PDA

View Full Version : A/C unit for sale - whats it worth?

GlennCMC70
09-03-2008, 06:16 PM
i had a new inside and outside A/C unit installed today (due to a non-repairable inside unit failure). the outside unit is in good working condition. it had a new compressor about 3 years ago. a new condensor fan motor last year and a new start-up cap this year. the whole unit is 10 years old.
whats it worth?
its a Goodman 3.5 ton unit. if i had a shop, i would install it there, but since i dont, i dont really have a need for it. that and i'd still need an air handler for it.
the inside unit had a capilary tube rub thru and leak so its really no good. i'm gonna make a shop fan out of the blower from it.
right now the plans are to hack it up and collect the money for aluminum and copper. i hate to do this to a good working unit if someone here has a need for it.

ShadowBolt
09-03-2008, 06:54 PM
i had a new inside and outside A/C unit installed today (due to a non-repairable inside unit failure). the outside unit is in good working condition. it had a new compressor about 3 years ago. a new condensor fan motor last year and a new start-up cap this year. the whole unit is 10 years old.
whats it worth?
its a Goodman 3.5 ton unit. if i had a shop, i would install it there, but since i dont, i dont really have a need for it. that and i'd still need an air handler for it.
the inside unit had a capilary tube rub thru and leak so its really no good. i'm gonna make a shop fan out of the blower from it.
right now the plans are to hack it up and collect the money for aluminum and copper. i hate to do this to a good working unit if someone here has a need for it.

I've been getting $1.05 per lb. for scrap alum for about three months and copper is high as giraffe pussy right now! But alum ingot is falling like a turd in a well (new and scrap prices follow ingot prices) so if your going to scrap it, do it now.
Make sure you get everything non alum off the alum and non copper off the copper so you will get clean prices. Dirty prics can be less than half.
JJ

David Love AI27
09-03-2008, 08:50 PM
that unit new is worth 800-900 wholesale... maybe $250 used... still better than scrap.. I'll check with my buddy in Dallas and see if he wants it.. he is in the refrigeration business..

GlennCMC70
09-03-2008, 09:01 PM
that unit new is worth 800-900 wholesale... maybe $250 used... still better than scrap.. I'll check with my buddy in Dallas and see if he wants it.. he is in the refrigeration business..

please do.