PDA

View Full Version : Are we going to try for a Hallett write up?

AI#97
06-24-2008, 10:20 AM
If so, post your story from the weekend...

Here I am returning to Hallett for my third time, dreading my "curse" at this track from hell. The first two times I have been on this track ended in a blown motor after just 5 laps the first time, and a fuel starvation problem after just 6 laps the second time. Well, I got bit by the curse again early saturday morning during an off course excursion outside of T6 with reported "air time" resulting in ripping a piece off my K-member and hosing the mounts for the splitter/nose. I was able to get the car back together but found myself gridded DFL on MUCH larger than usual AI grid. As the flag dropped on the standing start, I was able to beat two AI camaros to T1 and through spins and attrition, I found myself in the lead! However, the curse was returning and I was experiencing MASSIVE brake fade after 5 laps and was forced to learn to use that left foot to pump the brake pedal. Ended up having to wave 2nd place on by and settle for a second place finish.

Race 2 I ended up having my first contact ever with #82 in T2, but managed to fight back up to 4th place.

Sunday qualifying had more drama when on my 3rd qual lap, just as I was beginning to pick up some speed, I lost a caliper bolt on the right front and limped the car back into tech. Thank you David Donovan for having a backup bolt!

Race 3, I was gridded 3rd and had a great launch and found myself in 2nd by turn 1 and in first by T3 as Donovan washed wide. Wow! In the lead again! On lap 2, Donovan assisted me off course in T4 where I tried killing some misquitos with tire smoke and watched the entire field pass by. Got the car re-fired and was hell bent on chasing down the AI pack. Driving like a mad man, I made it up to 3rd after passing Raybob and Frank, only to have the car die on me exiting the carousel. got it re-fired and chased them down again knowing full well that soft brake pedal was just waiting to rear it's ugly head. Settled into 3rd place and made sure I stayed there.

Race 4, due to contact and some 'other' issues ;), I was gridded on pole for the invert and knew I had to get a gap before the brakes went away. With about 3 laps left, the brakes decided they had enough and had a BIG slide going up over the hill into the bitch and the race was effectively over for me. Had to do the last 3 laps at snails pace with no brakes at all and a gas gauge that was BELOW the red E and settled for second place.

Overall, this was the hardest weekend I have ever had in 3 years. Actually led 3 of the 4 races which in all was pretty amazing considering my troubles/curse and ended up with two seconds, a third and fourth. Not a bad way to salvage a difficult weekend.

congratulations to Team Downunder for a clean sweep of the weekend with 4 wins and a pole. With Donovan's misfortunes and my struggles, the AI points battle was turned on it's head this weekend. The rest of the year is going to be a dog fight with the Winged Warriors for sure!

GlennCMC70
06-24-2008, 10:26 AM
i do not think a write-up is in the works. sorry.

Nick
06-24-2008, 07:09 PM
i do not think a write-up is in the works. sorry.

:(

Adam Ginsberg
06-24-2008, 07:57 PM
That is, indeed, a shame.

However, please people - post up your experiences from the weekend, as I need to live vicariously through all of you to get my Hallett fix!!!

GlennCMC70
06-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Adam, call if you want to know more about why.

AllZWay
06-24-2008, 08:12 PM
R1... Qualified 2nd and had a really tough battle with Corey until he decided to go enjoy mowing the lawn. The rest of the race was just watching JB get smaller and smaller... actually I never could see him after the start.

R2.. On the invert made my way back up to 3rd....but I had no idea what position I was in until we went to tech.

R3...Qualified 3rd... Watched the big Colorado AI controversial tap( didn't realize at the time it was a big deal), then got past Raybob and chased and chased and chased JB with no luck. Finished 2nd to that sucker again.

R4...Most fun race of the day. It was a major fight for 2nd-7th, with Jeff Wirtz for a few laps, then Jay for several laps, then with Corey and Michael the entire race. We ran so close together at times with side by side racing all around I bet you couldn't get a sheet a paper between us at times. Big fun and finished 4th.

AI#97
06-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Adam, call if you want to know more about why.

MIght as well post it here Glenn....might save you 30 phone calls...

jeffburch
06-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Just a guess but think publishing all the contact and drama would not be good.
I could get someone at FNC to distill it like they do every day :P

jb

ShadowBolt
06-25-2008, 07:58 AM

jb

Or any of the other three networks to take it the other way.

JJ

AI#97
06-25-2008, 09:10 AM

jb

That's easy enough to do... besides, whatever happened to Shannon's father walking the pits and doing writeups, driver profiles and pictures/marketing?

Waco Racer
06-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Health issues keep him from doing the write-ups. He wants to, he is just not able.

AI#97
06-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Health issues keep him from doing the write-ups. He wants to, he is just not able.

Thanks for the info Clifton...figured something was up.