PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have one of these?

ShadowBolt
11-13-2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.weekend-racer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=122

I would like to have something that could be used WITHOUT being on a level surface (like even still on the trailer or any surface at the track). This one is a little high. Any other ideas?

JJ

Sorry, I forgot the link.

JJ

michaelmosty
11-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Which one are you talking about, I see nothing?

AllZWay
11-13-2008, 02:02 PM
http://www.smittysspeedshop.com/smilies/pics.jpg

mitchntx
11-13-2008, 02:12 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/ericrwalker/pichers1.jpg

Rob Liebbe
11-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Jerry,

The actual gage that they use is a re-labeled SmartTool digital inclinometer. They are available at Lowes, Home Depot, Sears etc. and for a lot less than the full $249 set price. The hands-free contraption sells for about $45 on the Smartracing.com website and seems like it would be worth it. Or if you knew somebody with a sheetmetal shop..... Look at the Smartracing website to get a better idea of the components.

As you and I have discussed before, the base setting is good to know, but when tuning the car its all about the change you want to make. The change will be dictated by vehicle handling, tire temps, tire pressures, pure guesswork, the average of everyone's advice or whatever. I use a smart level without the hands free and measure the camber as it is and then shoot for an incremental change. This can be done with the car at any slope, angle, or location.

Don't forget that when you change the camber, you have to follow through with toe adjustments also. I use the two person - tape measure to the tread method.

My methods may seem overly simple or crude, but they work for me. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

mitchntx
11-13-2008, 03:51 PM
We have a Longacre version of that.
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=1299&catid=5

I have noted the readings via this gauge, went to an alignment shop and had initial readings taken and then set to what I wanted and then returned and took the readings again with the longacre rig.

What I have found is that the longacre gauge consistently reads ~0.2* positive than what an alignemnt shop reads. This was using 2 different cars from 2 different alignment shops.

My thought process is that I'm not so much concerned with the actual number as I am in dealing with the amount of change.

Jerry, you could make a set of toe plates in your shop in about 5 minutes using $10 worth of material.
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=152&catid=5

Setting toe can be a little tricky if you aren't careful. It's very easy to have what you would think is zero toe and the wheels are angled slightly one way or another. Then the car would crab going down the straights.

ShadowBolt
11-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks Rob.
Since I have removed my right strut I would like to have something that can get me back to a baseline. Since the car is on the trailer I need to be able to do it there. I did not know about Smartracing. I did not want to spend $250.00 for such a tool but would still like to have one that works with the car on any angle.

Thanks!

ShadowBolt
11-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Good stuff Mitch.

Thanks,
JJ

ShadowBolt
11-13-2008, 05:05 PM
If anyone has a set of toe plates they can loan me (I would only need one) for a day or two or give me the dimensions I will make a set for everyone in CMC that wants a set. I'm sure I could guess on the size from the picture but having a sample or the correct dimensions would make it a piece of cake. It looks like the one in the link has a 90 degree flange and a 30-45 degree flange. I can make these for almost nothing.

JJ

AllZWay
11-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Jerry that would be awesome.

Currently, for toe plates I use a 3 inch piece of angle iron welded to 4 inch pieces of perling. It works okay, but heavy and bulky.

I have thought about buying a caster/camber guage but just haven't done it. Luckily have sponor that does it for free a couple of times a year.

marshall_mosty
11-13-2008, 05:19 PM
If Morgan is still around he has a set of the Longacre toe plates.

Wirtz
11-13-2008, 06:09 PM
If anyone has a set of toe plates they can loan me (I would only need one) for a day or two or give me the dimensions I will make a set for everyone in CMC that wants a set. I'm sure I could guess on the size from the picture but having a sample or the correct dimensions would make it a piece of cake. It looks like the one in the link has a 90 degree flange and a 30-45 degree flange. I can make these for almost nothing.

JJ

I have a set of Longacre toe plates you can borrow.

Jeff

ShadowBolt
11-13-2008, 06:23 PM

JJ

I have a set of Longacre toe plates you can borrow.

Jeff

Jeff,

That would be great. Can you get free for lunch tomorrow? I could meet you somewhere or you could come see the shop if you have time (I don't know what campus you work at). If not lunch tomorrow I can get with you next week as I will be out of pocket tomorrow after about 4:00 for the rest of the weekend.
Call me on my cell if you want. 658-7640.

Who wants a set? I can do twenty sets as easy as one for me.

JJ

jeffburch
11-13-2008, 06:45 PM
I'll take a set.
thx,
jb

michaelmosty
11-13-2008, 07:19 PM
SCHWEET, I'll take a set, thanks!

AllZWay
11-13-2008, 07:30 PM
I would definitely like to beg for a set. :D

mitchntx
11-13-2008, 07:40 PM
I can make these for almost nothing.
JJ

Damn ... there goes my commission!

donovan
11-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Damn... so much for being a Longacre vendor!!!

:P :lol:

Jerry, I would like a set or two as well...

You need to come back down to H2R, we have been down there just about every weekend having a blast!!!

Plus you will get to see the new Donovan Racing facility at the track!

DD

Rob Liebbe
11-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Me too!!!!!! Please.

mitchntx
11-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Sorry, Jerry. I didn't intend for this to turn into a free-for-all-toe-plate-give-a-thon

ShadowBolt
11-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Sorry, Jerry. I didn't intend for this to turn into a free-for-all-toe-plate-give-a-thon

Not a problem. I really don't mind making everyone a set. Even you Mitch!

JJ

David Love AI27
11-14-2008, 08:33 AM
no need to make me a set... sounds like I'll be able to borrow from just about ANYONE at the track.... :twisted: ... jk... put me down for a set, please... OH, wait, you made that offer to "CMC" guess I'll have to keep borrowing Frank's :roll:

Wirtz
11-14-2008, 10:29 AM
That would be great. Can you get free for lunch tomorrow? I could meet you somewhere or you could come see the shop if you have time (I don't know what campus you work at). If not lunch tomorrow I can get with you next week as I will be out of pocket tomorrow after about 4:00 for the rest of the weekend.
Call me on my cell if you want. 658-7640.
JJ

Jerry, I'll try to call you in a little bit. I'm at I35 and Palmer. We will figure it out. I have the plates with me.

Jeff

ShadowBolt
11-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Jeff,

I'm at the Lexus dealer getting my oil changed. I can drive by on my way back to Hutto. Call me when you get a chance.

JJ

ShadowBolt
11-14-2008, 12:08 PM
no need to make me a set... sounds like I'll be able to borrow from just about ANYONE at the track.... :twisted: ... jk... put me down for a set, please... OH, wait, you made that offer to "CMC" guess I'll have to keep borrowing Frank's :roll:

Ok David,

How about AI, CMC, and even AIX?

JJ

RichardP
11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
I could use a pair if you are making extras...

Thanks,
Richard P.

ShadowBolt
11-14-2008, 02:09 PM

Thanks,
Richard P.

Your in too Richard.

What about it Jeff? Can I drop by today before 2:30 or 3:00? If not we can get together next week. I'm going to Waco this afternoon and I'm going to leave a little early. Go Bears, beat the $hit A$$ Aggies!

JJ

michaelmosty
11-14-2008, 03:03 PM

Thanks,
Richard P.

Go Bears, beat the $hit A$$ Aggies!

JJ
And Baylor is actually favored against the Aggies. :shock:

AllZWay
11-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Wouldn't any high school team be favored over A&M ?:P

Alien
11-14-2008, 03:58 PM
What about it Jeff? Can I drop by today before 2:30 or 3:00? If not we can get together next week. I'm going to Waco this afternoon and I'm going to leave a little early. Go Bears, beat the $hit A$$ Aggies!
JJ

... he says right before he goes to pick up the plates from a former A&M student :D

ShadowBolt
11-14-2008, 04:00 PM
JJ

... he says right before he goes to pick up the plates from a former A&M student :D

That was the whole idea of the post.

JJ

Wirtz
11-14-2008, 04:11 PM
If the Ags win, then the plates will all have a Aggie logo on them ;)

GlennCMC70
11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Wouldn't any high school team be favored over A&M ?:P

wow, JP w/ the 2 for one special.

AI#97
11-14-2008, 04:43 PM
JJ

JJ

Why do you need a template? They are 24" long, 10-12" tall with a 1" fold top and bottom with slots cut at 3" and 4" above the "bottom". Usually made from .035" to .045" aluminum that can be bent along that axis and all the edges have a 1/2" radius on them.

Pretty simple stuff! Even this Aggie figured it out! :lol:

Chuck
11-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I'll take a set of plates.

"Go Bears, beat the $hit A$$ Aggies!"
JJ

Go Bears!!!!

Thanks,
Chuck
CMC #14

Fbody383
11-17-2008, 10:47 AM
<raises hand>

Jerry, I'll take a set and I'll share with Ross if he doesn't want his own. 8)

Very gracious of you, btw.

ShadowBolt
11-17-2008, 10:56 AM
JJ

JJ

Why do you need a template? They are 24" long, 10-12" tall with a 1" fold top and bottom with slots cut at 3" and 4" above the "bottom". Usually made from .035" to .045" aluminum that can be bent along that axis and all the edges have a 1/2" radius on them.

Pretty simple stuff! Even this Aggie figured it out! :lol:

Your right Matt but I thought I would make them exactly like the store-bought one's. The pic I saw it looked like there was a 90 degree angle on the top and a 30-45 degree angle on the bottom. I'm sure it makes no difference but if I can get a sample it will save me a little time.

GO Bears!

JJ

mitchntx
11-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Is there any reason why the lips are only about an inch or so wide? And is there any reason why there is a lip at all on the top?

If I were going to design this thing, it would be a "L" shape with the bottom leg a couple inches long. This would aid in the plate standing on it's own when trying to do this alone.

And the lip at the top, requires them to be stored back to back. A simple "L" shape would allow them to "spoon" and make it easier to store.

AI#97
11-17-2008, 01:14 PM
And the lip at the top, requires them to be stored back to back. A simple "L" shape would allow them to "spoon" and make it easier to store.

Gay reference this morning and now "spooning"....you harboring some tendancies WE need to be worried about or is it only Glenn that has to watch his back?

Longacres are 90 degree bends on top and bottom. Gives more strength to the shape.

Jerry, be careful making them "exactly" like the store boughts....don't want you to get into trouble!

mitchntx
11-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Jerry, be careful making them "exactly" like the store boughts....don't want you to get into trouble!

He's right.

Maybe water jet out a rainbow to celebrate our AI Champion.

Rob Liebbe
11-17-2008, 01:44 PM
I'll take my without the rainbow, thank you very much.

ShadowBolt
11-17-2008, 02:34 PM
You can only get in trouble if you SELL a copy of something. When you give it away it's not a problem.

JJ

GlennCMC70
11-17-2008, 02:59 PM
any chance of improving on the lip some?

something like this:
l
\
l

so it will lay on the wheel at whatever camber angle it happens to be w/out the need to hold it? if you make the horizantal part longer, it will stand up, but likely 90 degree's vertial.

David Love AI27
11-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Your right Matt but I thought I would make them exactly like the store-bought one's. The pic I saw it looked like there was a 90 degree angle on the top and a 30-45 degree angle on the bottom. I'm sure it makes no difference but if I can get a sample it will save me a little time.

JJ

the 90 degree would alow you to stand it up for pos camber and the lesser degree would allow you to lean it against the wheel for neg camber... I'll bet the companies that make these did SOME research to make it universal... :shock: I'll take whatever you are willing to provide, not asking you to reinvent or custom build... :D

I forgot you haven't been around these guys that long... if you ask how to build something in this forum you are gonna get a DIFFERENT opinion from everyone and may even get differing opinions from the same person... :twisted: :P

Al Fernandez
11-18-2008, 02:23 AM
Count me in too Jerry! Now, about cranking out some more spacers :wink:

For myself, I made some stools I can put under the four wheels. The four corners of the stools have adjustable feet so they can be leveled, and they are tall enough that I can lay under the car and make adjustments (not as big a deal for you strut guys). You could probably make some short ones in about no time: rectangular piece of plate with a reinforcing rib welded down the sides, weld four nuts on the corners or drill/tap, buy some threaded machine feet from McMaster 8)

ShadowBolt
11-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Jeff was nice enough to drop by the shop today with samples and I will get these knocked out so I can bring them to Waco next month.

JJ

ShadowBolt
12-18-2008, 11:11 AM
To all of you that wanted a set of these plates.

They went to the paint shop yesterday for powdercoat. I did not like the way they looked so I asked my painter if he would shoot them with whatever he was stooting today. I don't know the color but it really does not make any difference to me. I should have them back by Monday. If you need yours prior to MSRH let me know and I can UPS them to you. If you did not post in this thread that you wanted a set you missed out on this run. I think there will be enough for us to all share them.

JJ

Al Fernandez
12-18-2008, 04:12 PM
I dont care what Glenn says, YOU are the man!

JJordan
12-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Here are the pics of the finished plates.

-Jay

http://www.precisionautoaccessories.com/CMC/1229081259-00.jpg

http://www.precisionautoaccessories.com/CMC/1229081259-01.jpg

Fbody383
12-29-2008, 03:06 PM
I dont care what Glenn says, YOU are the man!

+1

Saweet.

GlennCMC70
12-29-2008, 03:21 PM
WOW!!!!!! those are bad ass! very nice work.

you guys better take care of Jerry for this one.

ShadowBolt
12-29-2008, 04:43 PM
I have enough parts to make a set for everyone that ask plus a set for Jeff Wirtz for loaning his to me as a sample. If your not on this list you missed out on this run.

AllZWay
Wirtz
jeffb
michaelmosty
mitchntx (and Glenn get to share a pair)
donovan
Rob Liebbe
David Love AI27
RichardP
Alien
Chuck
Fbody
Al Fernandez

I will bring them to the track if I can get my car back together in time. The motor is in the garage and still needs headers, rockers and pushrods installed plus the water pump, oil pan, valve covers and intake. This could all be done in two hours but then getting the old motor out and getting the other back in by myself is gonna be tough since I can't work on it again until 1-10-09. I will have to get some time on it prior to MSRH but I may run out of time.

JJ

mitchntx
12-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Awesome Team Jordan ... simply awesome!

Actually, I requested a set for Steve. Glenn and I bought a set of toe plates ... :cry:

ShadowBolt
12-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Awesome Team Jordan ... simply awesome!

Actually, I requested a set for Steve. Glenn and I bought a set of toe plates ... :cry:

You are correct Mitch. I forgot about that. I do have one extra plate that you could use with one of your others so you would have AICMC on it. It's yours if you want it. It was a set-up piece that turned out to be good.

JJ

AllZWay
12-29-2008, 05:31 PM
AWESOME work Jerry. TWO THUMBS UP!!

Chuck
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Those are SWEET Jerry!

If you need help wrestling the engine out or in, let me know. I have done many Mustang engine swaps...I am in Round Rock and can drop in to help. I have a hoist as well if you need one.

Chuck
CMC #14

Al Fernandez
12-30-2008, 12:57 PM
You rock Jerry!!!

jeffburch
12-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I was at Lowes this morning and picked 2 small tape measures for $2.58ea

jb

michaelmosty
12-30-2008, 03:34 PM

jb
What, tape measures aren't included with the toe-plates??? :P

ShadowBolt
12-31-2008, 03:18 PM

jb
What, tape measures aren't included with the toe-plates??? :P

Not with yours!

JJ

ShadowBolt
12-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Those are SWEET Jerry!

If you need help wrestling the engine out or in, let me know. I have done many Mustang engine swaps...I am in Round Rock and can drop in to help. I have a hoist as well if you need one.

Chuck
CMC #14

Chuck, I hope you did not offer just to be nice? I will take your help if you really mean it. Talk to you when I get back in town.

JJ

David Love AI27
12-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Those are SWEET Jerry!

Chuck
CMC #14

Chuck, I hope you did not offer just to be nice? I will take your help if you really mean it. Talk to you when I get back in town.

JJ

Chuck is ALWAYS nice...