what I know about spinning a car, from experience, I asked her if she was accelerating, braking, turning and she said she was doing none of these... If you knew Chelsea, you'd know she doesn't do much outside the box, in fact, her box is about 1/2 the size of the general populations... (keep it clean) so she is no where near the edge with anything she does... especially driving!!! maybe talking :P

Her husband doesn't know much about cars, so when he took the car to get it serviced they did the recall, but yet she still seemed to have the problem where the rear diff. actually seized up on her... contribute the rain to the accident or you could question her lack of knowledge/driving skill, but to have a car like that just loose control doesn't seem likely at 60mph... without a failure... it was raining, and she would be one to be cautious in the rain as well...
Curious what you experts think...
Any thoughts?

Rsmith350
03-07-2008, 12:11 AM
I'll check all active recalls when i get to the shop and see what i can find out. They don't do these things unless there have been major problems(read.... possible lawsuits) They would have just put out a technical service bulletin. They usually give symptoms and possible outcomes when they do things of this nature so i willl see what I can find out.

BryanL
03-07-2008, 09:00 AM
BLACK ICE

mitchntx
03-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Did she have the cruise control engaged?

If the car hydroplaned, even slightly, it could have made the problem worse.

Jeremy Gunter
03-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't think the roads were Iced yet... I guess they could have been, but it was still in the mid 30s range, not on a bridge...

She did not have the cruise control on...

I haven't talked to her today, but my wheels have been spinning about what could have happened... I haven't found an answer in my head yet... I wish I could get a look at the car...

jeffburch
03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Slide under the car and have a gander.

jb

Rob Liebbe
03-07-2008, 08:46 PM
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/results.cfm

from the National Highway and Transportation Administration

You can search recalls and technical service bullitens

Jeremy Gunter
03-13-2008, 10:31 PM
update,

She is in contact with the group above and GM...

Doesn't look like they cleaned the Diff after the recall was completed... or if they did, it's still leaking... I will keep you guys updated...