PDA

View Full Version : Sad news

RichardP
06-20-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm guessing some here knew local SCCA driver Tom Thrash.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/365639/ShowThread.aspx#365639

Be safe out there...

Richard P.

Jeremy Gunter
06-20-2009, 09:56 PM
I think I met this guy at Longhorn Racing during the Lemons event. He seemed like a great guy!

David Love AI27
06-21-2009, 12:51 AM
I pulled a Tom Thrash from his car after he was "pushed out" at TWS T1. He tried to catch the car and was sideways when he reached the ditch. The car rolled a couple of times and came to a stop on the drivers side. By the time I got to the car from 1 high he was already climbing out of the car through the pass. window. I asked him to stay still till the EVs got there and he told me "get me out of here, NOW!!!".

I know it was the elder of 2 Toms but I don't know how many generations had the same name. I talked to both father and son many times at the track. What a shame, I hope they publish the findings so we can learn from the incident.

AllZWay
06-21-2009, 08:38 AM
That is horrible news. :(

Todd Covini
06-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Read the story in the Houston Chronicle this AM. Very sad...and very odd. What little details they provided "left the track before the turn"...single car accident...it may have been due to natural causes (heart attack) similar to the Continental pilot last week.

For him and his family, hope that was the case....Godspeed, Mr. Thrash.

jeffburch
06-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Heart attack is how my Pops went on the track in '94.

jb

rpoz27
06-21-2009, 09:59 PM
I think I met this guy at Longhorn Racing during the Lemons event. He seemed like a great guy!

You probably did and he was a great guy and quite a character. Rest in peace, Tommy!

Hood
06-22-2009, 07:34 AM
I knew Tom from way back in TAMSCC auto-x days. He attended several of our Aggiecross events at TWS. He was driving a spec RX-7 the last time I talked to him (several years ago) and was at the last TAMSCC reunion event at TWS last year.

Rest in Peace, Tom...

His family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Al Fernandez
06-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Life is short, so be thankful for what you've got and enjoy every bit of it.

RIP Tom.

AI#97
06-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Heart attack is how my Pops went on the track in '94.

jb

RIP fellow gear head.

I would note to all those that instruct as well, I recently sent a student packing and he has now been banned from our events due to health problems. Be VERY aware of how your students are fairing during the day, especially during the Summer. This student had a heart condition and would not admit it. I honestly thought he was going to die behind the wheel with me as a passenger for the ride....in a Nissan GTR none the less. Don't let it happen to you and do NOT be afraid to park someone for your safety.

I would like to know the findings of this accident so we can all benefit from it.

Hood
06-23-2009, 07:51 AM
I have information on the funeral for Tom.

They will have a "Viewing" at the funeral home on Friday from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. They are at the Memorial Oaks Funeral Home. It is located close to the intersection of I10 and Eldridge.

The funeral will also be at the Memorial Oaks Funeral Home on Saturday at 10:00am.