PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions??

jeremiahkellam
07-19-2009, 03:42 PM
I was changing the oil on my new engine for the first time today. The rear plug had the normal metal "powder" you would expect. The front plug had the same, but it also had what you see below. I cut the filter open and it looked normal. I was planning on taking the car to dyno tomorrow, are the pieces normal or should I be worried?? I will be taking those pieces to the machine shop first thing in the morning.

the scale is mm

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2476/3736588364_9f36474091.jpg

AI#97
07-19-2009, 05:19 PM
did this motor shell itself prior to rebuild...? If so, these could be parts of that explosion.

Ask Patrick Lindsay about cleaning a motor or complete oiling system after cratering a motor.

My list of things that get replaced when one blows up are:

Flush all the oil lines or replace entirely. Throw the old oil cooler in the trash, buy a new one.

trash old oil pump, new lifters and clean/check anything that would have come in contact with the compromised oil system....

What's funny is I have NEVER had anything other than minutely fine particles ever show in my oil on any motor I have had....except my Cobra that shelled a main bearing....I found what looked like 2lbs of cat hair in the oil pickup screen... :evil:

jeremiahkellam
07-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Everything was replaced. These pieces actually look like thick shavings, from the boring maybe?? A machine shop did all the work. I took them the motor complete from lower intake to oil pan. Motor was disassembled, hot tanked to clean, inspected, bored, balanced, new oil pan pan, pump, pickup, pistons, basically everything other than block, crank and con rods was replaced

Chuck
07-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Those parts are larger than I would like to see in a new motor. If those got past the oil pump screen, they could lock the pump or break the pump drive shaft. I would run the engine a short period of time and check the oil again.

Did the machine shop offer any advise?

Chuck
CMC#14

AI#97
07-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Everything was replaced. These pieces actually look like thick shavings, from the boring maybe?? A machine shop did all the work. I took them the motor complete from lower intake to oil pan. Motor was disassembled, hot tanked to clean, inspected, bored, balanced, new oil pan pan, pump, pickup, pistons, basically everything other than block, crank and con rods was replaced

If those truly are shavings from a bore job or other clearancing for a stroker crank.. ;) I would change engine builders. They didn't clean out the block very well at all.