PDA

View Full Version : Medicals

David Love AI27
03-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I got my medical 2 years ago and my license says it Expired 03/03/08 so I went to great trouble and expense (having to take a day off work) to get a new one, but I haven't sent it in to the national office yet... In another post Adam stated that there has been a change!?!? I'm 47 so what is the CURRENT rules concerning the medicals??

michaelmosty
03-11-2008, 08:10 PM
http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1816

From what I read your medical now expires in 2009. Don't take my word on it though.

mitchntx
03-11-2008, 08:15 PM
I got my medical 2 years ago and my license says it Expired 03/03/08 so I went to great trouble and expense (having to take a day off work) to get a new one, but I haven't sent it in to the national office yet... In another post Adam stated that there has been a change!?!? I'm 47 so what is the CURRENT rules concerning the medicals??

It appears Micheal is right ... you technically have another year. But I would certainly check with someone in charge for verification.

If I were you, I would hang onto the medical form till December 15th of this year and then submit it.

That should cover your medicals till December of 2011.

Todd Covini
03-11-2008, 08:16 PM
If you've done nothing, it now expires on 3/3/09.
If you've already redone your medical, the renewal will last now until 2011.

As Geico says, "Either way...you having filet mignon"!!!

-=- Todd

David Love AI27
03-11-2008, 09:41 PM
ok... so what if I bring the form this weekend in case it is questioned and mail it in next week to the national office??

marshall_mosty
03-11-2008, 11:02 PM
David,
I'm the Comp License Director (Pro-Tem) this weekend. No problem from my side. I think there is enough "upper level" folks on your side so you don't have to worry.

GlennCMC70
03-11-2008, 11:32 PM
send Dave Ho an email and just ask him. thats what Adam put in his post on this subject. Dave will get back w/ you same day. if push comes to shove, he will ask you to fax it in.

mitchntx
03-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Sent this to Mr. Ho last night ...

My 2008 Competition license shows my medical expires 5/31/2009. My last
medical form submittal was in May of 2007 at the age of 48. According to the above statutes, my new medical expiration date should be in May of 2010. Is this the correct interpretation of the changes?

He responded "yes" and I have a new comp license en-route.

This is significant for me. I suffer from hyper-tension (genetic) and therefore require an EKG each time a medical is required. Because this is elective, my insurance won't cover it. Cheapest place I have found to do an EKG is $350 plus the office visit and that was last year.

ShadowBolt
03-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Mitch,

When your 50 or over like me you have to have the EKG at every medical. I get a regular check up about every 12-15 months and they do a EKG as part of the physical. I have never paid anything except a co-pay. I had my doctor that did the EKG fax it to the doctor that did the race physical. Then I have to go back to this same guy every two years for my class 3 physical to keep my flying privileges. Up until this change I could legally fly over New York city with just a very basic check up every two years but to race I had to have one every year.......go figure. I like the change.

JJ

Todd Covini
03-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Crap...my medical expired late in 2007.
The rule changed in 2008....I still need to renew my medical and then it's good for 3 years.

Thought I was getting a freebie.

-=- T

mitchntx
03-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Jerry, I appreciate the tip.

However, my primary care physician can't (won't) bundle an EKG in with my covered, annual physical because "there is no medical reason" for it. At some point in time that might change, but for the near term ... it's on my dime.

And the 2 doc in boxes in town don't have the equipment and will refer me to someone else.

I could change my PCP, but choices are limited in Granbury and I like ole Doc Baldwin otherwise.

Adam Ginsberg
03-13-2008, 07:24 AM
However, my primary care physician can't (won't) bundle an EKG in with my covered, annual physical because "there is no medical reason" for it.

That just flat out sucks, Mitch.

We had our share of "run-ins" with Doctors over the past ~year or so, and it never ceases to amaze me how the basic concept of "customer service" fails to enter their consciousness. FWIW, we've had to damn near stamp our feet on the ground to get things done that we KNEW were the right thing to do. And, we got them taken care of.

It surprising to hear that, given your documented hyper-tension, your doctor won't do an EKG. Hell, I had one during my last physical, and I'm just a lad compared to you. ;)

If it were me, I'd be demanding one, causing a rucus, and wouldn't take no for an answer. More than likely, the insurance company is balking at the costs.

Now...back on topic...David - sorry to see you go through all the trouble of an updated medical, but that's a key reason why it's so important to regularly download ALL of the forms, rules, etc. Every now and then, it works in your favor. :)

David Love AI27
03-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Now...back on topic...David - sorry to see you go through all the trouble of an updated medical, but that's a key reason why it's so important to regularly download ALL of the forms, rules, etc. Every now and then, it works in your favor. :)

I can't download the forms cuz I don't have the programs to open them...

Adam Ginsberg
03-14-2008, 11:36 AM

David - the medical, like nearly ALL NASA forms, is a PDF file. You can download the free Adobe Acrobat reader from www.adobe.com. It costs NOTHING to download and use the reader.

David Love AI27
03-18-2008, 06:09 PM

David - the medical, like nearly ALL NASA forms, is a PDF file. You can download the free Adobe Acrobat reader from www.adobe.com. It costs NOTHING to download and use the reader.

THanks for bringing that to my attention, I had all the forms on my puter but it crashed and I am using Ambers. I'll check and see if adobe is loaded...