PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Violation for the Rockstar Vid?

GlennCMC70
12-30-2008, 05:06 PM
i just got this note from You Tube:

Dear LAWMotorsportsdotnet,

Video Disabled

A copyright owner has claimed it owns some or all of the audio content in your video I wanna be a Rockstar. The audio content identified in your video is Rockstar by Nickelback. We regret to inform you that your video has been blocked from playback due to a music rights issue.

is it cause we have a shop logo in the vid?

Fbody383
12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
The logo is probably how they found you. "Fair use" of something in the public domain would only be a short clip, anything approaching the full song could be construed as an unlicensed use.

You could always send the copyright guys a note asking for persmission to use it free of cost. The copyright cost would probably be something nominal for each copy of a recorded media and probably never granted for use on YouTube.

Not a lawyer.

jeffburch
12-30-2008, 06:09 PM
These guys can tell you
http://www.ascap.com/

Ever been to a bar with a jukebox?
Wonder why they just don't play a radio?
Jukebox or front door will have an ascap sticker on it.

jb

Check out this document for just background music say at a Walmart or Dillard's http://www.ascap.com/licensing/pdfs/background.pdf

mitchntx
12-30-2008, 06:22 PM
It was just a matter of time, I guess.

I never thought it would get the widespread distribution it had.

Fun while it lasted ...

mitchntx
12-30-2008, 07:19 PM
The logo is probably how they found you. "Fair use" of something in the public domain would only be a short clip, anything approaching the full song could be construed as an unlicensed use.

You could always send the copyright guys a note asking for persmission to use it free of cost. The copyright cost would probably be something nominal for each copy of a recorded media and probably never granted for use on YouTube.

Not a lawyer.

Many years ago, we tried to use a portion of Carly Simon's "No One Does it Better" when the plant was finally licensed and operating.

A "sound alike" singing the pre-approved segment of the song was going to cost ~$30,000 per screening in an industrial environment. Audience had to be limited to 100 per screening and 1000 total and there be no charge to view.

ASCAP ... gotta love it ... I understand royalties, but the arrangers got a piece, the songwriter got a piece, the singer got a piece, even the producers of the James Bond movies got a piece.

jeffburch
12-30-2008, 07:55 PM
I think it's all justified dude.
Whether there is profit involved is not the question.
Have you ever had someone use you as a reference of some sort and they never came to you personally and asked you for it?
Same thing in my way of thinking.

jb

mitchntx
12-30-2008, 09:05 PM
I think it's all justified dude.
Whether there is profit involved is not the question.
Have you ever had someone use you as a reference of some sort and they never came to you personally and asked you for it?
Same thing in my way of thinking.

jb

I understand, jb.

But I also understand that there is a difference between using it for profit vs using it for fun. How many Nickleback albums were sold because they saw my Rockstar vid? If it were just 2, that's probably two more than they would have without my free marketing.

It's a pendulum that can swing both ways.

As far as carly simon's deal goes, I would have expected the arrangers and songwriters to have gotten a piece. But the movie studio who produced the James Bond movies (Universal I think it was)? I thought that a little over the top.

I guess we all need to be a little more careful when using Pop music.

This is better ... right click/Save as please ...
www.lawmotorsports.net/vids/RockyStar.wmv

GlennCMC70
12-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Marshall, be sure and watch the above linked vid w/ your wife. :roll:

marshall_mosty
12-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Marshall, be sure and watch the above linked vid w/ your wife. :roll:
I had a tear in my eye the entire time.

MikeP99Z
12-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Blah - the new dub is just plain wrong. Un-Texan.

Nice that the real version got some play time, it's a fun video.

Alien
12-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Just republish it under unLAWful Motorsports

David Love AI27
12-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Blah - the new dub is just plain wrong. Un-Texan.

Nice that the real version got some play time, it's a fun video.

Hate to admit it... I really liked it :shock: the music "flowed" well with the movement of the cars...

posted a comment on nickelback's myspace about them being "money grubbing whores"... I must have done something wrong because it didn't post to the page... I wll have to try later...

AI#97
12-31-2008, 11:50 AM
I find it hard to believe you guys got singled out as there are 3 million user videos on the web with background music still out there. That tells me that Nickleback or their label are money grubbing bastards just like metallic was a few years back. Doesn't change the fact I like their music but I do respect them a little less for it.

mitchntx
12-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Well, the law is the law. No gray areas.

jeffburch
12-31-2008, 12:57 PM
You should now record a hokey parody of that song kinda like Bo/Jim do on KZPS.
Then put it to the vid and re-upload.
Make fun of the song/Nickleback and youtube in the lyrics.
jb

Alien
12-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Mockstar by Quarterback

Fbody383
12-31-2008, 02:01 PM
A "sound alike" singing the pre-approved segment of the song was going to cost ~$30,000 per screening in an industrial environment. Audience had to be limited to 100 per screening and 1000 total and there be no charge to view.

Shazzam! That's just absurd. Almost worth doing a spoken parody about how ASCAP stole the fun.

cobra132
12-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Anybody live on a farm? We need a few clips of some chickens so we can write our own song and make a video. We'll call it "I wanna be a cockstar". F Nickleback

JJordan
12-31-2008, 07:27 PM
You should now record a hokey parody of that song kinda like Bo/Jim do on KZPS.
Then put it to the vid and re-upload.
Make fun of the song/Nickleback and youtube in the lyrics.
jb

Someone write it and I will sing it.

JJ

Jeremy Gunter
12-31-2008, 10:15 PM
I went through this a few years back at a small private college, wanted to do a homecoming video, we had ASCAP and another licensing company. I had to go find the owners reps and call them up. I couldn't get half the people to call me back... I gave up after about 2 months...

If you guys are serious, someone write the song, we can rerecord/remaster the music, and I will bring some recording gear down to MSR-H with me...

mitchntx
12-31-2008, 10:35 PM
I couldn't get half the people to call me back... I gave up after about 2 months...

If you guys are serious, someone write the song, we can rerecord/remaster the music, and I will bring some recording gear down to MSR-H with me...

Typically, you won't. You have to go through an agent. I used Mary Collins when I attempted the Carly Simon piece.

You guys are nuts if you think it's worth re-doing that video. By my calculations, there are 4 weekends between now and the first race.

Alien
01-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Just last week, I got a notice from my "To Kill a Camaro" (time-lapse stripping a 92'RS in 3.5 hrs) video about copyright stuff, but they only disabled the audio from it. It was "Another one bites the dust" with a sprinkle of "King of the Hill"

From now on, I'm going to find small-time band websites and shoot off an email asking permission. Throw their website/myspace/whatever in the credits in all fairness.

mitchntx
01-27-2009, 10:28 PM
That was an awesome video, Gary.

I recall that vid floating around the message boards several years ago and how everyone thought you (or the owner) was freaking nuts destroying a perfectly good car.

Lot's of folks said the frame was bent, the motor was shot, it was rusted through the floor ... lots of reason for it.

Now I realize that the original thought was true because you are freaking nuts.