PDA

View Full Version : open or enclosed

ShadowBolt
03-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Open or enclosed trailer? I have only used an open trailer so far because my gas coach was only supposed to pull 3500 lbs. I have a different coach now that will pull up to 10,000 lbs. A few months ago I bought a 24' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer (with A/C). Since weight will no longer be an issue I may start using the Enclosed trailer. What (if any) negatives are there associated with using an enclosed trailer instead of an open one? One thing I like about the open trailer is the car stays on the trailer in it's garage between races. The enclosed trailer will not fit in the pole barn I built for the race car. I will have to get an electric winch since there is no way I can get out of the car after driving it in the trailer.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
I saw that you had a new motorhome, what did you get?

ShadowBolt
03-11-2008, 03:34 PM
2005 Beaver Santium. I bought it from a friend who bought it then did not use it. It has 13,000 miles on it. I really wanted a Cummins and this one has a Cat C7 but it was too good a deal to pass up.

JJ

mitchntx
03-11-2008, 03:37 PM
I have a different coach now that will pull up to 10,000 lbs. A few months ago I bought a 24' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer (with A/C). Since weight will no longer be an issue

JJ

I suspect that trailer eats up 4000lbs of that 10K and the car another 3000.
That will leave 3K for "other stuff" and it goes pretty fast.

The problem with PitPal style storage shelves and tool boxes is that you tend to fill them up.

So be careful.

Pros of an enclosed:

Can store all your pit equipment in the trailer and reduce the time and hassle of loading and unloading all the gear.

Extra garage to store a car in

Cons of an enclosed:

By keeping all your track stuff in the trailer means you have to buy a second set of most everything.

extra garage gets in the way of the first one a lot of the time.

Wirtz
03-11-2008, 04:51 PM
And, it would seem in some cases, enclosed trailers (with your second set of everything) seems to become a target for theft :(

mitchntx
03-11-2008, 04:57 PM
And, it would seem in some cases, enclosed trailers (with your second set of everything) seems to become a target for theft :(

And sanctuary for sun weary family members ... :wink:

Wirtz
03-11-2008, 05:55 PM
No doubt! (thanks Mitch)

Don't get me wrong, I plan to step to an enclosed this year, part of my research has been how to secure it.

mitchntx
03-11-2008, 08:10 PM
part of my research has been how to secure it.

I concluded that it's just not possible ... just make it as difficult as possible.

I'm fortunate that I have enough room to park the trailer next to my house and have become very friendly with the neighbors. They know when I'm (we're) gone and look out for me. They also know my friends and know who is supposed to be here and who isn't.

I also double lock the hitch and park it in such a way that there is only 1 way to drag it out.

Finally, I park a vehicle against the hitch.

I have also bit the bullet and have the trailer, contents and race car insured with www.heacockclassic.com/site/ for replacement value.

Rob Liebbe
03-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Can you install some sort of alarm system on the trailer - I'm thinking car alarm syle equipment.

Todd Covini
03-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Corey knows how to run anything off of a trailer battery. :wink:

BryanL
03-11-2008, 09:29 PM
JJ-are you just curious about using the enclosed to go to the races instead of an open? Since you already own both like I do it isn't a question of which to get, but which to use.
You gas mileage and speed will suffer with the enclosed. Driving, braking, changing lanes is tougher with the enclosed especially if you don't have extendable mirrors. The open trailer is a little easier to load/unload. Enclosed is better for the rain and you can keep stuff in there from race to race.
I bought an enclosed to also use as a garage since I don't have a garage. It has a/c and I can sleep in it but you have the motor home for all that.
It may just depend on how much stuff (tools, chairs, tires, etc) that you need to carry that you can't bring with the enclosed.
Get the enclosed insured. Though I believe mitch's insurance will only cover the race car for a day before/after an event. Otherwise it has to be in a building.
Could always go with lojack.
Man whoever steals an enclosed sure will be disappointed to find a Rustang inside :lol: