PDA

View Full Version : Cage Fabrication

jeremiahkellam
06-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Prepping a CMC car to campaign my first season of competitive racing. I am looking for a shop (or individual) to build a cage. I would prefer it be somewhere around N/NW Houston. I live in Tomball. So where did all yall north Harris / Montgomery County boys go??

Thanks for your help

RichardP
06-10-2008, 03:24 PM
I recommend Greg Lucas at Lucas Racing and Restoration. He did my cage and several other people that I know. He’s near 290 and Beltway 8.

http://lucasracinginc.com/index.html
713-462-0068

Richard P

michaelmosty
06-10-2008, 03:30 PM
What kind of car are you building? Will it be ready for 2009? Welcome!!!

jeremiahkellam
06-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Add another Mustang to the list!!

The car WILL be ready for 09, I just need to make sure I get myself ready(provisional permit...)

jeffburch
06-10-2008, 08:01 PM
JK,
do you have someone here who is looking after you?
Helping you get up to speed?

Welcome to CMC!

jb

Rob Liebbe
06-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Jeremiah,

Give me a call. I live in the Tomball area (Kuykendahl and Kuykendahl-Huffsmith). My current CMC adopted son has moved to Beaumont and I would certainly be glad to help you out in any way I can.

Rob Liebbe
281-413-1948 - cell

jeremiahkellam
06-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I haven't enlisted the help of a "mentor" quite yet.

I guess at this point I should introduce myself.

My name is Jeremiah Kellam. I live just west of Tomball, TX with my wife and son. I began AXing about 2 yrs back and have had pretty good success at the regional level here in Houston. I probably shouldn't tell you it was in a Miata, oops...

I have been following CMC and AI/X for the last year as well with great interest. I wised up earlier this year, sold the Miata, and purchased a bone stock '94 GT. (that's right! BONE STOCK) The original plan was CMC. I began building it up per CMC rules and specs. Then I went to my first open track event (SVTOA at TWS) and met John George. I thought AI would be the way to go.

I participated in my 2nd open track event this past weekend (Drivers Edge at TWS) and got to spend some time bugging Daron Cooke and Mason Melkowits (Thanks Daron and Mason!). After talking with them, and reevaluating what I have in front of me, I have decided that CMC is the place be. (Still love ya John, sorry!)

I will be coming out to TWS in August to meet as many people and learn as much as possible. I will try to run HPDE that weekend as well. I WILL be running HPDE at Eagles Canyon in October.

I am planning to compete in '09, maybe not until mid season, but if it all works out over then next 6-7 months, then I will make the first event.

jeremiahkellam
06-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks Rob, I will call you.

Adam Ginsberg
06-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey Jeremiah,

Welcome aboard. You made a wise choice going to CMC first - the initial cost to build is significantly less than AI. At some point, you made decide to move to AI.

With that said, in regards to obtaining your comp license, please check this thread (http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1622&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=). It has a PDF attachment that will explain how to work towards your comp license from A to Z. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have, no matter how small you believe them to be - getting answers straight from the source is the best way to avoid any confusion. There is no such thing as "dumb" question. ;)

Look forward to seeing you on track soon.

chris-CMC#35
06-11-2008, 02:43 AM
I recommend Greg Lucas at Lucas Racing and Restoration. He did my cage and several other people that I know. He’s near 290 and Beltway 8.

http://lucasracinginc.com/index.html
713-462-0068

Richard P

I second that. Greg built the cage in my '94 Mustang GT, did a great job. One of the things I really appreciate about his work/design: I can get in and out of the car without being a contortionist. Trust me: that matters. Especially at the end of a race.

Welcome aboard! The guys in Texas are a good bunch.

-chris

Al Fernandez
06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Hey man, welcome. I'm in Magnolia, not too far from you. Make sure you look at as many cars as possible to get ideas of how to do a cage. It sounds simple, but there are lots of options about where to put this/that bar etc and the results can vary quite a bit regarding things like headroom, egress capability etc.

jeremiahkellam
06-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the tips! I stopped by Greg's shop yesterday and spoke with him.

I have found, saved, and taken lots of pictures for ideas. I'll be cruising the pits at TWS in August snapping some spy shots as well.

Todd Covini
06-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I third the recommendation for Greg Lucas!

My cage is awesome and custom fitting seat makes my car drive like it's on air (even thru trees and yonder). I'm just in Spring around the corner from Rob, Al and David Love and don't believe a word they say about me.

-=- Todd

PS- Beware of cats.

Rsmith350
06-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey Jeremiah, I'm Ross. I'm a little south of you (Pearland) In the process of building a car myself. I can get killer deals on steel here locally. Look me up if you need some help or anything else really.

832-887-9415

rpoz27
06-15-2008, 12:05 PM
+2 on Lucas. Martin had him cut out the old cage in his BMW and build a new one. It's gorgeous, safe, and Martin can get in and out of the car easily (he's paraplegic). Lucas has done other minor welding on the BMW, as well. Nice guy.

David Love AI27
06-15-2008, 02:35 PM
I third the recommendation for Greg Lucas!

My cage is awesome and custom fitting seat makes my car drive like it's on air (even thru trees and yonder). I'm just in Spring around the corner from Rob, Al and David Love and don't believe a word they say about me.

-=- Todd

PS- Beware of cats.

Todd Who??