PDA

View Full Version : Teal car sold ...

mitchntx
12-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I delivered the car to TWS this weekend and the new owners loaded it and drove off Saturday evening after each one had taken it out for a session.

I drove it the first couple sessions just to see how it would perform.

Wow ... just wow!

It still has the factory cluster in it and the speedo worked. I wasn't pushing it really hard, but at one point I looked down at the speedo as I crossed the S/F line and was passing 135 mph and it was still pulling like a freight train! It was a rocket ship.

Glenn and I had decided to think outside the box a little and did a few things completely off the radar from what we have always done and it worked amazingly well. The car would freaking turn!

The new owners drove it and emerged with perma-smiles, even though it had a couple small issues ... oil leak off the timing cover, sluggish starter and a puking PS pump. I was glad they didn't think it was a big deal.

I have yet to see an LT1 NOT leak oil from the timing cover. I had warned them about the sluggish starter, but seemed to get a little better as it was used and we provided them with a LAW MS revalved PS pump.

I had mixed emotions about seeing it go, especially after driving it. It felt a lot faster than my TA.

Other weekend high-lights ...

Steve was breaking in his new bullet. Ran it slow and steady all day Saturday and then put the spurs to it today. Another rocket ship. He said he was seeing the shift light in 5th at the end of the straight and having to go to 5th on the back straight to keep it off the rev limiter. That's not a good sign for the rest of us in CMC2.

Kim Leibbe was showing everyone the fast line, making instructors lose their lunch all the while. With some seat time, she would be an awesome driver!

Jason and David Love were there flogging the the Camaro and Neon. Apparently David was having a few issues instructing a green student who had just purchased a new Z06. So David puts the poor chap in the passenger seat and commences to take the off roading at T7 ... ON PURPOSE! Nothing like negative reinforcement, eh Dave? :wink:

While Jason was driving the camaro, some how, the threads pulled out of the end of the panhard bar and lost a welded on exhaust tip. Just happened ... hmmm. :wink: :wink:

Saw my first Nissan GTR ... one word ... stealth. Never heard a peep from it other than the wind whistling as it moved the air out of the way. It was stoopid fast.

ShadowBolt
12-14-2008, 07:17 PM
I knew I should have bought that teal car!

Chuck Schibe (sp) I think traded his C6 for a GTR.

JJ

David Love AI27
12-14-2008, 10:17 PM

Jason and David Love were there flogging the the Camaro and Neon. Apparently David was having a few issues instructing a green student who had just purchased a new Z06. So David puts the poor chap in the passenger seat and commences to take the off roading at T7 ... ON PURPOSE! Nothing like negative reinforcement, eh Dave? :wink:

While Jason was driving the camaro, some how, the threads pulled out of the end of the panhard bar and lost a welded on exhaust tip. Just happened ... hmmm. :wink: :wink:

Yep... drove straight off at 7 going CW... at full speed... in the Neon!!!

let me explain... a couple of weeks ago I was instructing at a TDE event and witnessed a driver in a S2000 drop 2 off exiting T7 and tried to pull it back on the track... the car came across track, turned sideways, dug into the mud and rolled twice then flipped end over end, at one point 15 feet in the air... I was one of the first to respond and it really opened my eyes to the dangers of instructing...

this weekend my green student almost lost it in the same spot and it brought back a sickening feeling, when I told him just to drive straight off he replyed that he didn't want to mess up his car!?!? maybe I reacted wrong but I really didn't know how to get my point across...

I know Mitch was kidding around and didn't mean anything with his comment, I just wanted you guys to understand where I was coming from... We have all seen some bad crashes but most invloved race cars with cages and without a passenger... I have responded to many accidents as a corner worker, but in all cases it involved drivers, with protection, that put themselves in that situation... I have just gained a ton of respect for those who buckle up with a total stranger and go along for an "edge of control" high speed ride...

AND, after Mitch left, I was told that the exhaust tip came off when I was driving and the pan hard bar broke because I relocated the bar after the last repair and didn't leave enough threads to hold it... DAMN IT, Jason still hasn't screwed up... don't tell him, his head is getting too big as it is... I'm gonna start calling him Jr... GL Jr...

BUT on the lighter side, it really was funny watching the reaction of my student as we went off...

David Love AI27
12-14-2008, 10:18 PM
me too Jerry... car looked good... it is gonna be great to have some new blood

jeffburch
12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Congrats on the sale.

jb

David Love AI27
12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
forgot to mention... when Jason was driving, as the car crossed S/F the hood poped up on one side... his first thought: DAD!!! what did your do???

Well, he thought it was a missing hood pin, but the nut holding the actual pin came "unwelded" from the radiator core support... wow!!! I'm thinking of adding an extra pair of pins...

mitchntx
12-14-2008, 10:51 PM
You're right David ... I was using a little "yellow journalism" there ... ;)

But as an instructor, sometimes a good object lesson goes a long way. yours was the ultimate in object!

Thanks for kind words about teh Teal car. Not bad for a first weekend out.

AI#97
12-15-2008, 12:15 AM
I know Mitch was kidding around and didn't mean anything with his comment, I just wanted you guys to understand where I was coming from... We have all seen some bad crashes but most invloved race cars with cages and without a passenger... I have responded to many accidents as a corner worker, but in all cases it involved drivers, with protection, that put themselves in that situation... I have just gained a ton of respect for those who buckle up with a total stranger and go along for an "edge of control" high speed ride...

I have been instructing going on 3 years now I can say I have had great students and a couple of idiots. I have been in the car for teen classes with 14 and 15 year olds that have NEVER driven before.....and I can say with absolute certainty, NEVER have I been truly concerned about them screwing up bad enough to hurt me. I don't let them even get close to screwing up that bad and I can say that if a student drives past the limit, it's the instructor's fault for letting him/her get there. There is really only one student/car I won't get back into because he doesn't have a cage/harness yet and he is just an agressive C6 Z06 driver. He hasn't made any major mistakes but the speeds that car is capable of, I want more protection.

David, I am guessing the incident you speak of was with Driver's Edge? Do we know who the instructor was and hopefully he's OK?

mitchntx
12-15-2008, 08:37 AM

Geez! How could I forget ...

It was also good to see and visit with KC, Adrianne and spawn this weekend. Really good to see him behind the wheel again.

David Love AI27
12-15-2008, 10:26 AM
David, I am guessing the incident you speak of was with Driver's Edge? Do we know who the instructor was and hopefully he's OK?

Yes, TDE... Instructor named Andrew or Andy? went to the hospital and released that night... hospital bill for testing was reported to be @$15,000 :shock:

AI#97
12-15-2008, 12:46 PM

Yes, TDE... Instructor named Andrew or Andy? went to the hospital and released that night... hospital bill for testing was reported to be @$15,000 :shock:

didn't think they had a hospital in B/CS that you could spend that much at...? :lol:

rpoz27
12-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Got an email from DL's student this morning.

"First time to any track was yesterday and today at TWS. I had 0 experience with racing and have been a new Z06 owner for only 3 weeks. I shared this with David L prior to getting on the track. He was awesome, not once did he make feel like an idiot for all the mistakes I made. Thanks to him, my first time out was a very pleasant learning experience. He even took extra time out of his day to allow me to ride along in his car as he demonstrated some corrective safety strategies regarding some undesirable situations I put us in on the trackā€¦. " :D

mitchntx
12-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Now that's an interesting "spin" on it.

pa-da-pum-tink

michaelmosty
12-15-2008, 04:06 PM
"corrective safety strategies regarding some undesirable situations"

Now that's funny!! :)