PDA

View Full Version : CBP at TWS going on this weekend

ShadowBolt
03-29-2009, 03:32 PM
I think only Fords could attend. I know Rob, Chuck, Todd (and maybe Eric) were there. I don't know about the CMC2 drivers?

JJ

BryanL
03-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Jeremiah was going too.

ShadowBolt
03-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Jeremiah was going too.

I figured that. Just what I need.......Jeremiah getting practice. I wanted to go but have been under the weather this weekend.

JJ

rpoz27
03-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Was fun. My car runs again. :D

michaelmosty
03-29-2009, 08:01 PM
I heard Jeremiah lost his motor on Sat. :(

mitchntx
03-29-2009, 08:11 PM

Oh man ... I hate to hear that.

AllZWay
03-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Was fun. My car runs again. :D

Great news...

AllZWay
03-29-2009, 08:20 PM

Not so great news... this sux...

Todd Covini
03-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Great weekend...too many notes to take.
I'm still dizzy from all the track time.
4 run groups.
I instructed groups 1 & 2...then gave rides in groups 3 & 4.
No down time to speak of.
My assigned students for the weekend were in a warmed up GT500 and a stock M5. (I still love showing folks what half the power can do!)

Great mechanical weekend for me...no offs...not even 2 wheels...never checked air pressure...never popped the hood...ran flawless all weekend...burned up a used-but-good set of RA1's.

Bad weekend mentally for me...lots of silly mistakes, boo boos, gotchas...couple police pullovers/warnings, forgot a gas cap/washed Liebbe's nose and removed any bugs he had, passed under yellow and went to my paddock after a black flag all. I knew better.

Off the top of my head, the AI/CMC family present and accounted for were:

Covini (tons of track time, gave over 15 rides, and a few who expressed interest in the series)

Varner (visited for a little track time)

Liebbe (gettin' faster all the time)

Penny (rec'd a ton of instruction, rides with Covini, Manor, Liebbe, Sharp, and then had many folks run with him. Look for Chuck to make a step-change in speed at the next event.)

MFW (loud motor bastard, swapping RA1's and 888's and getting back to back analysis so he can back up his tire bitchin' :-)

Jeremiah - (sportin' a shaved head and a blown motor. rod thru the pan early on Saturday. Bummer, and hope he can make in 3 weeks.)

Frank Robertson - (runnin' strong, getting ready for his enduro. MFW got some seat time and some comparisons to help with the effort.

David Love - (Great job of speaking at the driver's meeting on behalf of TWS track maintenance about off track excursions, recent history. Turned a smokin' 1:56.xxx in Misty's car.)

Misty - (Car runnin' good and ever-present, just never with Misty in it. This girl is the next up and coming race-control expert...2 radios and a lot of hustle!)

Chris Lyons - AI car's still waiting for a tranny but the AMG Mercedes did just fine, especially on the lunchtime oval laps with techno dance bass thumpin'! Great to see the Lemons Mustang getting some use as a trainee car!

Bud Sharp - Chris's former team-mate and track whore extraordinaire...Fox really workin' well, and man that guy has a bad-ass truck!

The Painters - Richard and his son were out getting some laps. Richard in his AI car and his son getting some experience in the Lemon.

John George - 2 time AI champ sounded great in the Chicane23 car. "Covini Corner" got the best of him and took off the splitter/nose after outrunning a Vette on Saturday. Nice job of making it an off/on, but still suffered a flat tire and a vaporized nose. Hope he can put it back together for the 45th Mustang Barber event in time!

Wayne Manor - CMC38 runnin' strong. Covini/Liebbe/Manor (and others) all exchanging cars and critiqueing driving styles and car setups. Wayne's one fast driver...I couldn't catch my own car with Wayne at the wheel and me in his....and he had a passenger!

David Armstrong - AIX champion, now Vette driver extraordinaire. Closing speeds from his car to our CMC cars on the front straight was downright INSANE. Now you don't see him....now you do.

Gary Hood - Dude....if it weren't for bad luck, he wouldn't have any this week. He can elaborate, but I've never met anyone who broke on the lunchtime parade lap....after a week of other mech. thrashes. It can only get better from here! Rearend, carb, caliper pin, caliper bracket, etc. etc.

Joe Johnson - Had the Cobra R' out for another event. More motor and maybe a bit louder than MFW. Great to see Joe again.

I'm sure I'm missing a few folks but it was a great, low key weekend! Wish you guys were there...it's not just for Ford guys, anymore!
Some serious machinery out there...twin turbo Saleen...supercharged ACR Viper...Nissan GTR...Holden Monaro...etc. etc

-=- Todd

AI#97
03-29-2009, 10:14 PM
you are all safe....for April! We were running CW all weekend....so no cheatin' bastich practice.

I will say this much, two weekends in a row testing R888's and RA1's back to back was tiring and VERY disappointing. Worst part is the DAQ didn't record anything all weekend. :evil: damn wrong type SD card stuff I guess. Either way I can tell you that the RA1's were easily 2 seconds faster...especially after 4 laps.

Anyway, fun weekend....just needed more beer!

David Love AI27
03-30-2009, 12:56 AM
so..... I work on Misti's car and see ABS stamped on the brake pedal.... :D

1st session out I run a couple of warmup laps, get a great run through 12, come flying into 11 brake (hard) and..... the fronts howl and smoke fills the car... :shock: I finish the session, pull in and tell Misti "the ABS isn't working!?!?" reply: "It doesn't have ABS"

LESSON: Don't always believe what you read :oops:

OH... and my first car with downforce...

Thanks Misti for the courage to let me drive.... :shock:

oh and Misti needs track tires... the ones on the car right now are square

mitchntx
03-30-2009, 04:10 AM
Either way I can tell you that the RA1's were easily 2 seconds faster...especially after 4 laps.

And the only thing you changed was tires and air pressures, right?

No suspension or driving style changes?

ShadowBolt
03-30-2009, 07:34 AM
"Jeremiah - (sportin' a shaved head and a blown motor. rod thru the pan early on Saturday. Bummer, and hope he can make in 3 weeks.)"

Did this happen in turn two? Jay blew his mod motor up at TWS going C/W in turn two. We normally overfilled the oil by at least a half quart. We forgot at this event. Don't know if that was the issue but centrifugal force is a bitch in turn two going C/W, you are in it forever. Will the Canton pan be enough to control this and would you run even it over full?

JJ

BSharp
03-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Ummmm, really? Bud Schwartz?

rpoz27
03-30-2009, 07:44 AM

1st session out I run a couple of warmup laps, get a great run through 12, come flying into 11 brake (hard) and..... the fronts howl and smoke fills the car... :shock: I finish the session, pull in and tell Misti "the ABS isn't working!?!?" reply: "It doesn't have ABS"

LESSON: Don't always believe what you read :oops:

OH... and my first car with downforce...

Thanks Misti for the courage to let me drive.... :shock:

oh and Misti needs track tires... the ones on the car right now are square

Heh-heh. I heard you lock 'em up and saw the smoke. Figured what happened. Glad you had fun.

cjlmlml
03-30-2009, 07:57 AM

Edited the last name, Todd thought you took Daves name when you had your commitment ceremony.

BSharp
03-30-2009, 08:00 AM

Edited the last name, Todd thought you took Daves name when you had your commitment ceremony.

You did look good as a brides maid...

AI#97
03-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Either way I can tell you that the RA1's were easily 2 seconds faster...especially after 4 laps.

No. Same rims, same springs. I did drive Frank's car on 888's with lighter wheels and different spring rates but was only going 8/10ths to familiarize with the car. Still got the same feel though.

I made a couple camber changes on the R888's to match temps across the tire, got very even wear, maybe a little more on the edges on the front, but never even touched the inside 1.5" on the rear tires. :? Was going to have to add a lot of rear bar but couldn't go any stiffer with what I had on the car. Tire pressures were nearly the same and could have gone lower than the RA1's in search for front grip which was nearly non-existant. There was an 5mph difference in exit speed from T1 onto the straight with the RA1's...from the DAQ display on the dash. I got so tired of the 888's I stopped running them and threw the RA1's back on so I could enjoy the weekend. As for driving style....well, tire management throughout the race is going to be key, especially for the CMC crowd, maybe even more so for AI because you just can't keep these damn things cool. you CAN back out of them a little bit and bring them back slightly, but start pushing again and they are toast.

I would suggest to the CMC/2 crowd that are used to driving the piss out of a set of RA1's at 11/10ths during the entire race that you are definitely going to have to not beat on these tires...they are going to go away quickly and your ability to remain consistant and pull of a late race move are going to be greatly diminished. Please beware so as to prevent mistakes and contact.

I do think I am going to try some different sizes/wheels to see if there is any quantifiable differences but funding is going to hinder that. However, to sum it all up, these tires aren't an improvement so Toyo must be smoking some bad hash!

ShadowBolt
03-30-2009, 09:28 AM
bad hash?

michaelmosty
03-30-2009, 10:22 AM

That is hilarious! :lol:

It sounds like it was a mini-AI/CMC event with all the participants. I'm glad it wasn't CCW so ya'll couldn't get any CBP.

I hope Matt and Frank got some good practice b/c Marshall and I are going to whoop you ass in the Enduro! :twisted:

Rob Liebbe
03-30-2009, 11:32 AM
It sounds like it was a mini-AI/CMC event with all the participants. I'm glad it wasn't CCW so ya'll couldn't get any CBP.

It's ok - I don't need the practice at TWS. :wink:

Oh and learn to spell y'all!!!!! :roll:

AI#97
03-30-2009, 12:20 PM
I hope Matt and Frank got some good practice b/c Marshall and I are going to whoop you ass in the Enduro! :twisted:

<---Not worried. Frank's car was as easy to drive as the lemon. should be no problem doing 2 to 3 hours stints. I have a couple 1000 laps going CCW so no worries....and with the aero on the car, I won't be doing any Ernesto's!

Todd Covini
03-30-2009, 01:16 PM

:oops: :oops: :oops: How many times have I made that mistake, Bud? 5? 10? So sorry, but I met you and David many, many years ago at the same time and now your last names seem to be indelibly swapped in my warped mind.

Bud Sharp
David Schwartz

Got it. Will try to keep it straight.... :!:

cjlmlml
03-30-2009, 03:18 PM
http://www.cafe-pics.com

Todd Covini
03-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Thin to win RA1's and full tread 888's helped the spread a little bit too.

AI#97
03-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Thin to win RA1's and full tread 888's helped the spread a little bit too.

Actually, according to Toyo....the R888's are better as tested. I will be doing DA on this set at cresson events to track their speed through the life of the tire too. So far, they aren't getting any faster with age.

Rob Liebbe
03-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Yeah, Yeah. Me and Dad's Lexus. Just like high school!!!!

Hood
03-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Gary Hood - Dude....if it weren't for bad luck, he wouldn't have any this week. He can elaborate, but I've never met anyone who broke on the lunchtime parade lap....after a week of other mech. thrashes. It can only get better from here! Rearend, carb, caliper pin, caliper bracket, etc. etc.
-=- Todd

I guess I can elaborate on the details of hell week in my world.

A lot of you knew that I was getting some noise from the rearend at Cresson. After the race weekend I had a lot of other things to do before I could get to diagnosing the problem so the car sat for a week. This delay is part of a self inflicted sleep deprivation week to follow.

I removed the diff cover to find about a 1/4" of finely sintered pinion bearing material in the bottom of the diff. Oh... and the fact that this was a Borg Warner with welded spider gears may have contributed to my dismay. Also, upon removing the bearing caps, one of the bolts brought the threads out with it. CRAP!!!!

Ok... I have another Borg Warner rearend in my CP car sitting in a field behind a friend's house in Bryan. I load up the necessary tools, generator and lights on the trailer and head to Bryan after work Wednesaday night. I'm driving over on hwy 105 from Conroe when the rain starts. As I get into Montgomery the HEAVY SIDEWAYS rain starts. We're creeping along at 5-10mph, not being able to see more than 20 feet in front of the truck (think Niagra falls type of torential downpour) and I'm trying to find a local radio station to see what't up with the weather and discover that I'm in the middle of a tornado. It was so dark that I never actually saw the funnel cloud but felt the effects of 70mph or better winds trying to shove the truck around. Trees are bent or broken in half. Debris blowing sideways past the windshield and I'm having second thoughts about crawling under a car in an open field...

Weather service said that this thing was moving SE and the further I went towards Bryan the better the sky started looking. By the time I got to Navasota, I was encountering clear skies and diminishing winds. The thing that I didn't count on was that the ground was soaked and I was unable to get the trailer back to where the car was. I found an alternate route but could only get the truck through so I left the trailer out on the side of the street (mind that we're talking about VERY RURAL Bryan, Tx). I get the generator going and the work lights set up and start the process of rearend removal. During this, I saw a car moving slowly up the street past the trailer. Thought nothing of it as it was only going to be there for an hour or so and I was only 200 feet from the road, generator making noise and floods beaming. I finally get the rearend loaded onto the tailgate with the generator and drive back to where the trailer... WAS! Yep! It was gone! I called 911 to get the Sheriff out. When asked for the address I got a pause and then the operator came back with... "Uh... that trailer was towed by the Sheriff's dept." Well, thank God that it wasn't stolen but then came the mixed emotion of confusion and anger. The street that the trailer was on was not a heavy traffic street. As a matter of fact hardly anyone lives down this particular 'road'. What are the odds that the Sheriff (the slow moving car from earlier) that rarely patrols this area, was there at that precise time and didn't bother to ask if it was mine (remember the generator and flood lights in the middle of a pitch black field 200 ft from the road... CAN'T miss it) and had the thing towed within the 1.5 hours that I was there? Maybe I should play the lotto this week... Anyway, $208 and an hour later I was back in possession of my trailer.

Play hooky from work on Thursday to be able to sleep a little and endure the 3.5 hr trip to Garland to pick up the 'new to me' motorhome. Got back about 2 am Friday morning and have to be up in 3 hrs. to go to work. I start working on the car around 11pm Friday night and get the rearend done by 2:30am. I have to check the front brakes as the pads were getting low at Cresson. Yep, need to change those. I go ahead and change out the rotors too (might as well save the race legal rotors) and this takes us to 4am. As I'm tryin to start the car to load it on the trailer it coughs and dies and won't restart. Sudden smell of fuel indicates a possible stuck float or needle. I pull off the rear float bowl and verify that everything seems ok and reassemble it. Start the car... same thing happens... fuel boiling out of the vent tube. Damn... pull it apart again to make sure the vent whistle didn't force the float down and reassemble. Same thing happens 5 times before I finally am about to give up when I remember that I have another carb sitting in a box. On a whim I unscrew the needle and seat from the other carb and throw it in the one on the car. Voila! Fixed! It turns out that upon very close inspection that the o-ring on the needle and seat assy had hardened and was allowing fuel past. Now we're at 5:45 am after loading the car and just getting into the shower to prepare for the TWS weekend.

Parade lap #2 first day... I was doing a bit of spirited accel-decel into the slow back section when I hear a bang, bang, bang when the brakes are applied and then the right front locks and the car won't move. I try reverse and it moves so I try first again and we're rolling. I park safely and get out to discover a flat RF. Hmmm... curious way to have a flat... never felt a bang like that before. Get the wheel off to discover a huge score and a large crack in the wheel. One caliper bolt was missing allowing the caliper to jam into the wheel on brake application. The only thing that I can think of was that I missed torquing these bolts in my sleep deprived, stressed out state. Anyway, Bud Sharp (not Schwartz) :D came to my rescue with a PBR caliper bracket and saved my weekend from total disaster. THANK YOU!!!

After all that happened, a few laps into my first full session (last session on Saturday) everything sort of faded from memory and I thoroughly enjoyed being out on the track. It was worth all the thrashing and cursing to be out there following Rob and Bud around and taking notes... hehehe.

David Love AI27
03-30-2009, 07:09 PM
I honestly hate to say this, but I think Hood caught the LiiR vodoo cuz since I met him his shit as gone to shit and my shit smells like roses... sorry Gary, please pass the vodoo on to someone else... I don't want it back.....

Rob Liebbe
03-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Please pass it to Wirtz, Burch, Mosty, or Glenn. Thanks.

ShadowBolt
03-30-2009, 08:19 PM

Or Proctor, Al, or Mitch.

JJ

mitchntx
03-30-2009, 08:24 PM

or Mitch.

JJ

Look at the season points ... I'm a mid pack guy.

GlennCMC70
03-30-2009, 08:30 PM
i got it back on March 13th when i got laid off. give it to Wirtz.

ShadowBolt
03-30-2009, 08:39 PM

or Mitch.

JJ

Look at the season points ... I'm a mid pack guy.

Except on inverts I'm trying to catch up to you most of the time.

JJ

AllZWay
03-31-2009, 08:48 AM
I don't want it... I have to work like a dog to keep my crap going as it is. :evil:

Jeremy Gunter
03-31-2009, 07:20 PM
My car still isn't running... But I hope I don't have the voodoo..

BryanL
03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Soooo??
Misty-what fixed your car?
Jeremiah-you gonna make TWS? Great-now you are probably getting a stroker motor like Jerry.
Gary-that story is amazing.

But what about any lap times?

jeremiahkellam
03-31-2009, 09:06 PM
A stroker in 2 weeks?? I don't think so!

I might just have to pull out the #1 and #5 pistons and run on 6 cylinders...that and a gallon bucket of JB Weld...

David Love AI27
03-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Soooo??

It appears that the filter between the tank and pump may have been too small and was cavitating...

sweet ride... still smiling

AI#97
03-31-2009, 09:19 PM

I might just have to pull out the #1 and #5 pistons and run on 6 cylinders...that and a gallon bucket of JB Weld...

Hopefully the heads are OK. sounds like you already have it out and apart...?!

ShadowBolt
03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Soooo??
Jeremiah-you gonna make TWS? Great-now you are probably getting a stroker motor like Jerry.

When exactly did I get a stroker motor? Is it a 331 or 347?

JJ

mitchntx
03-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Soooo??

When exactly did I get a stroker motor? Is it a 331 or 347?

JJ

It has legs like a 427 side oiler ... (let's see how many know WTF I'm talking about) 8)

rpoz27
03-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Soooo??

It appears that the filter between the tank and pump may have been too small and was cavitating...

Apparently the Camaro wanted 9 inches.
http://www.krcracing.com/images/KRC-4928.gif

Size does matter.

GlennCMC70
03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
:shock:

Todd Covini
03-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Misty..stop...you're going to scare Michael. :lol:

jeremiahkellam
03-31-2009, 09:31 PM

The heads are fine, bent a couple of valves and rods. Problem now is motivating the engine builder.

Rob Liebbe
03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
It has legs like a 427 side oiler ... (let's see how many know WTF I'm talking about) 8)

I do - I'm old.

AI#97
03-31-2009, 10:46 PM

You guys are already too late with the jokes! She was using hand gestures to desribe it this weekend and told her to be careful of what folks were standing around as they might get the wrong idea! ;)

AI#97
03-31-2009, 10:47 PM

The heads are fine, bent a couple of valves and rods. Problem now is motivating the engine builder.

did you take that explorer block apart? should have just stuffed it in as it was!

CORN
03-31-2009, 11:42 PM

http://www.corndesignsphotography.com/temp/aintskeered.jpg

AllZWay
04-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Soooo??

Size does matter.

:lol: :shock:

David Love AI27
04-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Soooo??

Size does matter.

I seem to remember it being black... big and black... and when I had my hands around it I thought "hope it fits"... but I was gentle and with a little effort it went in nicely... Misti might as well throw the small filter away, not sure the car will ever take a small one again... :shock:

David Love AI27
04-01-2009, 08:18 AM

http://www.corndesignsphotography.com/temp/aintskeered.jpg

ROFLMFAO...

thats it!!!... the black one!!!...

michaelmosty
04-01-2009, 09:19 AM
How did I get thrown into the mix?? :roll:

Jeremy Gunter
04-01-2009, 06:39 PM
real simple budy, you dressed like this after the movie broke back mountain came out... and they were talking about camaro's needing 9in of black petcocks...I mean fuel filters...