PDA

View Full Version : Tire machine...

AI#97
05-21-2008, 09:28 AM
so, if you had a chance to buy an Accu-turn tire mounting unit for $500, would you do it? It's a no touch, rim clamp machine with the bead breaker and is all air powered. Only issue is the point where the air plugs in has a leak, but it all still works...

Should I do it?!

Rsmith350
05-21-2008, 09:39 AM
without a doubt. I bought one for the shop brand new for around $2000

AI#97
05-21-2008, 12:11 PM
only real issue is space. I need to get a small storage shed for the back yard or something to store the lawnmower and such to make space for this thing... Now if I could just find a cheap tire balancer that isn't all fubar'd up...

Rsmith350
05-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Good luck :lol: I know Discount tire auctions alot of their old stuff off...I'll look for the info.

marshall_mosty
05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Matt,
If you want, my dad has his shop in Richardson (Arapaho and Greenville basically). It could go down there. It would be community use... (I'll pitch in for it).

Adam Ginsberg
05-21-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd throw down some $$ in exchange for usage.

jeffburch
05-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I dunno.
I pay 3 bucks each for mount/dismount
from Sabid at the DW tire near me.
Hard to beat.
Now if it was a balancer, that's sumpin.

jb

AI#97
05-21-2008, 02:39 PM
I dunno.
I pay 3 bucks each for mount/dismount
from Sabid at the DW tire near me.
Hard to beat.
Now if it was a balancer, that's sumpin.

jb

Thing is Jeff, up here in the North 40, it's a bitch to get deals on mount balance. Best I had was $15 at my local discount tire and that manager is gone and it's now $17.99 per tire with tape weights.

Marshal, I got no problem picking this thing up and putting it there at the shop (it has air right?) and we can have guys chip in for use. I am sure the piece we need to replace will cost a few bucks and still don't know if it has the "spoons". figuring another $50-75 to get it 100%.

Attached a couple pics for reference...looks like they have tried the JB weld on the leaking fitting. Since it is an accuturn, I am sure I can find the part once I get the unit...

Keep your eyes peeled for balancers and maybe we can do "tire days" at the shop! I have heard walmart will do $5 carry in balancing but....tape weights?

AI#97
05-21-2008, 02:55 PM
only thing that bugs me is there isn't enough pedals in the front...?

RichardP
05-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Since I can't come close to the deal that Burch gets, I would kill to have a tire mounting machine at my place. It would save time, money, and a bunch of hastle.

Even at my current not so good of a deal for mounting tires, it's still a win to flip the tire on the rim at some point to extend the tire's life. If I had easy access, I'd flip them more often to improve tire life and performance.

BTW, I don't bother balancing my race tires. Not worth the extra cost to me and I can never tell the difference...

Richard P.

Rsmith350
05-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Wow that IS an old one. The spoon is right there in it's holder in front of the shop rag. It looks funny cause the right pedal actuates both the rotation and the bead breaker. I'd still get it.

AI#97
05-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Wow that IS an old one. The spoon is right there in it's holder in front of the shop rag. It looks funny cause the right pedal actuates both the rotation and the bead breaker. I'd still get it.

I am going to find some more info on it tonight when I get home... I have a business meeting up near the guy's house on Friday so it's only a little bit out of my way. My big thing is trying to find out what that part is and how much it is first. He has a second unit that is electric, but it looks older, is an off brand and needs the switch for rotating the pedastal.

richard, I totally agree on having one, just don't know yet that this is the one I want....it's just rare to come across one at a decent price.

jeffburch
05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
DW's are all over. You just have to look.
They are the sh!ttiest looking joints in the crappy areas.
They do have the no touch machines tho.
Managment is middle eastern, labor is southern Tejas.

jb

rpoz27
05-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Y'all pay for mounting/balancing?:shock:

marshall_mosty
05-22-2008, 06:44 AM
FWIW, I don't balance any of my tires either... haven't been able to tell a difference.

Marshal, I got no problem picking this thing up and putting it there at the shop (it has air right?) Matt,
The shop has 8+ air drops, a 80 gallon 2-stage compressor, two 2-post lifts, 5000 sq. ft. It "should" be right at home.

It was an ex-BMW service center.

AllZWay
05-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I would like to have one....but that is where I do have a little bit of sponsorship.

All my tires are mounted, balanced, & flipped for free.

I think with the R888 he is going to be able to help some there too, since they won't have to be shaved.