PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy CMC Mustang

wgriffin4
06-28-2008, 06:22 PM
I am new to NASA but not new to road racing. We are looking to get into CMC then AI and then AIX and are looking for a CMC SN95 Mustang to purchase. Rolling chassis or running cars are ok....Just looking for a decent platform to start with.

Thanks for the help......Great community.

Bill Griffin

jeffburch
06-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi BG, welcome.
Keep an eye here
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=31&sid=7a660f758fe1bb5eaad39dc139b955c5

here

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/index.php?sid=ca4177151731771c37927ad10c50b7b1

and

http://nasa.racingjunk.com/

Good luck, hope to see ya soon.
jb

AI#97
06-28-2008, 07:21 PM
One thing I would suggest is that if you are truly planning on moving up to AI and then X, do NOT start with a CMC car. You will spend Cubic dollars to get there over buying an already built/legal AI car.

Just my $0.02! BTW, Welcome!!!

BryanL
06-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Bill-any chance you went to TCU in the early 90's?
Only interested in a Rustang?

Bryan Leinart

GlennCMC70
06-28-2008, 08:49 PM
http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Chassis4.htm

wgriffin4
06-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Bill-any chance you went to TCU in the early 90's?
Only interested in a Rustang?

Bryan Leinart

I did got to TCU in the 90's.....

Thanks for the heads up guys and I will watch the forums mentioned above....Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mustang only..... Chevy is a bad word around our shop. :twisted:

We will more than likely start out in CMC with a car then build a new car for AI in the future..... We have a car that we started working on for SCCA AS about 5 years ago and the owner moved it out of our shop and never finished the car. Its a 89 Mustang GT - Full Custom Cage, Fuel Cell, T5 (new), Steeda 5 Link, shocks, Baer Brakes 5 Lug, and a few other goodies....Thinking of buying it because I know the car forwards and backwards....our shop did all the work.

Hope to see everyone at the next NASA race here in Texas.

Thanks again for all the help.

Bill Griffin

Rob Liebbe
06-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Bill

What shop do you have here in Houston?

wgriffin4
06-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Rob

I race out of shop called Valkyrie Racing and a very good friend of my owns a shop.

http://www.valkyrieracingusa.com/

They do killer work and just opened a new shop near MSRH. Very honest and good people. The team mainly races Porsches but we are looking to branch off into some other areas. I have been racing Porches since 2001 in SCCA and PCA but have always wanted to give a Mustang a try.

Bill Griffin

AI#97
06-29-2008, 10:17 AM
you might want to Ping Adam Ginsberg about bringing an AS car back down to CMC. That steeda rear end isn't legal and the motor isn't likely legal either.

I'd still say you would be 10's of thousands of dollars ahead just starting in AI...there are several nice cars around right now for sale that you could pick up relatively cheap compared to building one. Also from your racing background with P-cars... CMC will feel like driving a dump truck!

If you get a chance come out to the event in August at College Station and feel free to ask lots of questions!

MFW

wgriffin4
06-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks I will look him up.

If we decide to go with the car we have access to then more than likely we will go AI but if we have to start with a fresh car then will will go CMC.

Steeda 5 link is not legal for CMC?

I will definitly be at the Aug NASA race.....we will have some Porsches at the race and maybe a few other cars as well.

michaelmosty
06-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Welcome Bill, look forward to meeting you at TWS in August.
If you have the ability to get the AS car for a good price you would likely be able to sell the "illegal" parts from it and convert over to CMC and have a few extra $$ in your pocket.

ShadowBolt
06-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi Bill,

I bought a Mustang to race CMC but after a year I wish I would have looked a little longer before I bought. Right now 3rd Gen Camaro's are winning almost everything. That said if I was just starting out I don't think you could go wrong with a LAW car. If you think you must drive a Stang this one looks nice
http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2868

Just remember the Mustang is a Fairmont that Ford tried to make a sports car out of. The Camaro was designed from the ground up as a sports car and geometricly is a better race car. I'm not sure how the Mustang can realistlickly compete with torque arms and coil overs but it gets close.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I woud be winning had a bought a Camaro but I do think it would give you a leg up.

Just spend some time looking at what is winning in CMC around the country and in Texas where you will compete with the best of the best.

Jerry

AI#97
06-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Steeda 5 link is not legal for CMC?

Correct. Stock parts with stock geometry! This is a HUGE generalization but CMC is mostly a stock car, stockish brakes, RA1's and some increased spring rates with good shocks. If it's outside those guidelines...you are into AI.

David Love AI27
06-29-2008, 10:00 PM
I started with Robert Carr's 3rd Gen Camaro that was originally a SCCA AS car. It had too many mods to run CMC but not enough to be competitive in AI... It is in no mans land... $5K to back down to CMC and $15-20K to move up to AI... From what I observed over the last few years is that GM has a better base platform for CMC but Ford has better/less expensive upgrades for AI... If I could do it all over again I would buy a CMC/CMC2 GM from LAW or build a Mustang from the ground up like the Down Under gang

mitchntx
06-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Jerry/David ... thanks for the kind words about LAW Motorsports.

Each "horse" has it's strong points and it's achilles heal. I guess that's why we race at a bunch of different tracks.

Bill, welcome to Wonderland, where people thump their chest and spew forth words of "wisdom". But when at the track, we're all brothers, helping and lending a hand where ever we can ... well, some us, any way.

By and large, it's a group of folks with one goal in mind ... to have fun over a long weekend ... well, some us, any way.

So chose your mount and we'll gladly accept your congratulations when we're in the winner's circle.

Oh, and trash talk is optional ... well, for some us, any way.

8)

Al Fernandez
06-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I disagree...trash talk is definitely not optional! :wink:
Welcome aboard Bill! Any relation to the Griffiths that run CMC in Cali out of Reno? If you're used to P cars then AI price tags probably wont be shocking. I'd be running that if my budget allowed, simply because you have more freedom to play with the car. The intent of CMC is to limit expenses, and we try to do that by limiting the hardware you can buy and forcing you to focus on driving and fine tuning instead. Either way you cant go wrong as far as on track fun. And with this crowd...well, the off track fun is guaranteed! :lol:

silversvo
07-06-2008, 10:37 AM
I bought a turnkey AS car and I am still spending quite a bit of money trying to get it legal to CMC specs. I am at the point where I might just go the other way and run AI instead. Love and I were talking about my car one night at his shop and that conversation is still in my head because he said I might as well race AI as my car is closer to an AI car than a CMC car. Also, take the time and look the car over really well as I had Al come look at the car I bought before I purchased it. Hopefully I will see you and everyone else out at TWS in August.