PDA

View Full Version : looking for a winch

ShadowBolt
05-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Anyone have a winch they want to let go cheap? I don't want to spend four or five hundred dollars unless I have to. I want a winch for loading and unloading the race car when I'm by myself. I know so little about a winch that I thought the one I got from Mitch (ATV winch) would do it. I thought since it was rolling that a 2000lb. winch would do it. I tried it yesterday and it won't cut it. I was told I need a 3 H/P 6000 lb. winch to do what I'm wanting to do. If anyone has one they need to get rid of let me know. If it's half the cost of qa new one I will go that way instead.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
05-26-2009, 02:54 PM
I depends on how steep your ramps are.

MFW does it with a 1500 lb winch and has only "smoked" it once.

Check your local Tractor Supply Store, they have a variety of them at different cost points and capacities. I was thinking of a 2,000 lb or more for mine.

Wirtz, what do you have?

Wirtz
05-26-2009, 03:36 PM
I'll need to crawl under my trailer to check the capacity. Mine works ok, maybe a little borderline, but it is very handy to have in my opinion. I guess I could always add a pulley block to increase it's load capacity....

Some thoughts on a winch;
- mine has a cabled remote that can be unpluged from a jack at the back of the trailer. This works great for single person loading.
- it would be better to have a charger for the battery in the trailer. Mine does not and I pull the battery out after each use to recharge it.
- keep things out of sight if possible. My setup is under the trailer deck. I've known of a few that have had things like a winch stolen off their trailer when it is sitting out.

jeffburch
05-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Low voltage results in high current.
A low battery or poor connection would kill one I would think.
jb

David Love AI27
05-26-2009, 04:59 PM
I use a 1 manpower high ratio ratio boat winch... gotta turn it a bunch... but then again I don't use it much..

GlennCMC70
05-26-2009, 05:00 PM
i have the Warn 3700.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200365328_200365328

i didnt pay $400 for it though. cant remember. i thought it was $200. i did get it from Northern. Mitch has the same one. i havent had any issues w/ mine. i dontthink Mitch has either. if your using the one Mitch i think Mitch gave you, i have the same one. its total crap. we bought them to use in case we broke the car.
the rank angle will make a huge difference in what size winch you will need.

GlennCMC70
05-26-2009, 05:07 PM
nice read here.
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/images/ebay/whichwinch.pdf

AI#97
05-26-2009, 05:21 PM
I am using a warn 1700lb winch I got at tractor supply with the wired remote. Was $129. It works OK. It is getting a little weak but keep in mind my car weighs a good bit less than Jerry's car.

Instead of installing a battery, I ran a good set of jumper cables from the truck battery to the hitch and installed one of warn's "big ass" connectors to power the winch. Works great, no battery to charge and gets the job done. As wirtz said, a snatch block could go 2:1 purchase and yank a tank up the trailer, it would just be slow.

Jeremy Gunter
05-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Jerry Call me 214-636-2212 at night please and I can give you some info on one I got.