PDA

View Full Version : Cody Powell possibly becoming a Texan! (shudder)

Cody Powell
03-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey my Texas AI/CMC brethern I am coming down to Austin on the 2nd of April to check it out for a possible new home.
I have a couple of questions. First it seems to be fairly central to most of the races, none to close and none to far, however are there any closer road courses that could be used for practice?
Second I am open to anywhere near a larger airport I know that none of you have any opinions :roll: but I am open to any suggestions on other places .
And lastly anything negative or that I should know about Austin would be appreciated!
Thanks Guys!

mitchntx
03-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Yer gonna have to lose the goofy accent ...

ShadowBolt
03-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Hey my Texas AI/CMC brethern I am coming down to Austin on the 2nd of April to check it out for a possible new home.
I have a couple of questions. First it seems to be fairly central to most of the races, none to close and none to far, however are there any closer road courses that could be used for practice?
Second I am open to anywhere near a larger airport I know that none of you have any opinions :roll: but I am open to any suggestions on other places .
And lastly anything negative or that I should know about Austin would be appreciated!
Thanks Guys!

I live in Georgetown and love it but I don't have to drive in Austin traffic. It's really bad! There is a track (Harris Hill) in San Marcos. I'm two hours from TWS and three and a half from MSRH, MSRC and ECR. Hallett is a haul (about seven hours). The thing I hate most about the Austin aera are the damn tree huggers.

JJ

Cody Powell
03-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Yer gonna have to lose the goofy accent ...
You think I talk funny you should hear those clowns from Nirth Dikuta!

Cody Powell
03-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks Guys!

I live in Georgetown and love it but I don't have to drive in Austin traffic. It's really bad! There is a track (Harris Hill) in San Marcos. I'm two hours from TWS and three and a half from MSRH, MSRC and ECR. Hallett is a haul (about seven hours). The thing I hate most about the Austin aera are the damn tree huggers.

JJ

When they grow up do they want to be Boulder? lol
Damn dirty Hippies! :shock:
Is Georgetown a suburb?
We are about 8 hours from Hallet here so it is a wash.
How far is that Harris Hill track from Austin?

ShadowBolt
03-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Georgetown is about eighteen miles north of Austin (on I35). I lived most of my life just south of here (Round Rock) but it's grown to much. Georgetown still has that small town feel. With the new toll roads you can be at the Austin airport in about twenty five minutes.

JJ

AI#97
03-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Austin, the hippy town San Fransisco WISHES it could be... I am still befuddled how the old school TEXAS folks haven't run off all the hippies and queers yet but I guess they have found a way to live in peace.

Honestly, DFW area is pretty good. We have TWO tracks within 1.5 hours and only 5 hours to houston, 3 hours to TWS and Harris Hill and only 4 hours or so from Hallett! It's also 3 hours closer to all the really cool tracks NOT in TX!!!! :lol:

Wirtz
03-22-2009, 08:49 PM
The central Texas area rocks. Been here for over 13 years and have been real happy. I'm in Round Rock which is north of Austin and closer than Georgetown. From my house I think it took me ~ 45 minutes to get to Harris Hill, even with the traffic. Which to be honest, is not all that bad. I guess it just depends on what your used to. I do make it a point to avoid downtown during typical rush hours just because I can. Heading north from Austin there is Pfluggerville, Round Rock, Georgetown. Not suburbs, but towns that have been growing together.

There is also a private track called the Driveway that some guys test at, but I have not been there yet. It's right near the Austin Airport.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jeff

mitchntx
03-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Just for the record, Granbury is the geocentric center of the universe.

Cody Powell
03-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks Matt I like the DFW I know that area a little bit and I will for sure check it out before I decide! Just getting started on this!

Hey Jeff I went to the Harris Hill website it looks cool, what is it like and is it purely member only?

Cody Powell
03-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Just for the record, Granbury is the geocentric center of the universe.

English please for the stupid carpenter?
Nevermind looked it up! :D
Mitch, the coolest guy I know!

Rob Liebbe
03-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Houston sucks, IMHO. Hurricanes, humidity, mosquitos and such. Airports are good which is why my company is located here. Can get to anywhere in the US on a 3 to 3 1/2 hour direct flight. Dallas and Houston have major airline hubs. Austin may involve connections to go on longer trips.

But don't let me discourage you. Ask Todd if he'd move back to Houston from Beaumont.

Personally, I'd rather be in North Texas.

An occasional long drive to a track should not keep you from finding the best place to live everyday.

jeffburch
03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi CP!
Are you coming to setup building houses?
General construction?

jb

Wirtz
03-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey Jeff I went to the Harris Hill website it looks cool, what is it like and is it purely member only?

No racing there yet. All membership driven. The guys running the place have been very cool. Here is a lap from a few weeks ago.

http://vimeo.com/3544417

Jeff

Todd Covini
03-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Houston's AWESOME!!! I'd move there in a heartbeat!
No major airports in Beaumont, so just another reason not to come here.
Like Liebbe says, decide what you want first.
The 6-10 track days aren't worth trying to find something central in the state.
Granbury was lookin' pretty cool a few weeks back, I'd consider that country living.

...but serious, Houston is the place if you want some land & square footage. Ask Al about garage-mahals. Let's face it, if you're going to be spending most of your time around the homestead, get a great one in Houston.

If you're more social and party the town...agreed...don't go to Houston and stay around Austin.

Let us know if you need anything....any reason you're coming on April 2nd and not on April 1st? :lol:

donovan
03-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Cody,

Corey Rueth and I are both in Austin, we are on the south side of town... Very close to Harris Hill... 15 minutes close!!!

It's a private member based track, but worth every penny! I spend lots of time there...

Being on the south end of town we don't have all the traffic the north guys have... I am only 11 miles from downtown Austin, at 7am I can get to 6th and Congress in about 20 minutes... I work with guys that live on the north side and it takes them twice as long to travel half the distance...

You would fit in better down here as well... ;-)

Look around in the Manchaca, Buda, Kyle, San Marcos areas...

DD

Todd Covini
03-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Cody,

You would fit in better down here as well... ;-)

DD

INTERPRETATION - "You're a crazy fruit like Corey, and this is where he lives."

Al Fernandez
03-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Central, north, south Texas...any of it is better than most other places outside of Texas 8)

Better bring your A game if you're going to race with this group of clowns full time! :D

AllZWay
03-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Central, north, south Texas...any of it is better than most other places outside of Texas 8)

Good that you interloplers noticed that. :P

BTW... NE Texas is pretty good too. Houston is a bad haul for me, but none are real close or too far.

ShadowBolt
03-23-2009, 12:19 PM
The Austin area is still kick-ass! I came here in grade school in the 60's and remember when there was around a hundred thousand people in Austin. From back in the 60's with no traffic to what we have now is why I say traffic is so bad. Good old days and all that crap. South Austin was Bubba land and most of the big money was North. That is no longer true today.

JJ

David Love AI27
03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
If I ever make enough to retire I'm moving to Dripping Springs...

For now, I'm tring to find the best spot at TWS for my camper...

BlueFirePony
03-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Personally, I'd rather be in North Texas.

If you do decide on DFW area, my house will be on the market in a week or so.<shameful plug>
It would be so cool to have another racer buy it :)

chris-CMC#35
03-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Sheesh Cody - you have a guy in your own damn region who lived in Texas for 10 years, in both Austin and Houston, and has driven all of the tracks there. (except for that go-kart track known as ECR...)

Come talk to me, you goof. These guys only know how to plug their own towns: it's what happens when you live in all that heat and humidity. :lol:

-chris

BlueFirePony
03-24-2009, 05:16 PM
These guys only know how to plug their own towns: it's what happens when you live in all that heat and humidity. :lol:
-chris
I've lived in Austin as well for several years, and driven all the tracks in Texas ('cept for Harris) and lived in Texas for 20 years and fished many of the lakes, and gotten tickets in most of the cities...but I am still pluggin' my house ;) For the right price I'll relocate it anywhere in Texas you want :D

AI#97
03-24-2009, 05:38 PM
(except for that go-kart track known as ECR...)

-chris

No Kart track....sequence of drag strips with short shutdown areas! ;)

Todd Covini
04-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Sooooo...gathering from Cody's Facebook page, he sorta liked Austin last weekend. :wink:

I say he's here by Round 5. (Dawg.)

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/14090/281066.jpg