PDA

View Full Version : trailer question

jeremiahkellam
12-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Do any of you with enclosed trailers have 3500lb axles? If so, any complaints?? Looking for suggestions

Thanks

Al Fernandez
12-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Get bigger axles. 7000lbs is not that hard to hit. A steel 24' trailer will weigh 3500lbs or more empty. Add a 3000lb car and you havent got much more left before you're overloading it.

BryanL
12-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Al is right. Enclosed trailers need 5k axles for us and a 3/4 ton truck.

What are you looking at? I suggest one big enough to haul one of your father in laws little trucks.

AI#97
12-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Yes...they worked fine. Just don't go overboard with loading the trailer with a bunch of "spares" or you will need a triple axle like Corey!

If you go 3500's, get a taller sidewall tire that flexes more and it will put less lateral stress into the torsion bars. The other nice thing is they sit a LOT lower and it makes it easier to load a very low car....and step into/out of....

I had nearly 9000lbs in my old trailer (Donovan's) and it didn't flinch..

GlennCMC70
12-12-2008, 11:20 PM
9000lbs.... HA!

Mitch's rig coming back from Nationals 2007 w/ my car was over 20,000lbs for truck and trailer. thats about 14K for the trailer boys and girls.

AI#97
12-12-2008, 11:22 PM
9000lbs.... HA!

Mitch's rig coming back from Nationals 2007 w/ my car was over 20,000lbs for truck and trailer. thats about 14K for the trailer boys and girls.

Was your helmet in the trailer?! Good God Glenn, I know Burch packed light but damn.

NO reason you should have been that heavy unless you had a machine shop in there....

Al Fernandez
12-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Come on Matt, its not a matter of it not breaking the first or even the second time you overload it. The bottom line is if you're running it over design specifications, you're asking for it. Choosing the weight rating based on ride height is plug stupid, especially considering ride height is adjustable on trailing arm type torsion axles. What are we talking about, $400 to upgrade from 3500 to 5200?

David Love AI27
12-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Come on Matt, its not a matter of it not breaking the first or even the second time you overload it. The bottom line is if you're running it over design specifications, you're asking for it. Choosing the weight rating based on ride height is plug stupid, especially considering ride height is adjustable on trailing arm type torsion axles. What are we talking about, $400 to upgrade from 3500 to 5200?

besides isn't it illegal to run over the "legal" weight... anyone know how much the ticket is for an overloaded trailer??

AI#97
12-15-2008, 12:54 PM
besides isn't it illegal to run over the "legal" weight... anyone know how much the ticket is for an overloaded trailer??

show me a way to measure the weight on the side of the road before the trooper writes the ticket to PROVE you are over weight. None commercial vehicles aren't required to stop at weigh stations and you just scrape any sticker off the trailer stating what it's rated at... Cop can pound salt at that point as he is guessing and can't prove shit unless he runs the registration which will usually list the max weight....but without scales, he is wasting his time.

And no Al, it isn't 4-500...Most econohaulers come with 3500's because the frame is lighter. They won't put 5000lb axles under the lighter framed trailers anymore because of the liability. It's the difference between a 5" or 6" frame up to an 8" or 10" frame and even boxed on some. You have to step up to the HEAVY Duty trailers which typically adds 2500 to the price. You can buy standard 24' econo's for $5500 most any day of the week. When you go to the steel floors, aluminum interiors and bigger axles, you start approaching $8500 to 10500+. some folks want the conveniece of the enclosed trailer, but not spend more than their race car for it AND have to pay to store it somewhere! ;)

jeffburch
12-15-2008, 01:10 PM
DPS with "weights and measures" on the side of his truck can and will weigh your butt anywhere/anytime he wants.

jb

mitchntx
12-15-2008, 02:41 PM
DPS with "weights and measures" on the side of his truck can and will weigh your butt anywhere/anytime he wants.

jb

And they ask some very pointed questions that require specificly worded answers to allow you to pass.

ask Glenn sometime ... I chose not to relive it ...

AI#97
12-15-2008, 03:20 PM

jb

And when have you seen one of those guys EVER?! Seriously?

Rob Liebbe
12-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Matt, I see them all the time. They drive the black and white DPS Ford F150s, Dodge Rams, and Chevy Silverados cruising every interstate in Texas, they're rather common. They carry portable scales in the beds for roadside measurements. Give 'em some attitude next time you see one, they like that.

:D

GlennCMC70
12-15-2008, 04:23 PM
i too see them often.

i thought you knew it all Matt?

BryanL
12-15-2008, 05:14 PM
I see them regularly too. Right by my house on Loop 820 they routinely make trucks exit and have the scales sitting there.
Dirt track racer I know got a ticket for overweight with his dually and enclosed. It was more than a grand for the ticket, but the guy is a complete idiot and that probably contributed to getting the ticket.

ShadowBolt
12-15-2008, 05:54 PM

jb

My dad did this for part of his 33 years with DPS so they do exist.

JJ

mitchntx
12-15-2008, 07:47 PM

jb

Granted, they aren't as plentiful as a red patcher, but it would suck HUGE when it happened.

AI#97
12-15-2008, 08:00 PM

jb

JJ

I know they exist, but when have you seen them pull over a private hauler? The ones I have always seen have had semi's pulled over or the occassional MAJOR speeder.

And Glenn, once again you are wrong...I don't know shit but I understand the ODDS of things happening.

So for the real law abiding haulers around here....who has their trailer inspected every year? Probably NONE of you! :lol:

michaelmosty
12-15-2008, 10:56 PM

jb

JJ

I know they exist, but when have you seen them pull over a private hauler? The ones I have always seen have had semi's pulled over or the occassional MAJOR speeder.

And Glenn, once again you are wrong...I don't know shit but I understand the ODDS of things happening.

So for the real law abiding haulers around here....who has their trailer inspected every year? Probably NONE of you! :lol:
Unless you are driving recklessly in Oklahoma! :P

mitchntx
12-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Unless you are driving recklessly in Oklahoma! :P

He spins, drives the lane, behind the back and over the top slam dunk smashing the glass!

GlennCMC70
12-16-2008, 08:48 AM
ya know, he really pulled me over looking for that cowboy dressed in all white. the guy had a lisp of some sort.

Al Fernandez
12-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Alright, its ok Matt, we get it; ignoring manufacturer's design specifications as well as the law is an MFW best practice. :lol:

Jeremiah, (and anyone else for that matter) dont buy a trailer without talking to Pat Stone. He owns a trailer dealership, is a fellow CMC driver, and is just a really great guy. He'll tell you the diff in a 22' box between the "heavy duty" as Matt calls it and under rated is more like $800 retail, less for smaller boxes.