PDA

View Full Version : new shotgun (off topic)

ShadowBolt
08-17-2008, 03:40 PM
I have been shooting 1100 Reminton's (20 and 12 ga) all my life. Thinking of getting a twice barrel (WEATHERBY ORION UPLAND). This is a good gun from what I read for around a grand. Anyone ever try to go from an automatic to a O/U? I'm not looking for the best O/U money can buy, just a good solid gun at a good price (assuming I can get used to something besides and auto).

JJ

donovan
08-18-2008, 03:58 PM
I still love my 870 Super Magnum... Cheap and works everytime...

DD

Shortcutsleeping
08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Errr...much like shopping for tires, what are you going to do with the weapon? That would greatly determine my personal advice. I have a few scatterguns and they are different due to their intended use. Kinda like I have slicks and rain tires... :wink:

Costas
cars and such...

ShadowBolt
08-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Dove and quail is all I hunt. Must not be many hunters or fishermen on this site. I fish at the coast many weekends a year. Only hunt a few weekends a year.

JJ

mitchntx
08-18-2008, 09:04 PM
I have a Remington 540 with a TDPS ID number on it.

Shortcutsleeping
08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Well..

If you are going to use it to hunt dove and quail then I'd say you must be a pretty confident shooter. Going from 3 shots to 2 means you are lowering your chances...and if you are good with that, go for it. If this is sport, that is likely fine but if this is to put dinner on the grill then I'd stick with something that can go bang 3 times versus 2.

Just my thoughts. I've used a double, an auto and a pump for birds and I typically choose one of the latter. I like to walk hunt so I usually carry an Ithaca featherlight.

Costas
cars and such...

AI#97
08-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Not a hunter but have a collection. My shotgun of choice was purchased for home defense so it's a benelli novapump, no choke and a short barrel with 3.5" 00 buck...it collects dust.

If you are just dove hunting for fun, find something functional, reliable, light and cheap. No need for a $1500-2000 gun that is going to get muddy and scratched up and still goes bang. Heck, I was thinking about a cheap side by side I saw at academy the other day for like $299...

cobra132
08-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Wow, I thought I was the only person arround with an Ithaca featherlight. I have not hunted in years but I sure like mine. FMR

ShadowBolt
08-19-2008, 08:23 AM
My grandfather had two 1100's (a 20 and a 12) and they went to me when he died. I also got a Browning "Sweet 16" that was made in Belgium in the early 60's but it's kind of a collector gun so I don't want to use it in the field. Since I've never shot anything but the auto's I don't know if I would like a O/U or not. I rarely shoot more than one shot and almost never pull the triger three times so the one less shot is not an issue to me. I was just wanting to see if anyone here had made the move from auto to O/U but it looks like very few a hunters.

JJ

AI#97
08-19-2008, 09:53 AM
My grandfather had two 1100's (a 20 and a 12) and they went to me when he died. I also got a Browning "Sweet 16" that was made in Belgium in the early 60's but it's kind of a collector gun so I don't want to use it in the field. Since I've never shot anything but the auto's I don't know if I would like a O/U or not. I rarely shoot more than one shot and almost never pull the triger three times so the one less shot is not an issue to me. I was just wanting to see if anyone here had made the move from auto to O/U but it looks like very few a hunters.

JJ

You might ping Skip Smith. He and Scott are probably more into firearms than anyone on this board and I believe he is also a class 3 dealer too! He has some VERY nice toys!

Waco Racer
08-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I used to have an Ithaca 12ga auto. Nice firing gun but the auto mechanism never worked right. I use the same gun I learned on - Winchester Model 54 16ga side-to-side dual trigger. It does the trick. :wink:

ShadowBolt
08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
I used to have an Ithaca 12ga auto. Nice firing gun but the auto mechanism never worked right. I use the same gun I learned on - Winchester Model 54 16ga side-to-side dual trigger. It does the trick. :wink:

I hunt with a guy that shoots a Parker double gun (side by side). When he pulls the trigger on a quail a bird falls.

Jerry