PDA

View Full Version : Parts Store Chain Preference

Todd Covini
08-11-2009, 12:07 AM
OK...there are a handful of auto parts stores on city corners. We all have our mail order preference to get "just the right part/brand", however, which store do you go to when you just need that special part now?

I've found myself going to O'Reily's because they have Wix oil filters, but lately have found that Autozone's Duralast brand has been pretty good for generic parts.

Where do you go??? Which autoparts store has the best "house brand"?

David Love AI27
08-11-2009, 12:32 AM
I usually shop at Autozone mainly due to their warranty and their computer tracking of parts you purchased. However, for race car parts I prefer the quality of NAPA plus I have been able to lookup parts in print instead of relying on just the computer. I voted for NAPA

edrock96GT
08-11-2009, 12:42 AM
As much as I talk sh*t about Auto Zone for their lack of technical expertise (at UTI, our instructors' running motivational threat was to "pay attention, or you'll end up working at Auto Zone"), I've gone there a lot for random little things I need.

Napa is the only one I've found that carries the spark plugs I like to use though and there is an O'Reilly's a block from my house that I go to when I'm in the middle of something and in a hurry.

marshall_mosty
08-11-2009, 06:22 AM
I've found that O'Reileys seems to have more knowedgeable people if I'm trying to find something that isn't just "off the shelf". Quality between AutoZone and O'Reileys seems to be pretty even. However, I've purchased all my warrantied race car stuff from O'Reileys so I can "one stop shop" for replacements.

The only thing that I know that O'Reileys has the market on quality wise is fuel pumps. I killed three AutoZone pumps in a single season a few year back (the veterans will remember... :x ). The original O'Reileys pump is still going strong.

Alien
08-11-2009, 07:13 AM
I find NAPA and O'Reilys usually have people who know their stuff. Unfortunately, there isn't a NAPA real close to me, so that leaves O'Reilys. Closest to me is AutoZone and Advanced which I use for lots of little non-critical things.

When I rebuilt Knocker's motor the first time, price wise, I found NAPA a bit cheaper for stuff like the water pump and O'Reilys cheaper for the electrical stuff like dist and coil etc. NAPA in College Station did have the better looking delivery drivers tho. :D

FYI, NAPA Gold oil filters are relabeled Wix filters.

Hood
08-11-2009, 07:53 AM
NAPA in College Station did have the better looking delivery drivers tho. :D

Man you aren't kidding! I know the owner (used to work for him at Western Auto) and he ALWAYS had hot cashiers workin' the front. Now that he has the NAPA stores he is capitalizing on the parts delivery by catering to the mechanics that spec the parts. They want to see the hot delivery drivers bring their parts so, naturally, NAPA gets the call. Since his isn't a corporate store, he can get away with it. I think he's up to 6 or 7 delivery trucks now. The guy's got mad marketing skilz, yo! (sex sells)

evarner
08-11-2009, 07:57 AM
O'Reily's - 10% discount (covers tax and a tad bit more)

AllZWay
08-11-2009, 09:29 AM
I use a locally owned CarQuest. These are the only guys that can find parts without using a computer.

gt40
08-11-2009, 09:32 AM
NAPA in College Station did have the better looking delivery drivers tho. :D

Man you aren't kidding! I know the owner (used to work for him at Western Auto) and he ALWAYS had hot cashiers workin' the front. Now that he has the NAPA stores he is capitalizing on the parts delivery by catering to the mechanics that spec the parts. They want to see the hot delivery drivers bring their parts so, naturally, NAPA gets the call. Since his isn't a corporate store, he can get away with it. I think he's up to 6 or 7 delivery trucks now. The guy's got mad marketing skilz, yo! (sex sells)I wonder if they'll deliver to TWS on short notice. It's be nice to be able to figure out what broke, call NAPA and keep working on the car until a hot chick shows up with the part you need.

FWIW, My go-to store for "normal" stuff is Autozone, mostly because it's nearby and I don't usually have to rely on the counter monkey to figure out what I need. If I need someone with knowlege, or it's a critical component, I go to NAPA.

If it has to be ordered, Rock Auto usually gets the nod, generally

I only go to the dealership when absolutely necessary.

Alien
08-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I think he's up to 6 or 7 delivery trucks now. The guy's got mad marketing skilz, yo! (sex sells)
Just hope it sells enough to cover all the accidents they get into! Just ask Todd Farris.

I wonder if they'll deliver to TWS on short notice.
It's not what you know, it's who you know :D

Wirtz
08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
AutoBone for consumables. Bought just over $20 at a time to make full use the customer card.

Most of the Camaro's typical parts (starter, alt, dizzy....) are AutoBone since you can pretty much find one anywhere we go now and the warrenty info is in all the computers.

O'Reily's for all my filters.

Napa if I need a good part.

David Love AI27
08-11-2009, 11:32 AM
AutoBone for consumables. Bought just over $20 at a time to make full use the customer card.

ROFLMAO!!! how many times do you buy a $1.19 item off the counter display to make the $20.00 mark??????

Wirtz
08-11-2009, 01:04 PM
It's normally a can of brake clean or something like that or a quart of Mobil1 if it is off by a bit more....

BSharp
08-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Being in the auto parts business for the last 20 years, I hate the chains. AZ most of all. Noting like going in one and the 19 year old chick asking me if I spoke spanish because she could not speak english.

gt40
08-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Being in the auto parts business for the last 20 years, I hate the chains. AZ most of all. Noting like going in one and the 19 year old chick asking me if I spoke spanish because she could not speak english.Bud, I never can remember -- are you wholesale or retail? I should be buying from you...

rpoz27
08-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I wonder if they'll deliver to TWS on short notice. It's be nice to be able to figure out what broke, call NAPA and keep working on the car until a hot chick shows up with the part you need.

They'll deliver. Used them when I needed an O2 sensor on our last race weekend. Was gonna have them deliver, but it was faster to steal Martin's car (and wallet) and go get it.

I usually use O'Reilly's, locally. They are always knowledgeable and, if they don't have a part, they will call around town for you until they find it. Had a guy last year searching for a MAF for me during a race weekend. He offered to run home and pull the one off his Camaro so I could borrow it, if he couldn't find the part in town. That's customer service!

David Love AI27
08-11-2009, 05:19 PM
I wonder if they'll deliver to TWS on short notice. It's be nice to be able to figure out what broke, call NAPA and keep working on the car until a hot chick shows up with the part you need.

They'll deliver. Used them when I needed an O2 sensor on our last race weekend. Was gonna have them deliver, but it was faster to steal Martin's car (and wallet) and go get it.

I usually use O'Reilly's, locally. They are always knowledgeable and, if they don't have a part, they will call around town for you until they find it. Had a guy last year searching for a MAF for me during a race weekend. He offered to run home and pull the one off his Camaro so I could borrow it, if he couldn't find the part in town. That's customer service!

next time get the guy to bring you his WHOLE FRIGGIN' CAR!!! opps guess I'll be working back up at S/F hopefully without a massive hangover

gt40
08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
You know, it would be Really Nice of one of the local stores would throw a bunch of parts in their truck and come out for the weekend. Cheap-assed trackside support, of a sort. I'm sure I could think of a list of stuff a typical Mustang might need (cap, rotors, plugs, wires, coolant hoses, gaskets, header bolts, lugnuts, brake caliper pins, brake pads, etc...) a piddlin little thing could become a big pain in the butt if you have to go off-site to get it, and these guys could charge a small service fee and folks wouldn't batt an eye.

Hell, maybe they could work out a deal to stock some parts in the PX...

David Love AI27
08-11-2009, 05:40 PM
You know, it would be Really Nice of one of the local stores would throw a bunch of parts in their truck and come out for the weekend. Cheap-assed trackside support, of a sort. I'm sure I could think of a list of stuff a typical Mustang might need (cap, rotors, plugs, wires, coolant hoses, gaskets, header bolts, lugnuts, brake caliper pins, brake pads, etc...) a piddlin little thing could become a big pain in the butt if you have to go off-site to get it, and these guys could charge a small service fee and folks wouldn't batt an eye.

if I ever get my bus funded, my plan is to do just that... gather list of common parts, maybe a historical list of DNFs and what part caused it. Including some transmissions and maybe even motors... SBC and SBF of which I already have spares other track support guys have to consider the entire NASA series, I would be limited to Group 4

jeffburch
08-11-2009, 05:41 PM
:lol:
This thread is like soothing music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7n8nqSq5D8

Jb

BSharp
08-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Being in the auto parts business for the last 20 years, I hate the chains. AZ most of all. Noting like going in one and the 19 year old chick asking me if I spoke spanish because she could not speak english.Bud, I never can remember -- are you wholesale or retail? I should be buying from you...

Wholesale...

evarner
08-12-2009, 10:50 AM

Pushrods :D :lol:

Adam Ginsberg
08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Pep Boys is another place to consider - here in Ventura, I've found many of the same parts I buy @ AutoZone run a bit less at PB. Additionally, they have a pretty good warranty program.

Within ~5mi of my house and/or shop is AutoZone, Pep Boys, NAPA and Kragen (aka O'Reilleys).

gt40
08-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Pushrods :D :lol::D They're on order...