What do you think?
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z208/dirwin_photos/FrontEnd.jpg

ShadowBolt
03-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I like it!

Jerry

GlennCMC70
03-10-2008, 11:29 AM
about time you guys stopped F'ing around!
nice.

jeffburch
03-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Looks fine.
Maybe some faux stickers to make it look stock.
Know any airbrush artists?
I bet there's one on the streets of Canton somewhere.
jb

AI#97
03-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Copy cat! :lol:

Looks good! You guys making Cresson?!

michaelmosty
03-10-2008, 12:29 PM
That is a nice change, good lookin hood!

dirwin
03-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Haven't found any stickers for headlights yet. Lots out there for Fox body cars, just no 05-08's.

Yea, I'm through f'ing around with this. Took a year off and everyone got serious.

We will be at Cresson. It will be fun to see how some of the changes work out. Got snowed out of testing it last Friday :roll: .

RichardP
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
What do you think?

No where near the limit of the AI rules... But then neither is anyone else. Yet.

Looks good though. :D

Richard P.

AllZWay
03-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Looks fine.
Maybe some faux stickers to make it look stock.
Know any airbrush artists?
I bet there's one on the streets of Canton somewhere.
jb

Looks good... here is a good place to check for stickers.

http://www.fivestarbodies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2544_3010

dirwin
03-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Richard,

I have the piece cut that would go from the nose of the bumper to the lip of the hood making it about a 45 degree slope instead of a air dam, but I haven't been able to get a ruling as to whether changing the WHOLE nose was legal. Any ideas as to the legality?

Five Star has stickers for a 93, just no 05-08.

donovan
03-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Looks awesome!

Hope I can keep up.

DD

dirwin
03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
I've got to catch you John and Matt first. One step at a time grasshopper.

AI#97
03-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Any ideas as to the legality?

Technically, you could put a nose off a lamborghini Diablo on the car as long as the shock towers and frame rails stay in place and you meet track and wheelbase requirements.

I was looking into one piece lift off noses a few months ago that would be the hood, fenders nose and splitter all made in one piece of fiberglass but decided I didn't need it....for now. :lol: There are some REAL nice noses for the 05+ cars that the Pro5.0 and Promods are using that are sectioned, lowered and smoothed that would look great on an your car!

You may want to take it one step at a time though to make sure you aren't affecting cooling to the motor or brakes. Seems the fox guys who recently did aero may have affected their brake cooling ducts!

See you in a few days!

donovan
03-10-2008, 03:34 PM
You are right there with us!

DD :wink:

marshall_mosty
03-10-2008, 04:09 PM
...Seems the fox guys who recently did aero may have affected their brake cooling ducts!

Depends on who you talk to. I didn't have any issues with the old LX nose, and now the brake cooling air is funnelled from two 5" coffee can openings. Shouldn't be an issue as I see it!!!

See you guys in a few!

dirwin
03-10-2008, 04:20 PM
After my oil temp problems in Houston I finally got off my rear and built a sealed radiator air box that should keep things nice and cool (damn near sucked in the dog when the fan came on).

The problem with running a one piece is the my hood is already carbon fiber and weighs less than 4 pounds (before paint), stock OEM S197 fenders have no inner support and only weigh 7 or so pounds each and the entire bumper cover is right at 11 pounds. I can lose just about everthing that weighs underneath except the strut towers and frame rails and I think a giant fiberglass front would be heavier. Not to mention, you really have to keep some of the OEM support for the strut tower or I am going to go backwards with the top of the strut flopping all over the place. These cars are always going to be heavier than a fox or SN95 and they are really rough on strut supports.

AI#97
03-10-2008, 04:36 PM
After my oil temp problems in Houston I finally got off my rear and built a sealed radiator air box that should keep things nice and cool (damn near sucked in the dog when the fan came on).

The problem with running a one piece is the my hood is already carbon fiber and weighs less than 4 pounds (before paint), stock OEM S197 fenders have no inner support and only weigh 7 or so pounds each and the entire bumper cover is right at 11 pounds. I can lose just about everthing that weighs underneath except the strut towers and frame rails and I think a giant fiberglass front would be heavier. Not to mention, you really have to keep some of the OEM support for the strut tower or I am going to go backwards with the top of the strut flopping all over the place. These cars are always going to be heavier than a fox or SN95 and they are really rough on strut supports.

Overall, I have added weight to the front of mine...but generated MUCH more aerodynamic benefits and down force....with more to come! :twisted:

Todd Covini
03-10-2008, 09:43 PM
7.4.3 Only OEM (or the equivalent replacement of same type and material) body panels may used in the American Iron Class except as noted in Sections 7.4.4 and 7.4.7.
7.4.4 Composite hoods, hatchbacks, trunk lids, front fenders, fender flares, and bumper covers (fiberglass/carbon fiber, etc.) are allowed within the power to weight ratio constraints of the American Iron Class.
7.4.7 AI vehicles may modify wheel openings for the purpose of tire clearance only but when viewed from above the top half of the tire must not be visible. Composite (fiberglass/carbon fiber, etc) front fenders and rear fender flares are allowed.

I'd check with the AI Series Directors prior to going to the next step and chopping/channeling or installing a Superbird nose. :lol:

I'll get a read from the National directors, but let's be sure prior to proceeding any further than where you're at. :wink:

Car looks mean!

-=- Todd

Todd Covini
03-10-2008, 10:07 PM
What do you think?

No where near the limit of the AI rules... But then neither is anyone else. Yet.
Is this more of what you're thinking of, RP?
http://www.downspike.com/movies/deathrace/machinegunjoe.jpg

chicane23
03-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I like, I like!!!!
Looks great and very mean! ;-)

Have fun and kick there but at MSR-C

AI#97
03-10-2008, 11:03 PM
7.4.3 Only OEM (or the equivalent replacement of same type and material) body panels may used in the American Iron Class except as noted in Sections 7.4.4 and 7.4.7.
7.4.4 Composite hoods, hatchbacks, trunk lids, front fenders, fender flares, and bumper covers (fiberglass/carbon fiber, etc.) are allowed within the power to weight ratio constraints of the American Iron Class.
7.4.7 AI vehicles may modify wheel openings for the purpose of tire clearance only but when viewed from above the top half of the tire must not be visible. Composite (fiberglass/carbon fiber, etc) front fenders and rear fender flares are allowed.

I'd check with the AI Series Directors prior to going to the next step and chopping/channeling or installing a Superbird nose. :lol:

I'll get a read from the National directors, but let's be sure prior to proceeding any further than where you're at. :wink:

Car looks mean!

-=- Todd

Why? If it's going to come down to JWL's decision on a case by case basis, why have a rules book at all?! :roll:

Todd Covini
03-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Why? If it's going to come down to JWL's decision on a case by case basis, why have a rules book at all?! :roll:

...'cause I really, really hate it when someone expends a ton of time, money and energy on something that is legal "in their eyes" only to find out afterward from the officials that it's not.

Clearly there's nothing wrong with David's new nose, nor your new nose Matt...but when you guys start getting "creative" and pushing the envelope even more, I worry a bit. It's always better to ask first and avoid any ill feelings.

IMO...I read "OEM replacement panels" as meaning something that's relatively the same shape and size. IMO, a slantnose Mustang would have to employ non-OEM sized fenders and hood.

There's got to be a line...in AI, we just don't know where that line is just yet. Stay tuned.

-=- Todd

chicane23
03-11-2008, 12:19 AM

...'cause I really, really hate it when someone expends a ton of time, money and energy on something that is legal "in their eyes" only to find out afterward from the officials that it's not.

Clearly there's nothing wrong with David's new nose, nor your new nose Matt...but when you guys start getting "creative" and pushing the envelope even more, I worry a bit. It's always better to ask first and avoid any ill feelings.

IMO...I read "OEM replacement panels" as meaning something that's relatively the same shape and size. IMO, a slantnose Mustang would have to employ non-OEM sized fenders and hood.

There's got to be a line...in AI, we just don't know where that line is just yet. Stay tuned.

-=- Todd

You might not want to read the April 5.0 Mustang Mag where the Agent 47 AIX car has changed the fenders locations and has a larger hood, and I quote "a hood 5 inches wider than stock"

Don't mean to add fuel just pointing out info.

:-(

jeffburch
03-11-2008, 01:32 AM

Yup.

jb

Todd Covini
03-11-2008, 08:47 AM
AIX is a different animal than AI.

-=- T

RichardP
03-11-2008, 08:59 AM

-=- T

Well that's true. In AIX you can replace all the body panels. In AI, you can replace everything except for the doors, the roof, and some ambiguous portion of the rear quarter panel...

Richard P.

dirwin
03-11-2008, 09:51 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z208/dirwin_photos/AlteredFront.jpg
What I am talking about wouldn't require any fender or bumper modifications, just the addition of sheet metal.

I would be more than happy to make the air dam out of 1/8" Lexan if you want to still see the top of the OEM bumper cover.

AI#97
03-11-2008, 10:27 AM

-=- T

uh, I could do the very same thing in AI with stock fenders and some sheet metal to widen the hood... Not that I really want that extra 5" of frontal area...but NOTHING in the rules says I can't, unless I am stupid and ask JWL for permission...besides, so far it seems OK to ask for forgiveness rather than for permission because it will just result in a rules modification in your favor. It's sort of a self inflicted rules creep situation! :lol:

chicane23
03-11-2008, 11:29 AM

-=- T

Well that's true. In AIX you can replace all the body panels. In AI, you can replace everything except for the doors, the roof, and some ambiguous portion of the rear quarter panel...

Richard P.

No sure what your points are? Everything that was done to the Agent 47 car would be legal for AI. All components are within the AI rules.

AI#97
03-11-2008, 12:12 PM
No sure what your points are? Everything that was done to the Agent 47 car would be legal for AI. All components are within the AI rules.

That is Richard's sarcasm...he is making the same points we are.

Dave, looked at your second picture on my PDA at lunch...if you do that, it will look pretty sweet!

RichardP
03-11-2008, 12:12 PM

I guess maybe the subtly of my point was lost. There are no differences in the bodywork rules between AI and AIX as far as this discussion is concerned. Todd seems to believe there is or at least there should be.

Richard P.

Todd Covini
03-11-2008, 02:48 PM
There are no differences in the bodywork rules between AI and AIX as far as this discussion is concerned. Todd seems to believe there is or at least there should be.

Richard P.

Yes. History seems to be repeating itself.
http://news-images.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/4/6/4/7/5/Dodge-Daytona-Race-Car.jpg

Adam Ginsberg
03-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Yes. History seems to be repeating itself.
http://news-images.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/4/6/4/7/5/Dodge-Daytona-Race-Car.jpg

You should have a NSFW warning on that image. Good lord that thing is sexy.....

dirwin
03-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Not that it really matters, but the Superbird and the Daytona used the fenders and hoods that were OEM stock 1970 Road Runner and Charger parts. The difference was in the 18" long nose.

Not to mention both would have been expressly prohibited in AI do to the fact that it's rear spoiler extended in excess of 1.5 inches beyond the rear bumper :wink:

Either way, I may have screwed up but I PM'd JWT for a official ruling.

RichardP
03-11-2008, 05:25 PM
rear spoiler extended in excess of 1.5 inches beyond the rear bumper

Yea, there is another fake rule that has no teeth. Rear bumper covers are open. Put the wing where you want it and make sure whatever you come up with for rear bodywork falls underneath it. It's OK if it happens to be more than a foot or wherever behind where the stock bumper cover would have ended... :roll:

Richard P.