PDA

View Full Version : GT40 heads please

jeremiahkellam
01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Looking for heads, non "P". something unmolested...

also on the look out for a block w/ crankshaft

AI#97
01-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Looking for heads, non "P". something unmolested...

also on the look out for a block w/ crankshaft

are P's not allowed? I have a buddy here at work that would let a COMPLETE Explorer motor pan to intake, go for about $450. Had about 75k miles on it when truck was hit on the LF corner. Still in truck and runs, just need to pull it and he is anxious to pull it to get the city off his back.

let me know and I will inquire..

mitchntx
01-29-2009, 02:12 PM
I have a buddy here at work that would let a COMPLETE Explorer motor pan to intake, go for about $450.

5. ELIGIBLE MANUFACTURERS/MODELS
Manufacturers:
Ford Motor Company (Early Ford)
Eligible Early Ford makes and models:
1979-95 Ford Mustang 5.0 V8 including 1993-1995 Cobra (1993 and 1995 Cobra R models excluded)
1979-86 Mercury Capri 5.0 V8
1996-2004 Ford Mustang 4.6 SOHC V8
1996-04 Ford Mustang 4.6 DOHC N/A V8*(2000 Cobra R and 2003-2004 Cobra models excluded; 4.6 DOHC may run CMC2 only)

7.1 Allowed Modifications
Other than those items specifically allowed by the rules

7.3 Update/Backdate Non-body Components
Non-body components may be updated/backdated within cars of the same manufacturer on the eligible manufacturers/models list (i.e. 1982-92 GM Early components may NOT be interchanged with 1993-97 GM Late components) unless noted elsewhere in these rules.

7.11 Engine
7.11.1 Any 4.6 2V Ford, 5.0,(302 Ford or 305 GM), 5.7 liter LT1 GM V8 production engine, in OEM stock configuration unless otherwise stated in these rules, that was originally offered in an eligible model car is legal.

This has been bugging me for a while and maybe I need to be calibrated.

But I don't see the word "Explorer" listed in section 5. "Mustang" and "Capri" are specifically listed as eligible manufacturers/models and 7.3 is pretty specific about updating and backdating per the eligible model list.

When asked if I could source a camshaft from an LT1 from an Impala or Roadmaster, I was told it was not eligible per 7.11 and section 5.

How is it, then, an Explorer motor can pass this litmus test?

My reason for asking is that a Camaro/Firebird OEM LT1 camshft, new, is almost non-existent and damned pricey when found. Mine was almost $600 from Melling. Seems most folks who exchange camshafts in this platform go to something with a little more ummph.

Impalas and Roadmaster, OTOH, has a good selection of camshafts for just the opposite reason ... $89 from O'Reilly's.

jeremiahkellam
01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
the "P"s are allowed, I was just trying to avoid it if possible cause I've already bought shorties, and they wont work with P heads. But, that isnt a deal breaker, i can always sell them and get new headers

AI#97
01-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Mitch, I think your line of Honest thinking has already been proven to be your crutch compared to what's been the norm on the west coast. Maybe you should just stop asking questions and do what you need to do knowing full well you are still meeting the "intent" of the rules....if the camshafts are identical in spec. for example....

Sort of like being gay in the military...don't ask, don't tell... ;)

mitchntx
01-29-2009, 05:02 PM
And I understand how a politician's mind works.

But I have a conscience, so ... 8)

If it's acceptable practice to use Explorer motors, or Impala LT1 components, then OK. Just make it so in the rules.

RichardP
01-29-2009, 05:05 PM
If it's acceptable practice to use Explorer motors, or Impala LT1 components, then OK. Just make it so in the rules.

The key is that only parts of the explorer motor that are the same as the Mustang platform are legal. Why is that different than an LT1 from an Impala???

Richard P.

mitchntx
01-29-2009, 05:09 PM

The key is that only parts of the explorer motor that are the same as the Mustang platform are legal. Why is that different than an LT1 from an Impala???

Richard P.

I thought the Exporer blocks were different than what came in a Mustang? Hence the reason for my "calibration" ...

Impala LT1s had iron heads and were de-tuned.

michaelmosty
01-29-2009, 05:45 PM
the "P"s are allowed, I was just trying to avoid it if possible cause I've already bought shorties, and they wont work with P heads. But, that isnt a deal breaker, i can always sell them and get new headers
Jeremiah, if you find some "P" heads let me know and I might buy your existing shorties for use next year.

AI#97
01-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Jeremiah, if you find some "P" heads let me know and I might buy your existing shorties for use next year.

It was my mistake, the motor is from a 96 Explorer...97.5+ had the P heads...Still a smokin' deal if Jeremiah is able to come get it!

JK, let me know if you want me to go see it run. I am pretty confident in what is being offered is good to go right into the car, just have to swap the camshaft and valvesprings.

jeffburch
01-29-2009, 07:25 PM
pull it tonight.
Mitch has room.
jb

mitchntx
01-29-2009, 08:21 PM
pull it tonight.
Mitch has room.
jb

Thanks, JB ... :roll: