PDA

View Full Version : Standing start rules

Al Fernandez
03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
From the CCR...

20.8 Flagman Timed Start (split or not)
The Starter will raise a furled green flag over his / her head and open it slowly. After
displaying an open green flag for approximately five (5) seconds, the Starter will drop the
green flag. The group of cars will leave the starting line. In the case of a second group
of cars (split), the flagman will repeat the process; and again for every subsequent
group.
Once the green flag has been raised, and there is a need to abort the start, the Starter
will keep the flag in the air, and slowly furl it closed, then lower it in a slow motion with
the handle held vertically. This procedure should be done with care, as not to falsely
alert the driver to a start.

20.9 Light System Timed Start (split or not)
When applicable, there should be a three (3) yellow colored light system used. The
starter will light all three lights to indicate that the drivers should prepare for the start.
The starter will then turn off the lights one by one. The signal to start will be all lights off.
Should the light system fail the Race Director will order the start aborted. If the start is
aborted, the Starter (or other official) will wave a yellow flag at the field. Upon receiving
the yellow flag, the driver should prepare for a “Flagman Timed Start.”

Personally (and for Mitch and others my personal observations as a competitor should in no way be construed as an attempt to influence your own personal thoughts, learnings, or experiences and neither shall they be interpreted as an underhanded or otherwise intentioned attempt to dissuade you from posting your own thoughts and opinions that may differ from mine 8) :lol: ) I was pretty surprised when Clifton reminded me this past Sunday that this was in the CCR. Its interesting because I cant think of a single professional road racing class that uses either of these starting methods.

I'd love to hear your thoughts so we can compile for two purposes:
1) provide NASA Natl feedback and initiate discussion w/them as to why the CCR is like it is.
2) establish a consistent starting methodology for us that best fits what we like with what we can make happen via our starters

Todd Covini
03-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Everything we heard in our driver's meeting was..."When we see green, we go!"

Similarly, in Race Control there was a lot of discussion as to what color jacket Misty would wear to a) be visible and b) not confuse drivers.

My bright red jacket (no comments pls) was a concern because drivers could mistake it for a red flag....same went for a yellow rain jacket. (We went with Adrian's neutral bright blue coat.)

So, if we're concerned with erroneous distractions on the starting grid landscape, I agree that "slowly unfurling the green" can be a concern to send the hungry lions out of the gate too early.

AI#97
03-20-2009, 11:01 AM
any movement equals go... the way we did it this weekend, worked perfectly. I suggest that be the change to submit for a revision to the CCR. Hand in the air....any movement is a go. It also remains consistant with the rolling start proceedure as well.

Wirtz
03-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Agree with Matt. Good point in it aligning better to the rolling start procedures.

mitchntx
03-20-2009, 11:12 AM
initiate discussion w/them as to why the CCR is like it is.

For me, that hasn't worked too well in the past. Asking about "intent" or simply why seems to generate a canned response along the lines of "It is what it is" or "You just don't get it". The follow up question ... "What is 'it'?" then brings out the angry mob.

But, you go girl, and let us know how that works out.

8)

Todd Covini
03-20-2009, 12:42 PM
initiate discussion w/them as to why the CCR is like it is.

For me, that hasn't worked too well in the past. Asking about "intent" or simply why seems to generate a canned response along the lines of "It is what it is" or "You just don't get it". The follow up question ... "What is 'it'?" then brings out the angry mob.

But, you go girl, and let us know how that works out.

8)

:roll: :roll: :roll:

evarner
03-20-2009, 01:56 PM
As far back as I can remember, we've never had the flag person do it according to the CCR.

Remember Pavlov's Theory. You know.. automatic behavior can be manipulated. This is called conditioning. In this conditioning process, a unconditional stimulus is given to a person. This stimulus causes a reflex on its own.

Now, whenever there's any sign of green movement - Because of the repeated association of the unconditional and the conditional stimulus, the conditional stimulus will now cause the reflex on its own. In other words, there's no stopping it easily!! 8)

Maybe some tazers would be a cure.

Fbody383
03-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Maybe some tazers would be a cure.

Shock collar on the pole sitter; when they jump, you go.