PDA

View Full Version : Funny Tidbit, drag racing vs. road racing costs.

AI#97
03-31-2008, 05:30 PM
A couple guys and I got into a web discussion lately about the costs of drag racing vs. road racing. assuming the cost to build both cars was the same, and generally broken parts costs were the same here is what we concluded.

cost per minute of actual track time for drag racing a mid 6 second 1/8mi car was somewhere in the neighborhood of $171/minute. We found out later that we were a little short on costs for a "Competitive" effort and ended up at over $200.

I used this last event at TWS as an example but didn't include lodging since I camped at the track and came up with a cost of about $3.69 per minute of track time!!!

You can also get as much track time at one of our weekends as it take for 413 trips to the drag strip!!

Just fun and intersting info!

K Shaw
03-31-2008, 07:45 PM
I have explained this to the local drag racer guys several times and they just dont get it.

kyle

Todd Covini
03-31-2008, 08:12 PM
The bigger question is...will they ever get it?
Are the millenials a "smarter" generation who will embrace road racing at these merits?
What is the current environment in Europe? Are the youths running to the opentrack events on Wednesday nites and Sunday afternoons and laughing at the few & far between drag racing efforts?

I want to know when this trend is going to turn....
When does logic come into play?

GlennCMC70
03-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Matt, your like so 2005. Mitch and myself gave up long ago once we asked ourselves if we REALLY wanted those folks out on track w/ us. the answer was a resounding NO.
ever seen a guy make a 1/4 mile pass w/ what you thought were skinnys and they turned out to be 2 space saver spares only rated to 45 MPH?
the car ran high 10's.
thats a thought process i do not want on track w/ me.

AI#97
03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Matt, your like so 2005. Mitch and myself gave up long ago once we asked ourselves if we REALLY wanted those folks out on track w/ us. the answer was a resounding NO.
ever seen a guy make a 1/4 mile pass w/ what you thought were skinnys and they turned out to be 2 space saver spares only rated to 45 MPH?
the car ran high 10's.
thats a thought process i do not want on track w/ me.

True Glenn, however, there are a few that get it. John and I converted one this weekend! Those guys running "questionable" stuff at a drag race aren't going to have the brains to get road racing so you don't need to worry. We just need to target those guys with brains and are still on the fence. Besides, there is a licensing program to weed out the REAL idiots so they wouldn't be "on track" with you anyway until they proved themselves.

I am going to keep shaking the trees to see what falls out. If we don't, then we aren't doing ourselves any favors to keep the series strong.

Al Fernandez
04-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Your math is all wrong though. You have to add the time you get to do the burnout!!

evarner
04-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Having spent many, many years drag racing and seeing both sides of the fence it's pretty clear that there are those that drag race because they really like it and same goes for road racing. Not sure why either is opposed to the ideals of other types of entertainment and fun.

I can only see attitudes coming from both sides - neither is right or wrong as it's personal preference which one they choose. To look down upon either is in itself the underlying issue at hand. Did I look down upon guys I used to drag race with that had less than stellar equipment or mismatched shoes? Nope, we had a blast running what we had and made the best of it.

No doubt my preference is road racing. Bang for the buck - yep.. absolutely. However.. hanging the front wheels in the air while crossing the 60ft mark is equally as fun.. kind of. lol

AllZWay
04-01-2008, 08:38 AM
I have only done a little drag racing with the street car, but have yet to find the real fun in it. I find it more a competition against myself/clock than other racers.

But I think many drag race out of convience...usually short hauls to the track and once they have a good setup....it will last several years without repairs.

I often get asked to compare road racing to dirt track racing and much like Eric said.... it really is impossible to compare.

To me they are equal in the fun factor....just a completely different fun....so for the drag racer perhaps they would feel the same way.

Fbody383
04-01-2008, 09:31 AM
So when is NASA going to allow the nitromethane "push to pass" in AIX?

AI#97
04-01-2008, 10:12 AM
So when is NASA going to allow the nitromethane "push to pass" in AIX?

Actually, it only says that "NOS" isn't allowed. fuels are open and so is power! Have at it!!! :lol:

Al Fernandez
04-02-2008, 09:31 AM
power is not really open... 8)

AI#97
04-02-2008, 10:42 AM
power is not really open... 8)

It's as open as far as you can OPEN your wallet!!!

I would love the day when someone shows up with a 1200hp TT BBC in a 2700lb car!!!