PDA

View Full Version : How to use the caster/camber gauge?

ShadowBolt
07-22-2008, 02:46 PM
When I purchased CMC17 Eric gave me a brand new one of these;

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=129&catid=5

I can't see how this unit can be used with the wheels on since the mag base will not go through the hole in the wheel (remove the wheel and dust cap and it mounts perfectly). Is there a way to use it or will I need to spend a hundred bucks on one of these to make it work?

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=1301&catid=5

Is there another way to use the guage I have (with wheels on the car and on the ground)?

JJ

GlennCMC70
07-22-2008, 02:48 PM
you will need that adapter.

AI#97
07-22-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't mess with CASTER at all. set it and leave it.

If you are looking to spend money on something that is stupid simple and works, sell the Longacre POS Eric gave you with the car and buy the $60 tool from maximum Motorsports...works great, only requires two hands and is CHEAP on the wallet!!!

ShadowBolt
07-22-2008, 04:35 PM

If you are looking to spend money on something that is stupid simple and works, sell the Longacre POS Eric gave you with the car and buy the $60 tool from maximum Motorsports...works great, only requires two hands and is CHEAP on the wallet!!!

I was not going to screw with the caster as it is set to max already. I did order the MM gauge though.

Thanks MATT!!!!....I mean MFW.

JJ

AI#97
07-22-2008, 05:36 PM

I was not going to screw with the caster as it is set to max already. I did order the MM gauge though.

Thanks MATT!!!!....I mean MFW.

JJ

Max Caster isn't always the best... I have played with it a little bit earlier this year and end of year testing last year. I did find that I could back caster off a little and balance temps across the tire better...

donovan
07-22-2008, 09:11 PM
As Matt said the MM gauge works great...

I also found the same as Matt... max caster was not the answer for me either... also, Both of the Mustangs I have owned the caster was different on each side... meaning that one was at max and the other to get the same setting had to be pulled back slightly.

You might want to check the caster to make sure its square.

DD

ShadowBolt
07-22-2008, 09:58 PM
As Matt said the MM gauge works great...

I also found the same as Matt... max caster was not the answer for me either... also, Both of the Mustangs I have owned the caster was different on each side... meaning that one was at max and the other to get the same setting had to be pulled back slightly.

You might want to check the caster to make sure its square.

DD

Thanks!

JJ

michaelmosty
07-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Jerry, I might need to borrow that gauge at TWS. :)

ShadowBolt
07-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Jerry, I might need to borrow that gauge at TWS. :)

No problem Michael. I ordered it yesterday.

JJ

cobra132
07-23-2008, 08:54 AM
I have the adaptor and usually have it at the track. You can use it any time. Frank

Al Fernandez
07-23-2008, 08:55 AM
With that camber gauge you can calculate caster as well:

Turn the wheel right 20degrees and measure camber
Turn the wheel left 20 degrees and measure camber

If both numbers are negative or positive (hopefully not) subtract the smaller from the larger (in absolute value, ie ignore signs) and multiply by 1.5

If one number is negative and one is positive, add the absolute values (ie, just add them ignoring signs) and multiply by 1.5

This will get you within a tenth or two, certainly accurate enough, especially since the absolute value isnt as important as relative values of different settings and how the car reacts at those. If you want the exact math: caster = arctan(sin(camber1)-sin(camber2))/((sin(toe2)-sin(toe1))

To estimate 20 degrees, draw an 8" line from center of tire patch straight forward. From the end, draw a perpendicular line 2.9" towards the right and 2.9" towards the left. You now have a T. Put the tire center on the bottm of the T, the top center of the T should be visible and along the centerline of the tire. Turn either way until that centerline of the tire meets the ends of the T and it will be 20 degrees.