PDA

View Full Version : My NASA Nats 2008 story.

GlennCMC70
09-16-2008, 09:28 AM
i thought it needed a new place so as to not get lost.
i posted this on the National CMC site and cut and paisted it here. so if it sounds like i'm not talking to you guys directly, thats why.

well, i'll take a few to tell how my week went.

we got there Monday around 3-4pm. took the next couple days just getting settled and running erands. Thursday was my first day on track and i spent the first session bedding pads and scrubing new tires. the rest of the day (2 sessions) was spent on old tires and i clicked off a 1:42.335. that turned out to be fast lap of the whole weekend. from there on out till Sat's qual race it was raining.
i qual'ed 2nd Fri and finished 3rd in the qual race after i dayum near buried it in China Beach. this was a result of interior and exterior windshield fogging, rainX that must have been expired and massive amounts of spray from cars i was overtaking. i raced 2 laps looking out the driverside window looking for braking markers. thats why i missed my braking point for T7. i was at about 95mph (Thanks MaxQ Data!) when i got to the 3 cone brake marker. thats deep in the wet. had i had one more lap i would have i would have taken 2nd back. me and the orange Fox had a very respectful battle door handle to door handle in some places. as some of you know here, passing at Mid Ohio is hard, add water and its plain crazy. in fact we were hydroplaining several times a lap at speeds approching 80-100 mph.
Max Q also showed a .9 G in the keyhole in the wet. i was shocked!!!
Sat i once again qual'ed 2nd w/ my best wet lap that week - a 2:14.985 to Daves best wet lap of 2:13.700. seemed like every time i stepped it up, he did as well. i finished 2nd in Sat's race w/ little drama. Bob Denton had his car dialed in and managed to work past myself after working thru Dave. he really knows this track well and showed us.
so that set the stage for the Sunday race. Dave on pole and me 2nd, Bob 3rd. i was hoping for rain as i figured that was the only way i was gonna hold off Bob after his performance on Sat. it didnt rain. we had a clean start and i filed into 2nd. at some point i managed my way to first and started to pull away untill i lost it thru the end of Thunder Vally and sailed thru the gravel and the grass and bailed back on behind Dave in the carousel. shortly there after it was obvious Dave had a power issue as i just motored past him. he had complained about what felt like a lazy motor days before so i figured it was that or he lost a gear in the trans. turned out to be a plug wire had come off. from that point on Dave just fell back lap after lap. the shocker of the race was Matt King. man can this guy drive. i take back all the bad things i ever said about him (w/ regards to his driving). he hounded me endlessly. Bob Denton stuck it in on me a few times and just couldnt make it stick. my rear facing camera had him completely out of the frame many times. i thought for sure has had gotten past a couple times. Matt got intot he mix, passed Bob and those two worked together alot and battled some. they drove a very smart race. props to those two guys.

i remember at one point Jeff Burch was teling me we had been racing for 25 minutes and i was like "WTF!!!" cause it felt like an hour. when most of the sessions that weekend were 3-4-5 laps long, 17 laps felt like the drive to Mid Ohio - long. add to the fact that i was leading and running for my life, it just couldnt end soon enough.
the car was flawless all week. i changed rear spoilers for the big show and it helped the handaling of the car. for the first time, i felt the need for a completely different set-up for a particulare track instead of the "one size fits all" method i always use. i had no mechanical issues all week. the only nuts we turned were lug nuts. and those rains i bought back in 2006 Nats finally got put to alot of use. i only used them 2 times before this event. the only problem i had was the fogging issue. Home Depot fixed that - dryer duct baby!

i'm very happy i finally won. the car count takes away from that somewhat, but the racing from 1-7 was 100% better than the previous two years hands down. Chris McComb is making improvements in leaps and bounds. Matt King has shown his stuff, Bob Denton came w/ a better car this year over years past.

last but not least i got to thank Jeff Burch for coming up hand helping me all week. he got me breakfast in the mornings, drinks from the cooler, did this, and did that all week w/ nary a complaint. he offered valuable insite and feedback when i needed it. he's as much as a National Champ as anyone could ever be - Thank You Jeff Burch.
gotta thank Pi-Co Fab in Hutto Texas. Jerry Jordan stepped up and made my wish of getting to Nats a reality - and he's a fellow Texas racer. Moonlite Printing and Graphics is still the best. they always provide an invaluable servince to me to help my effort each year. Natwell Weld Supply - Steve Mulder (also a fellow racer) deserves a big thanks as well. AJ Petersen at Performance SpeedTech in Cresson Texas (MSR-C) has alwyas provided me w/ accurate set-up feedback and shock service as well as a place to purchase the best in racing supplys and equipment. Thanks goes out to all the Texas guys and gals AI and CMC alike for the well wished and support and Congrats that i got from them. on the net, we look disfunctional, at the track we are a very big and happy family. i consider all of them a part of my extended family. Big Thanks to you all.

AI#97
09-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Well said Glenn, here is mine with a vid link at the bottom from Sunday...copied/pasted from another site.

Here is the day by day break out...

Monday 9/8... found bad axle bearings on one wheel on the trailer. Spent all night locating bearings/races and finished up at 11pm.

Tuesday... left Plano at 4:30am on about 3 hours sleep, drove straight through to Dayton, OH stopping for gas and lunch only. got a hotel and crashed like someone hit me in the head with a brick...it was raining too!

Wednesday....arrived at Mid Ohio around 10am refreshed and just wanting to settle in, but found out a half day of track time was only $250. So I took two sessions and bedded new rotors, then all new pads and a set of fresh shaved tires. Only got 1 session at speed late in the day but ripped off a 1:36.9 which wasn't far off what they ran last year. Put the car on the scales and was sitting at 3190 lbs with about 5/8 of a tank of gas. Local instructor took us out in minivans at lunch to show us the rain line....worth the $250 alone and was only 1 lap!

Thursday... still dry, was sitting 2nd fastest in 1st practice and 5th in second practice. Sat out the 3rd practice which was fine as it only had a couple laps before something happened and the session was cancelled. Put the car on the dyno and found out it wasn't making 331/343...but only 312/323...so the field diet began and ballast and other parts started flying off the car! was able to leave about 150lbs in pits...

Friday...Fuck it's raining and I have no rain tires....only shaved slicks! In qual it was pouring down rain and with the new track sealers, the track was deadly slick and had "rivers" running across and down the back straight. I tip toed around and qual'd 18th and was the only idiot that didn't bring rain tires. Qual race was insane at the start with all the mist from 21 AI cars diving into T7. I took the mentality of SURVIVE. I had a couple of huge slides down the back stretch at over 120mph where I saw the inside wall going by sideways in the windshield. Amazingly didn't get hit or go into the grass....big pucker moments though. In T10, the front washed out and was headed off course into the kitty litter but kept my foot in it got out. Through attrition, I ended up 15th which was a moral victory considering I was able to go 2 seconds faster than qual. Spent rest of day hunting down any RA1 with more than 3/32 tread....found some used rains and hoped they would make a difference.

Saturday....fuck, it's still raining but hey, I have rain tires now... Missed the warm up as they were still mounting the tires on my spare rims. Qual session was the first time I have ever ran rain tires but I had a good line and qual'd 4th. Our 3 Texas AI drivers qual'd 2nd, 4th and 6th which gave us the inside for the first 3 rows!!! Go Texas!!!!
Race: Rain stopped, track dried and the Green Flag flew and I got past one car before T7 and was in 3rd. The AIX group started in front of us and we immediately went yellow, but 90% of the field wasn't paying attention and flew by all of us at speed. BIG No No and amazing there weren't any wadded up cars but there was a lot of contact. We got things sorted out and as we went past the timing loop we repositioned ourselves and I was in second. Then all the field passed under the yellow AGAIN to go two by two instead of a single file restart. I was flabbergasted but dealt with it. Got a decent restart and while setting up the guy in 1st for a pass, I left the door open and got passed in the KeyHole. Stayed 3rd and the race was over....but post race, 15 of the 21 cars got handed penalties for passing under the yellow, myself included for repositioning under yellow (crock of shit) so I was relegated to 10th when the results were posted like 5 hours later.

Sunday....It's dry and Sunny and I was listed to start 12th on the outside of row 6. Not a great position and was worrying about some carnage in the first turn. Had the 3rd fastest time in warm up behind the two local guys, one of which was the 2 time National Champion. Not bad! Green flag flew and I started picking off cars one by one and driving like a pissed off teenager. Worked my up to 4th and drove the front tires off and water temps were reaching 215 which was about 20 degrees higher than normal. Was really beating on the car and had to back it down a bit so I could make a second half charge. Coming out of the carousel, I clipped the inside curb more than normal and car just died coming onto the front straight. Cycled the ignition and found a gear and it fired...but lost 3 positions in the process. While getting back up to speed, lost another position and found myself in 8th. Kept my head and picked off two more cars to 6th. An AIX car blew a motor and laid down oil in T1 which brought out a full course yellow and froe the field. Mess was too large to clean up and race ended under yellow.

Overall, the most fun race weekend I have ever had. It was the hardest and closest racing I have ever done and I am worn out to the point where my entire body aches....mostly my hands. As a rookie at a national event, I learned I didn't prepare well enough by getting a set of rain tires because I was too cheap and I will always be haunted by the question of "what if I had them". I think I would have done MUCH better in Friday's race which would have gridded me MUCH farther forward on Sunday which would likely have been to my advantage. I turned faster laps than the guys that took 2nd and 3rd all weekend so I was definitely capable of a podium, maybe even the win. Guess I will have to figure that out next year as we will be moving to Miller Motorsport Park in Utah in 2009!

added: Thanks go out to Mason, Daron, Jeff Burch, Donovan, Corey Weber, Raybob and Tommy and all in our little portion of the paddock. Doing this event solo was a HUGE task for me and luckily the car had very few issues.

Vid link from Sunday race cut short at end for yellow.

http://www.aggie97.com/nats2009lowres.mpg

right click and save as....370 meg.

michaelmosty
09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Great write-ups guys!!!
Matt, the video quit downloading at 7 minutes so I'm going to try it again. Freakin sweet move getting by Luna though!! I almost pooped myself watching it. :shock:

AI#97
09-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Great write-ups guys!!!
Matt, the video quit downloading at 7 minutes so I'm going to try it again. Freakin sweet move getting by Luna though!! I almost pooped myself watching it. :shock:

He does the same to me later in the race! :lol: He and I had a great battle going on for sure. I will check the vid hosting again.

GlennCMC70
09-16-2008, 10:52 AM
guys, i left out one thing...
Robert at Argent Lab - you too my friend took very good care of me. thanks you also.

AI#97
09-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Great write-ups guys!!!

Reuploaded it, have downloaded it and watched it...it's now all there. Enjoy and turn up the sound!

BlueFirePony
09-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Great write-ups guys!!!

Reuploaded it, have downloaded it and watched it...it's now all there. Enjoy and turn up the sound!
Matt you did a friggin' great job - great decisive driving and very respectful!

GlennCMC70
09-17-2008, 09:09 AM
http://www.vimeo.com/1749450

answers alot of questions.

Fbody383
09-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Shazaam! What a race...

My first thought is, "why do I want to run with these guys? they can flat out drive!"

Second thought is that while I can appreciate Schotz's position, I think the contact is incidental but would attribute the initiation to Dave. Would have love to have seen Dave finish under full power as his driving earned him a better finish.

You guys tell me, is this a good example of what should be a non-call? Especially in the championship race?

Great race and would love to see a freight train of 20 cars dueling it out.

Almost feel sorry for the slower guys in the 944s and Cobras - swallowed up by V8 pony cars.

Quote on video "He ran Schotz off the road, he ran King off the road" Maybe my bias is too high, but I didn't see it.

jeffburch
09-17-2008, 01:07 PM
This is the video AG and some other unknown official was watching in the tech shed to make the call.
It's been determined to not be GL's fault by the official staff.
Glenn is the Champ and that's all there is to it.
BTW, I got a Nat'l Champion crew chief apron from Carbotech.
SCHWEET!
Suck it DS!
jb

Adam Ginsberg
09-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Even tho I didn't race at the 2008 Nats, I'll share my story from "the other side of the flag stand".

About a week prior to the event, Todd realized he couldn't make it due to work and moving - I was then asked to be the Race Director for Group A. I accepted the challenge....and let me tell you, it was indeed a challenge. But, in a very positive way.

Fortunately, JWL and Jerry Kunzman were always in the tower when our group was on track, and help provide some valuable information. The crew at Mid-O was very experienced, so many times, they handled various situations.

My intent was to give folks some time on Thursday to practice without worrying too much about tech, then ramp up the technical inspections as we got closer to the Big Show.

However, Thursday was "dyno sheet" day - everyone had to submit their dyno sheet, and CMC dyno spec sheet to be reviewed and signed. Below is how things progressed for the weekend regarding tech, as I posted on the CMC website:

2008 Nats Tech:

Thursday: practice day, no tech done. All dyno sheets had to be provided to the Race Director no later than prior to Friday qual. Each competitors dyno sheet, and CMC dyno spec sheet had to be signed by the RD. CMC dyno tech sheet had to be 100% completely filled out, or it was not accepted. Once each sheet was signed, that was the ONLY dyno sheet that would be accepted at impound. If a competitor chose to redyno on their own, they could bring the new dyno and tech sheet to the RD for signature, but it was not required. Meaning, they could redyno if they so chose, but they didn't have to get the sheets signed if the new numbers essentially matched the original dyno numbers - it was left to the competitor.

As competitors exited the track, those selected for impound and/or dyno were handed an official NASA impound card, and dyno card. They were required to go to tech, and submit those cards. The card was marked with "WEIGHT" for a weigh in only, or "WEIGHT/HOLD" for weight and tech. If a competitors card showed "WEIGHT/HOLD", they could only be released from tech by the Group A Race Director.

The RD and SD kept a log of each competitor selected. Tech logged each competitor that came to tech, then we cross referenced. The impound cards were marked with the car's weight, then returned to the RD. Any competitor that did not come to tech after being handed an impound card was penalized/DQ'd (this did not happen in our race group).

ANY vehicle could come to tech to weigh on their own if they so desired - this was highly encouraged to ALL competitors.

Below is how things went for the CMC drivers:

Friday:
Practice - weighed #70 and #03. Checked dyno sheets against weights. No infractions.

Qual - weighed and teched #75, #67, and #35. Tech'd for OEM injectors, rating and fuel rails. No infractions.

Friday Qual race - weighed and teched #75, #18 and #95. Pole sitter #75 was re-dyno'd (he also happened to be the race winner). No infractions.

Saturday:
Practice - weighted and teched #35 and #03. Tech'd for sway bar diameter and factory style end links (CMC Rule 8.36.13). 1 infraction (sway bar too large), no penalty issued as this was a practice session. Driver replaced sway bar with a legal unit prior to qualifying (I verified this myself, as I helped find him a replacement which was measured prior to installation. Big thanks to Corey Weber of Agent 47!).

Qual - weighed and teched #16, #75 and #70. Weight only for #67 and #18. Tech'd for legal battery and ballast (CMC Rule 8.10 and 8.8.). No infractions.

Saturday qual race - weighed and tech'd #75, #70, #35, #95, #16, and #67. #67 and #70 (P1 and P2) were re-dyno'd. All were weighed. Tech'd items were rear suspension (CMC Rule 8.36.3). No infractions.

Sunday:
Warmup - all cars that went out were sent for weight. No infractions.

National Championship Race - top 4 sent for weight and tech. #70, #03, #67 and #35. Tech for P2 throug P4 were weight, restrictor plate (if equipped) and fuel sample. #70 and #03 had their hoods sealed and were redynoed under the SD's watchful eye. #70 also had the following teched:
1. Removed valve cover to verify stock valve train - rockers, studs, valve springs, pushrods.
2. Checked for steel flywheel and correct flywheel diameter.
3. Checked front rotor for proper diameter and thickness and caliper piston sizes.
4. Fuel sample.
5. Checked restrictor plate.

No infractions from the Champ race.

Additionally, contact forms were reviewed and decisions made prior to the results being signed as official.

Also, the CMC SD walked around the grid, measuring ride height, wing height, numbers (we found 2 cars that didn't meet the required CMC number height of 16", and their log books were noted), etc.

We kept every impound card, and every tech sheet from every car tech'd. After the results were finalized, the impound cards were stapled to the final results so that tech for all cars in Group A could be tracked.

FFR's impound items/procedures were similar, but not 100% identical due to variations in our rules. A unique tech sheet was issued to the tech shed specifically for FFR, with a second sheet maintained by the RD and the FFR SD.

944Spec felt some special love by checking for aftermarket chips connected to the ECU (no infractions), compression ratio, displacement, and cam timing (no infractions) in addition to being weighed every session. There was 1 DQ for a 944Spec car being light....the 944Spec SD, of all people. He was 3.5lbs too light, and sent to the back of the field...of 4 cars.

So, there you have it. I'd be glad to answer any other questions about how the tech process went, how the competitors responded, etc.

And if anyone thinks it will get "easier" next year...don't bet on it. :)

Regarding the contact - the video Glenn posted is the same exact one I watched right after the Champ race. It was reviewed by 2 other impartial officials, and we ALL came to the same conclusion - GL was not at fault for several incidents of contact.

After reviewing the video several more times - I stand firmly by my decisions on Sunday.

And believe me, if Glenn had made a mistake regarding on-track behavior, he knew full well that I'd hold him accountable for it - this should come as no surprise to ANYONE familiar with the history between GL and myself. He did slightly rough up a 944 guy that was indecisive on where to go to get out of the CMC freight train's way, and he's on a one event probation for it. He accepted the penalty with dignity.

It was a great weekend - I had a huge amount of fun being the Race Director, and learned so much about how an event goes together and works over the course of a weekend. It was an honor to be the RD for Group A....they really made me and the entire group look better than I could have hoped for.

Everyone drove a hell of a race, and it was a nail-biter to the end.

michaelmosty
09-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Glenn, I haven't watched your video yet but I just watched Bob Denton's video he posted on the National site.

I want to get an understanding of the contact Dave was upset about. I saw the two contacts during lap 1 but am confused about the "contact" around lap 5 or 6.
I saw in Bob's video you made an outside move on Dave going into the keyhole and Matt and Dave came out of the keyhole side by side with you behing them with a good run. Then the three of you were all side by side going down the straight when the contact b/w you and Matt happened. Was there contact b/w you and Dave during that time? I didn't see any contact b/w you and him on the straight.

Just trying to get a better understanding of everything.

Adam Ginsberg
09-17-2008, 03:26 PM
I want to get an understanding of the contact Dave was upset about. I saw the two contacts during lap 1 but am confused about the "contact" around lap 5 or 6.
I saw in Bob's video you made an outside move on Dave going into the keyhole and Matt and Dave came out of the keyhole side by side with you behing them with a good run. Then the three of you were all side by side going down the straight when the contact b/w you and Matt happened. Was there contact b/w you and Dave during that time? I didn't see any contact b/w you and him on the straight.

Given that DS was all in my grill about GL's "poor driving", let me see if I can help you out, Michael.

First incident is @ ~2:00 in BD's video, about 1/3 way into Thunder Valley. Track begins to curve to the right. DS and GL are side by side, door to door. GL holds his line, and is continuing straight - he can. DS begins his turn to the right, but does so a bit more than he should, and contacts GL's driver door. That's the first contact he was griping about.

They contact again at the end of TV for the left.....that one was hard to assess fault....it's possible GL was showing a little "love" to DS for the prior contact.

Later, at about ~9:50 in BD's video, GL is on the outside, DS is on the inside of the keyhole. GL leaves DS room, but DS goes straight instead of turning further to the right, and they touch. My guess is DS was trying to keep GL wide in the keyhole...there's no damn grip that far out.

At ~10:00 in BD's video, they are 3 wide on the back straight...but..wow, they are literally inches apart. It does appear that GL moves into King, but...I gotta tell ya, the weather was coming in. We had wind gusts up to ~60mph. ANY slight bobble at that point, and they were going to touch.

However, for each of these incidents, there was no punt, no off track, no position change/deviation. My decision to not assess penalties is due to thoroughly reading Appendix A.

michaelmosty
09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Excellent review Adam, thank you.
My opinion of the video is that there was agressive driving by all drivers shown, it was the National Championship race. Just drivers holding their line, not backing down, and not wanting to get passed. I didn't see anything, by any driver for that matter, that I would freak out and complain about.
JMHO :)

AI#97
09-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Has anyone given any thought to the fact that DS might have just been frustrated by getting man handled in the AI race just previous to the CMC race...or even fatigue from the AI race...? Dave really seemed like a nice guy at the track the limited time I got to talk to him... Just my $0.02...

jeffburch
09-17-2008, 05:23 PM
MFW
We fiqured it out.
Call me, I'll 'splain it.
jb

GlennCMC70
09-17-2008, 05:50 PM
MM - my contact w/ King really is my fault. i told the story differntly but once i watched the vid, i see what really happened. i've posted on the forum to Matt that i didnt mean to do it, but shit happens. i think i was just trying to keep my distance from Dave and he's already hit me 2-3 times and i was getting a little gun shy.
as for the way people acted after the race about what happened durring the race...... i wasnt mad about any of the on track stuff. i thought to myself that it was a really good race w/ lots of hard racing. i was disapointed to hear everyone was blaiming me for what happened. Matt wasnt in a position to see what happened early in the race and didnt know anything untill i touched him. so i'm sure he was siding w/ DS due to that. Matt also knew nothing of Dave being there and thought i had alot of track to my left. i didnt. Matt knew that at the dyno just after impound.

the point is, things went south once Dave came off track. he posted on the net and trashed me. at this point he has seen the vid and should take back everything he said. he hasnt. not even in the voice mail he left me today around 10am. wish i had a way to get the audio posted. he even got into Jeff face (as seen from my vid) and called him names. this shows he is not thinking clearly and will jump anyones ass, no matter thier involvement.
there was poor sportsmanship displayed and i wasnt the one who did i tas Dave said. it started w/ Dave in the impound area. it continued w/ Matt King and Bob Denton willing to take podium pics w/out me and wouldnt return once the mistake was caught and re-take pics w/ me (yes, they were both still on property). i was told later this was more Matt than Bob. it continued w/ Dave dragging me thru the mud on the net. i talked w/ Tony G about all this and he agreed it was very poor sportsmanship and all 3 will be getting a phone call and a talking to about this.... some more stern than the others.

all and all i had a great time. i learned alot about Jeff Burch and he is a pretty good guy. you just have to get to know him a little. we had a blast and i'll never forget the yogurt sandwiches. :wink:

jeffburch
09-17-2008, 06:33 PM
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20206sm.jpg
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20207sm.jpg
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20208sm.jpg
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20209sm.jpg

AI#97
09-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Ok, got home and could see the video....interesting "race craft" from DS.... :?

jeffburch
09-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Rocco syndrome

jb

RichardP
09-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Those are some interesting pictures...

From the CMC Rules, section 8.2.4:
"No decals from any company, orginization, or manufacturer may be displayed that conflicts with any series sponsors."

The rule specifically applies to the car but the intent (along with the common sense) is there...

Richard P.

AllZWay
09-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Those are some interesting pictures...

From the CMC Rules, section 8.2.4:
"No decals from any company, orginization, or manufacturer may be displayed that conflicts with any series sponsors."

The rule specifically applies to the car but the intent (along with the common sense) is there...

Richard P.

Definitely not good podium pics supporting Kuhmo in a Toyo series.

jeffburch
09-17-2008, 08:27 PM
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20185sm.jpg
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20187crop.jpg

Wirtz
09-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Was the 67 car TPI?

ShadowBolt
09-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Has anyone given any thought to the fact that DS might have just been frustrated by getting man handled in the AI race just previous to the CMC race...or even fatigue from the AI race...? Dave really seemed like a nice guy at the track the limited time I got to talk to him... Just my $0.02...

My guess is that DS is used to winning almost every race he is in. I'm sure he felt lots of pressure from the Left coast guys to take down the big talking Texans. We know Texas has the fastest drivers in the land and we have been known to tell others about it from time to time. Dave is fast, there is no taking that away from him but how often does he drive in traffic like our top guys do?

One more thought;

I don't think the plug wire came off when Dave said it did (if it did at all). He stayed with Glenn for a few laps and was not pulled down the straight at all until later in the race.

JJ

jeffburch
09-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Was the 67 car TPI?

No.

GlennCMC70
09-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Was the 67 car TPI?

no - from what i was told. and it was fast. it also had the AI spec wing on it.

jeffburch
09-17-2008, 08:40 PM
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20197sm.jpg
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20215sm.jpg
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20216sm.jpg

michaelmosty
09-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Glenn, you need to cut back on the donuts. :lol:

I love the pics JB, keep-em coming!!

AI#97
09-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Rocco syndrome

jb

JB, found that thread on CC....guess he needs his glasses checked? Probably a good thing he is retiring from racing... :lol:

GlennCMC70
09-17-2008, 09:51 PM
i have a nw sponsor for 2009 - Donut City. there slogan is Donuts for the masses. (donuts for everyone :wink: )

Shortcutsleeping
09-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Huge congratulations to Glenn for the win. I've loved reading all the stories you guys have posted here, on camaromustangchallenge, etc. I've been following CMC for many years (and pushed several drivers into ya'lls clutches!) and while it seems that rules creep is getting out of hand (to me anyway) it is most certain that the Texas guys work and play hard and they do it together. Big thumbs up folks!!!

Adam's accounts from the other side of the helmet are insightful and it is obvious he did a great job really applying the correct rules in the correct manner and being totally up front about it. Kudos!

JB, for those of us that don't know who is in the pictures, can you (and all ya'll that post pics) put some captions in there so we can read and learn?

I'm in SLC tonite and heading to Miller for the first time tomorrow. I'll see if I can wrangle a pace-car ride and get a better idea of the track.

Keep the stories and pics coming!

Costas
cars and such...

GlennCMC70
09-17-2008, 10:18 PM
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20206sm.jpg
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20207sm.jpg
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20208sm.jpg
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20209sm.jpg

these are of Dave Schotz post Champ race at impound talking w/ Matt King (still in his car) all the while wearing a Kuhmo f/s in a Toyo series. here DS is drumming up suport for a protest against me.

GlennCMC70
09-17-2008, 10:21 PM
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/08Nats/2008_09_14%20215sm.jpg
this is me and Matt King just a few minutes after the Champ race. we both got sent to the dyno. i was told he was upset w/ me so i went to talk w/ him about it. i was explaining to him about DS on my left and i was kinda stuck there between them. note the smile in the last pic - he doesnt look too upset.

AI#97
09-17-2008, 10:23 PM
these are of Dave Schotz post Champ race at impound talking w/ Matt King (still in his car) all the while wearing a Kuhmo f/s in a Toyo series. here DS is drumming up suport for a protest against me.

Kind of funny how the stories fly after an event. mark luna was over on corner carvers giving his account of my passes on him in Sunday's race and there wasn't one thing accurate about his account...I posted my vid to make sure he got his story straight...

I am starting to see a trend that other regional drivers tend to get a little defensive when a 'Texas Boy' shows up and whips their ass on track!!!! Suffice to say, I lost some respect for Luna as it sounds like he is just making excuses for a poor performance on his part.

Tommy55
09-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Kind of funny how the stories fly after an event. mark luna was over on corner carvers giving his account of my passes on him in Sunday's race and there wasn't one thing accurate about his account...I posted my vid to make sure he got his story straight...

I am starting to see a trend that other regional drivers tend to get a little defensive when a 'Texas Boy' shows up and whips their ass on track!!!! Suffice to say, I lost some respect for Luna as it sounds like he is just making excuses for a poor performance on his part.[/quote]

Mark Luna was blocking us for about 5 laps of the race. It was crap

AllZWay
09-18-2008, 09:55 AM
BTW... Great job Tommy.

AI#97
09-18-2008, 12:31 PM
BTW... Great job Tommy.

No shit! If there were an award for most improved or "holy shit he got fast as fuck" award, Tommy would get it hands down! That Thunderchicken was flying with him at the wheel!!!! 8)

King Matt
09-18-2008, 04:09 PM
it continued w/ Matt King and Bob Denton willing to take podium pics w/out me and wouldnt return once the mistake was caught and re-take pics w/ me (yes, they were both still on property).
I'd like to clear this up. First, I admit to dragging my feet about getting back down to take the second podium shots, but frankly it had more to do with Ginsberg getting up in my face and demanding that I drop what I was doing and immediately report back down there. I might have said some impertinent things, but trust me they were more directed at Adam than Glenn even if I inadvertently used Glenn's name. :lol: It was late, the wicked weather was rolling in, and I wanted to get outta Dodge ASAP. All I asked was for a few minutes to finish strapping my car into the trailer. When even that was a problem, I took a few more minutes. Childish, yes. When I was done, Bob and I drove back down to the grid with the truck and trailer ready to take the shots, but it was too late. So I am guilty of dragging my feet, and as a result we didn't get the shot, but it was not because I wouldn't stand on the podium with Glenn. The photos JB posted accurately access the contact situation post-race. I was pissed off at the time on track, but Glenn knows that right after the checker I pulled alongside him and gave him the thumbs-up. The situation between him and Shotz has nothing to do with me. I just wish I had been heads-up enough to take better advantage of it and stay in the lead!

If Bob and I make it out to Hallett next year like we talked about, I will gladly recreate the podium shot we missed.

GlennCMC70
09-18-2008, 05:08 PM
i glad you came here and told your side. Adam admitted to getting in your face. thats between you and him.
that fact remains that you were willing to take your pics w/out me at one point. i would have never put my foot on that podium no matter my finishing place w/out the winner, 2nd or 3rd. i went straight to the podium in a hurry as soon as i was released from impound and was on the cart w/ Adam who was taking me there while making the results official. i was there w/in seconds of the results being official. i waited for 20 minutes or more for you guys. i got word you guys would not come back. had i had any idea you guys were coming back, i would have waited. to me its poor sportsmanship to take pics w/ out the winner, and its the same once agian by not stoping what your doing to return to correct the issue.
in 2006, i had to stand on the podium 2 separate times w/ JG da 3rd due to forgetting to perform a hat change. we all know how we feel about him and that race finish. i didnt like it, but i did it not once, but 2 times.

shame on you guys. i hope this will be used as a learning oppertunity to everyone and that we never see this again.
i'm not mad, just disapointed.

King Matt
09-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Glenn, we reported when called and didn't even know you weren't there or why until we were already up on the podium, since they called you last and there was a good sized crowd of people around the podium area. We stood up there looking around for you, but then they just kept going with the ceremony. I do regret we didn't get back in time to get the 2nd shot, but I'm not going to agree it was unsportsmanlike for us to be there. It was not our fault they called CMC before the results were final and you were released from impound. I know for a fact that your car was not still in impound because I was driving behind it back to the paddock when I was finally released. If you were still in impound it was for reasons unrelated to the tech inspection of your car. Let's just end this topic, since we all have our opinions about what constitutes sportsmanlike conduct, on track and off.

GlennCMC70
09-18-2008, 05:42 PM
your right, Jeff drove my car back. i had contact paperwork to do. one of which at the time was my fault. later i realized another was too. regardless of why i was there, i HAD to be there. and i'm not the only one who feels the same on this issue of sportsman like conduct. the Race Director, and the National Director both feel the same.

michaelmosty
09-18-2008, 09:02 PM
If Bob and I make it out to Hallett next year like we talked about, I will gladly recreate the podium shot we missed.
Man, Hallett next year is gonna be freakin sweet!!! :D

AllZWay
09-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Man, Hallett next year is gonna be freakin sweet!!! :D

It sure has the making of a much better turnout than Nats.....with just about all the same players and many many more of the nations greatest CMC drivers.(TEXAS CMC rules) :lol:

Tommy55
09-19-2008, 08:41 AM
BTW... Great job Tommy.

No shit! If there were an award for most improved or "holy shit he got fast as fuck" award, Tommy would get it hands down! That Thunderchicken was flying with him at the wheel!!!!

Thanks guys. Was really wanting that podium. Kinda feel I was robbed. Getting moved from 2nd to ninth in qualifying really hurt.

donovan
09-19-2008, 09:15 AM
great job Tommy, I got real excited when we were taking the checkered and I saw how far up you were, very cool!
Looking forward to Hallett.

DD