PDA

View Full Version : WTB 10th Anniversary Cobra Wheels...

gt40
08-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Let me know what color you have.

Rsmith350
08-05-2009, 04:47 PM
If you can't find the right color.....there's always powdercoating......I know a really good one :shock: :roll:

gt40
08-05-2009, 05:11 PM
If you can't find the right color.....there's always powdercoating......I know a really good one :shock: :roll:I'd rather not powdercoat aluminum wheels if I can avoid it.

David Love AI27
08-05-2009, 05:11 PM
If you can't find the right color.....there's always powdercoating......I know a really good one :shock: :roll:

send me a quote to do the centers of a set of GTAs. I wanna to the centers in Neon green and leave the rims silver. Will it mess up the clearcoat? you can pm me with the quote.

marshall_mosty
08-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I'd rather not powdercoat aluminum wheels if I can avoid it.Why Robert? For most powdercoating, the part is only subjected to approx 425 degrees part metal temperature for typically 15-20 minutes. That won't be enough time to significantly reduce the strength of the aluminum alloy.

The vast majority of visible metallic portions of aircraft seats (the industry I'm in) are powdercoated. And they take one hell of an impact during our deceleration sled tests. (Basically 44mph to zero in a 120 millisecond pulse generating 16G).

If you want to see the stress/strain curves for aluminum alloys at elevated temperature vs time, let me know and I'll see if I can dig them up.

marshall_mosty
08-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Send me a quote to do the centers of a set of GTAs. I wanna to the centers in Neon green and leave the rims silver. Will it mess up the clearcoat? you can pm me with the quote.David, you can have the PC shop mask any areas that you don't want the powder to cover.

Rsmith350
08-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I'd rather not powdercoat aluminum wheels if I can avoid it.Why Robert? For most powdercoating, the part is only subjected to approx 425 degrees part metal temperature for typically 15-20 minutes. That won't be enough time to significantly reduce the strength of the aluminum alloy.

The vast majority of visible metallic portions of aircraft seats (the industry I'm in) are powdercoated. And they take one hell of an impact during our deceleration sled tests. (Basically 44mph to zero in a 120 millisecond pulse generating 16G).

If you want to see the stress/strain curves for aluminum alloys at elevated temperature vs time, let me know and I'll see if I can dig them up.

Thanks for the comparison marshall! I'm actually the powder coater. that's some great info to tell my customers.

Jeremy Gunter
08-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Rossco, Maybe you could show that data to your uneducated customers... I had the same view on powdercoating alum. for years...

Rsmith350
08-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Rossco, Maybe you could show that data to your uneducated customers... I had the same view on powdercoating alum. for years...

Yeah...that's some good stuff. What most people don't know is that the vast majority of the wheels you see are powder coated (at least on newer vehicles) Thanks again Marshall!

AI#97
08-05-2009, 11:09 PM
If you can't find the right color.....there's always powdercoating......I know a really good one :shock: :roll:I'd rather not powdercoat aluminum wheels if I can avoid it.

Robert....quit reading that stupid shit on Corner Carvers. Those ninnies could turn a hot tub full of naked supermodels into a "OMG don't do that!" scenario...

Powder coating is a one time gradual "heat cycle"..... I would be more afraid of ever bolting them onto a race car with a 1200 degree brake rotor "heat cycling" the wheel 5 times a day.... :roll:

AllZWay
08-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Robert....quit reading that stupid shit on Corner Carvers. Those ninnies could turn a hot tub full of naked supermodels into a "OMG don't do that!" scenario...

Ain't that the truth. :lol:

gt40
08-06-2009, 08:58 AM

It's not just that. Powder coating adds to the cost, too. If I can find the right wheels (and I think I have over on ffcobras.com,) so much the better.

RichardP
08-06-2009, 09:57 AM
quit reading that stupid shit on Corner Carvers.

For those who prefer to read information on a topic and then decide for themselves:

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5368&highlight=powder+coated+wheels

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17498&highlight=powder+coat

My summary:
Powder coated wheels look good.
Lots of people are using powder coated wheels without issue.
Powder coating temperatures are well within heat treating temperatures for aluminum alloys.
“Properly” done powder coating shouldn’t “significantly” affect the strength of the wheel.
Actual effect of powder coating almost impossible to determine because of the complexities and the unknown variables.
There appears to be an increase in wheel failures after powder coating.
Failure of a wheel on track can lead to bad things…

Richard P.

gt40
08-06-2009, 10:01 AM
You left off that powder coating's more durable finish can hide cracks in the base metal.

RichardP
08-06-2009, 10:05 AM
You left off that powder coating's more durable finish can hide cracks in the base metal.

If I thought people inspected their equipment at a frequency that would catch a crack before it became a failure, I would have included this. Mostly people have a failure and then go looking for cracks in other similar areas...

Richard P.

David Love AI27
08-06-2009, 10:10 AM

If I thought people inspected their equipment at a frequency that would catch a crack before it became a failure, I would have included this. Mostly people have a failure and then go looking for cracks in other similar areas...

Richard P.

I resemble that remark...

gt40
08-06-2009, 10:34 AM

If I thought people inspected their equipment at a frequency that would catch a crack before it became a failure, I would have included this. Mostly people have a failure and then go looking for cracks in other similar areas...Sadly true, though at the very leasst, I look mine over whenever the wheels are off the car (which, lately, has been way too often.)

I did notice one fairly large crack in one wheel last Sunday... :roll:

cobra132
08-06-2009, 04:01 PM
I have 8 10th an cobra wheels 17x9. What are you looking for? FMR

gt40
08-06-2009, 09:19 PM
I have 8 10th an cobra wheels 17x9. What are you looking for? FMRIdeally, one silver 10th anniversary wheel, though I would be interested in more later if/when the racing budget can afford luxuries like spares.

MikeP99Z
08-12-2009, 11:34 PM
These the ones?

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30125

gt40
08-13-2009, 10:16 AM
These the ones?

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30125Nope -- those are Cobra R's. Thanks for keeping your eyes open, though.