PDA

View Full Version : Rule of the Day - Ballast

Todd Covini
04-02-2009, 10:26 AM
American Iron Rule 7.5 Ballast
Ballast can be added in order to meet the power to weight ratio of the American Iron class. Ballast may be
placed in any location provided it is securely fastened and approved by NASA tech and safety officials.
Any ballast mounted inside the vehicle may not be taller than three inches or stacked higher than three
inches. No more than 150 lbs. of ballast may be added to the vehicle. Ballast shall be defined as material
that serves no other purpose than adding weight. The weight of the ballast shall be clearly marked on the
ballast itself.

Camaro-Mustang Challenge Rule 7.7 Ballast
Ballast Up to 150lbs of ballast is allowed, but no further rearward than the plane of the front of the main hoop of the roll cage. Each ballast piece may not be taller than three inches or stacked higher than three inches. Ballast must be securely fastened and approved by NASA tech/safety officials.

marshall_mosty
04-02-2009, 11:46 AM
What if I have three 50 lb plates stacked together to create a 3" tall stack. Each weight has markings on top of each weight, but the bottom two don't have visible markings? Do I need markings on the side also?

GlennCMC70
04-02-2009, 01:46 PM
i would mark it. it would be a bitch to have to pull it just to show its marked on the top where you cant see it. i used a sharpie.

Todd Covini
04-02-2009, 03:40 PM
I added the CMC Ballast rule above to compare & contrast.
2 birds with one heavily weighted stone.

jeffburch
04-02-2009, 04:18 PM
I will propose a change in the cmc rule above.
The difference between a Fox and a Camaro on the tables is 100lbs correct?
I think that 100lbs should be able to go where you wish.
The other 50 stay where it's presently stated.

In other words, weight added to get to the minimum is different that this magic 100 that is the difference in the platforms on the weight vs hp/tq table.

jb

AI#97
04-02-2009, 05:09 PM
so Al telling me that my ballast actually had to read "ballast" on it during my annual is not necessary?....not that I am going to need it anytime soon anyway....but just wanted to know.

BlueFirePony
04-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I just made my car # the same as the amount of extra weight I am carrying. #3529 total...If I can drop #404 I might actually be competitive @ #3125 w/o having to mess with the engine. hmmmm