PDA

View Full Version : Koni SUCKS!

ShadowBolt
12-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Three race weekends on my new DA's and one adjuster went out. I sent it back hoping for some help since they were brand new and was charged $227.50! Guy tells me he thinks I bottomed out the strut. I really doubt that with 1000 lb springs.

JJ

AI#97
12-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Three race weekends on my new DA's and one adjuster went out. I sent it back hoping for some help since they were brand new and was charged $227.50! Guy tells me he thinks I bottomed out the strut. I really doubt that with 1000 lb springs.

JJ

Have him check the part number and make sure they aren't for an SN95....they are longer and have less bump travel so it is possible....if you had the wrong strut. also, any big off could do it...1000's aren't that stiff! ;)

Rob Liebbe
12-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Still cheaper than the $299 plus shipping I just paid for a new one.

RichardP
12-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Guy tells me he thinks I bottomed out the strut.

It's not that hard to do.

Bump stops are your friend and should be set up to allow the car to bottom without bottoming out the strut.

Similarly, make sure your camber plate/strut attachment is adjusted to give you as much bump travel as possible. You use up much of the available travel when you lower the car.

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
12-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Okay I stand corrected. Pushing hard down on the fender you can just get about an inch to an inch and a half of travel. Still, I had 700 lb springs for a year and with many offs never hurt a strut.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
12-04-2008, 02:55 PM
At least you can come up with a possiblity of why your strut failed. On mine, the top cap came loose and leaked all the pressure out. (I've had my share of offs and use/wear and tear). I'll be checking how tight that top cap is from now on.

Wirtz
12-04-2008, 10:02 PM
For confirming travel and bottoming out, put a zip tie on the shaft as a tattle tail. Reset it before a session to somewhere in the middle of the staft and then check after the session to see how much stroke you were using. You might be surprised.

Jeff

jeffburch
12-04-2008, 10:59 PM
For confirming travel and bottoming out, put a zip tie on the shaft as a tattle tail. Reset it before a session to somewhere in the middle of the staft and then check after the session to see how much stroke you were using. You might be surprised.

Jeff

That's what she said!
<paddum-dum-chiiiiiii>

jb

Wirtz
12-05-2008, 12:24 AM
:wink:

One other thought, if you are fed up with Konis to the point of wanting another option, check out the guys at Vorshlag (http://vorshlag.com/). They carry AST and I have started working with them for some options for my car. They might be able to help you out. Tell them I sent you (then duck!).

Jeff

Rob Liebbe
12-05-2008, 09:29 AM

I have started working with them for some options for my car.

Jeff

I thought I told you to go back to sleep. :x

Fbody383
12-05-2008, 01:07 PM

Jeff

I think it's time to just declare Wirtz's car an AI car.

AllZWay
12-05-2008, 03:29 PM

Jeff

Something but CMC anyway. :P

michaelmosty
12-05-2008, 04:40 PM

Jeff

Something but CMC anyway. :P
Careful there James, your next!