PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Day

Rob Liebbe
08-17-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm trying to judge interest in having a "rookie day" after Eagles Canyon. We don't ever really get a chance to spend quality time with the rookies and their cars during a race weekend. I'm thinking that we would show up somewhere like TWS and there would be lead-follow, classroom/bench discussion, ride alongs in street vehicles, side by side running, car evaluation/tuning, etc. I would bring my 1991 open track car with passenger seat as an instructor vehicle.

Thoughts - suggestions - offer of really cheap track time from TWS management :wink: - etc.

GlennCMC70
08-17-2009, 09:42 PM
i think its a great idea.
i also think we need to hold classroom time to share our knowlege w/ the new folks.

michaelmosty
08-17-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm 100% down for it.
My car is all ready for ECR so I can just throw on the 888's and have some fun!! I might even be able to yank the seat out of Jeremy's car and use it as a passenger seat. :lol:

Jeremy Gunter
08-17-2009, 09:52 PM
yank the seat out of Jeremy's car and use it as a passenger seat. :lol:

What am I going to follow in? the lemons car? :shock:

Rsmith350
08-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I seriously think that's the best idea anyone has had in awhile. I need to bring a few people just so they can see what a great group of people we race with. I've got my 92, a 04 vette, and a 350z that could be made available. I think this would be a GREAT way to promote our series. Call it "Taste of the track" day. Thanks Rob for bringing this up.

Wirtz
08-17-2009, 10:17 PM
I'll help out. If nothing else I can go stand on the track to be an apex marker.

Chuck
08-17-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm trying to judge interest in having a "rookie day" after Eagles Canyon.

Thoughts - suggestions - offer of really cheap track time from TWS management - etc.

Sounds like a great idea to me. I need all the help I can get! I should be able to bring my racecar with a pass. seat, if it is not ready could bring my street Mustang.

Would this be a weekend or one day during the week type of thing?

Chuck
CMC#14

Chuck
08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
If nothing else I can go stand on the track to be an apex marker.

You are a brave man!

Chuck
CMC#14

AI#97
08-17-2009, 10:38 PM
I'd be in for something like this...

I could even put that trailer hitch ball...I mean passenger seat in for some rides to give you guys a hit of the AI crack pipe....you know you want a hit!

donovan
08-17-2009, 10:46 PM
I can look into getting H2R for a day if there is enough interest.

DD

rpoz27
08-18-2009, 12:05 AM
On October 31, I have a one day advanced event. I can probably make some kind of deal for y'all. Also, have an event on November 21 & 22 and December 12 & 13, if October doesn't work.

Rsmith350
08-18-2009, 12:39 AM
On October 31 My birthday.......A track day would be a great present :) hint, hint......nudge,nudge :)

David Love AI27
08-18-2009, 01:06 AM
On October 31, I have a one day advanced event. I can probably make some kind of deal for y'all. Also, have an event on November 21 & 22 and December 12 & 13, if October doesn't work.
how about coordinating with our banquet at the December event? some of the more experienced driver/instructors could help Misti with her blue and green students in exchange for our own run group with mock starts and 8/10ths racing and either cater in at the track or go into town for the banquet?

AI#97
08-18-2009, 06:25 AM
how about coordinating with our banquet at the December event? some of the more experienced driver/instructors could help Misti with her blue and green students in exchange for our own run group with mock starts and 8/10ths racing and either cater in at the track or go into town for the banquet?

Now there is an idea! December sounds GOOOOD!

mitchntx
08-18-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm thinking that we would show up somewhere like TWS and there would be lead-follow, classroom/bench discussion, ride alongs in street vehicles, side by side running, car evaluation/tuning, etc.

Don't forget the ever popular "mock race" ... :wink:

ShadowBolt
08-18-2009, 08:11 AM

I like that one.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
08-18-2009, 08:20 AM
OK - sounds like a lot of positive responses out there. I like the idea of linking it to the banquet. Keep the responses coming. We've heard from several of the longtimers, let's hear more from the newcomers. Heck even the oldtimers could still learn a thing or two.

No mock races - READ MY LIPS - NO MOCK RACES!!!!!!!!

Misty, pm or call me (281)-413-1948 to let me know what events you have on those dates and how you think we can fit in.

Donovan, do the same please.

gt40
08-18-2009, 08:46 AM
December Banquet at the TWS event -- I like that. I might even get Amy and the baby down for that.

GlennCMC70
08-18-2009, 08:47 AM
i like this idea alot.
no mock races. i also would prefer TWS as its a track we all know. it would be good to give rides in our own cars as well as ride w/ others in there cars.
the veterans taking the other folks for a ride, would be helpfull as well as possible letting folks take each others car out for a run. we could do this in short sessions (10 minutes) to maximize feedback time.
we could also reach out to some other groups to help offset the cost issues.
i also like linking it to the banquet. this puts TWS at the topof the list as it would be a great place to have a catered dinner.

Wirtz
08-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Another vote for linking to the banquet. Sounds like alot of fun.

Can't go wrong with either track. Harris might be fun just since most of us have not ever run it. TWS is always a blast.

mitchntx
08-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Its a great idea.

Not so sure my wife would go for a full day hanging at the track and I certainly don't want a bored wife with a credit card and a mall within 10 minutes of the track.

That being said ...

I like the idea of Harris Hill. It puts EVERYONE on an even playing field. It adds an element of instruction, breaking down the track, we really can't simulate at a known track. No bad habits or long debates on which line to take when going through the transition, etc.

As a certified trainer, one has to be able develop a cirriculum that challenges the student without over-loading the student.

Without structure and a developed course outline, I can forsee this becoming more of a debate as opposed to instruction. Then the intent is wasted.

My $0.02 ...

Rob Liebbe
08-18-2009, 09:03 AM
I will coordinate the track portion of the day if someone else will coordinate the banquet part.

For the record, I like the December dates at TWS. The weather should be cool, the sun will go down early enough to force us to get to the banquet relatively early.

Its also a good use for your obsolete R888's. :roll:

David Love AI27
08-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Not so sure my wife would go for a full day hanging at the track and I certainly don't want a bored wife with a credit card and a mall within 10 minutes of the track.

My $0.02 ...

I'm sure we can find something for Glenn to do... (you knew that was comming, right?)

The reason I suggested TWS is because of our bff, Misti.. I think she can get us some $0.99 track time in exchange for instructing. If HH will do that or give us free track time that would be awesome. Maybe we could find something social for the wives to do for a few hours (I'll join them for a Pampered Chef Party, I need new pizza stone). I know there is also kid issues. We have time.

It would be nice for someone to take charge and keep the focus on the prize.

NickV
08-18-2009, 10:02 AM
I like this idea, and I like linking it to the banquet. I haven't made it to all the events this year unfortunately, and I could use the seat time, and more importantly some more guidance and instruction.

TWS sounds like a great idea, but I wouldn't mind H2R either. I've driven H2R once at a PCA HPDE and it's definitely a fun track.

I'll definitely stand in line to ride in MFW's car too!! :shock: :D

At least it will cool down to the low 90's in December !!

Rob Liebbe
08-18-2009, 10:08 AM
As a certified trainer, one has to be able develop a cirriculum that challenges the student without over-loading the student.

Good point Mitch!!!

I nominate Mitch as Cirriculum Developer for Rookie Day....

Anyone want to second the motion? Mitch can vote, but his vote against himself will not count.

GlennCMC70
08-18-2009, 10:49 AM
i second that motion.

Rob Liebbe
08-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Motion carries!!!! Mitch is now the Curriculum Developer for Rookie Day. You just gotta love honest democracy.

AllZWay
08-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Pretty good ideas, but I doubt I would be able to provide much since the family and I would likely drive down the day of the banquet/instruction and likely spend the night depending on how the banquet schedule worked out.

evarner
08-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Banquet at TWS?

Anyone have an IMAX screen and sound system they want to bring along for the video(s)?

AI#97
08-18-2009, 12:09 PM

Picture of my passenger seat is attached! ;)

Only issue with H2R is having to source some mufflers for my pile... I sold my spintechs for more than I paid for them.

rpoz27
08-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Banquet at TWS?

Anyone have an IMAX screen and sound system they want to bring along for the video(s)?

How about a projector and a white trailer. Wonder if we could hook into the PA system....DL? Whaddya think?

Can also get cheap rooms if I know in advance. (Manor House, around $50 a night).

David Love AI27
08-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Wonder if we could hook into the PA system....DL?

Your wish is my command...

NickV
08-18-2009, 12:48 PM

Picture of my passenger seat is attached! ;)

I'll pass! :D

Rob Liebbe
08-18-2009, 01:05 PM
I vote for the actual banquet to be at an enclosed location. I know WingsStop (or whatever it is) was less than ideal, but they had audio-visual equipment, a roof, and heat. Rudy's BBQ would work and I bet there are others.

evarner
08-18-2009, 01:39 PM
All audio/visual offers are greatly appreciated.

Looking for something that can do HiDef video and decent sound (subs). I guess it also depends on how many are attending the banquet. Never too soon to plan? :D

Fbody383
08-18-2009, 02:02 PM
We don't ever really get a chance to spend quality time with the rookies and their cars during a race weekend.

That's what I've been saying. I know I had a couple conversations about a mentor arrangement to help with what vets think of, or don't think of, as mundane.

- Are you registered?
- Want a cover/garage?
- Dont forget the Zaino to make the vets car look nice.

I agree this a good idea. I want good feedback on how to get better, be more consistent, be more competitive. I would take constructive feedback on how others perceive strengths and weaknesses.

Driver needs work, car needs work - when's school start?

donovan
08-18-2009, 03:17 PM
H2R

Has classrooms
Big Screen TV
Full Kitchen – and Catering people that come out
Has enough room for everyone
We can do a weekend day, but a Friday would be cheaper… not going to post the price, but it’s very affordable!!!
Heat and AC…

MFW - your car should be fine, I have seen some GT1/Trams-am cars out here!

DD

David Love AI27
08-18-2009, 03:25 PM
I would take constructive feedback

Only need to know one thing: GTFOOTW

ShadowBolt
08-18-2009, 03:33 PM

Is that anything like WFO?

JJ

Alien
08-18-2009, 03:35 PM
http://www.theplaceforitalian.com/

Contact Rami at caffe_capri@yahoo.com

He's car club friendly (he's the other half of BikiniRacer!), has a separate room upstairs wik it's own bar :)

Can't remember his video/audio capabilities tho, may want to ask.

Looking for something that can do HiDef video and decent sound (subs). I guess it also depends on how many are attending the banquet. Never too soon to plan? :D

Fbody383
08-18-2009, 03:58 PM

Guess I need to pull the plate and run AIX:

Step 1: Recognize Old Codger
Step 2: Never Point Said Codger By

Now, where's that NOS button...

And I did try to get out of Gary's way and he tried to push me around the track by my passenger door.

AllZWay
08-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Contact Rami at caffe_capri@yahoo.com

He's car club friendly (he's the other half of BikiniRacer!), has a separate room upstairs wik it's own bar :)

Can't remember his video/audio capabilities tho, may want to ask.

A car friendly place sounds pretty good and from their site.

benefits:

Never a separate charge for using the room

DVD/audio/screen available at no cost

Plenty of convenient, well-lit parking

Upstairs room means absolute privacy with no distractions

AI#97
08-18-2009, 04:37 PM
H2R

Has classrooms
Big Screen TV
Full Kitchen – and Catering people that come out
Has enough room for everyone
We can do a weekend day, but a Friday would be cheaper… not going to post the price, but it’s very affordable!!!
Heat and AC…

MFW - your car should be fine, I have seen some GT1/Trams-am cars out here!

DD

H2R is sounding better by the minute! ;)

Crumpacker
08-18-2009, 04:38 PM

good suggestion! Very nice owner and definately car club friendly.

Darcie and I had lunch there today actually.

AI#97
08-18-2009, 04:38 PM
I'll pass! :D

Well, I just realized I have a seat....but Mosty/Gunter gave my spare harness from the lemon to some girl... :roll: :lol:

I just need to source a harness and get the seat back in.

gt40
08-18-2009, 05:02 PM
We can do a weekend day, but a Friday would be cheaper…If its not TWS, I seriously doubt I'd be able to go -- too expensive, even if it were $100 for the weekend. I've got a new bably coming and I'm damned lucky to be making EC.

Otherwise I'de love to go play at HHR.

Crumpacker
08-18-2009, 05:14 PM

I have a spare harness in one of the blue balls.

AI#97
08-18-2009, 05:24 PM

I have a spare harness in one of the blue balls.

I'll keep that in mind...how much is in the AI/CMC fund as of late...?

donovan
08-18-2009, 05:25 PM
We can do a weekend day, but a Friday would be cheaper…If its not TWS, I seriously doubt I'd be able to go -- too expensive, even if it were $100 for the weekend. I've got a new bably coming and I'm damned lucky to be making EC.

Just curious, why would it make a difference?

TWS vs H2R... the money would be about the same at either place, right?

DD

Wirtz
08-18-2009, 05:54 PM
http://vimeo.com/3544417

gt40
08-18-2009, 06:23 PM

DDIf it's at a TWS PDS event, I don't have to pay an entry fee if I instruct -- just room, board, and misc expenses.

rpoz27
08-18-2009, 06:42 PM
If it's at a TWS PDS event, I don't have to pay an entry fee if I instruct -- just room, board, and misc expenses.

And not even that, if you can stand my couch again.

David Love AI27
08-18-2009, 06:46 PM
If it's at a TWS PDS event, I don't have to pay an entry fee if I instruct -- just room, board, and misc expenses.

This was the point of my original post, also reason for the date... I will travel anywhere I need to go to get my hands on that CMC National Championship Trophy... Kellam can ride with me to get his...

donovan
08-18-2009, 06:53 PM

DDIf it's at a TWS PDS event, I don't have to pay an entry fee if I instruct -- just room, board, and misc expenses.

From what I understand we were looking to have the track to ourselves.

Even if we had our own run group at TWS PDS event, what is that 5-20 minute session... No thanks!

If that is not an option at TWS (dedicated track)... H2R might be better, we would have complete run of the track. Two sessions! 9am-1pm / 2pm-5:30pm (All skate, all day!!)

The point would be to instruct/lead/follow with our group of rookies and bring them up to speed... This would also include some car setup/prep instruction.

DD

ShadowBolt
08-18-2009, 07:39 PM

Even if we had our own run group at TWS PDS event, what is that 5-20 minute session... No thanks!

If that is not an option at TWS (dedicated track)... H2R might be better, we would have complete run of the track. Two sessions! 9am-1pm / 2pm-5:30pm (All skate, all day!!)

The point would be to instruct/lead/follow with our group of rookies and bring them up to speed... This would also include some car setup/prep instruction.

DD

I like this idea better and better and it's close to my house.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
08-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I must admit - the H2R commited tack does sound good. The other amenities sound good as well.

ShadowBolt
08-18-2009, 07:49 PM
If the intent is really to help us back-markers get up to speed then an all day open track is the only way to go. H2R all the way.

Gotta love an all skate. They used to have these at Sugars at lunch time.

JJ

AllZWay
08-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I don't mind the H2R idea, just not on a weekday.

donovan
08-18-2009, 08:38 PM
We can do anything really, small price jump for weekend days. Not a problem though.

Saturday or Sunday... We could also see about getting on track Friday evening if we do Saturday.

DD

Chuck
08-18-2009, 09:16 PM
We can do anything really, small price jump for weekend days. Not a problem though.

Saturday or Sunday... We could also see about getting on track Friday evening if we do Saturday.

A combined track day and banquet sounds like the way to go. I can do TWS or H2R, both are close to me. A Friday sounds good to do a track day, however folks that just want to go to only the banquet may not like the Friday if traveling far.

David, can you PM Rob the price for H2R on a Friday or Saturday so he can tell us if it is possible or not? We would need a firm headcount to determine a final price, but could get a ballpark cost.

Chuck
CMC#14

Rsmith350
08-18-2009, 09:39 PM

A combined track day and banquet sounds like the way to go. I can do TWS or H2R, both are close to me. A Friday sounds good to do a track day, however folks that just want to go to only the banquet may not like the Friday if traveling far.

David, can you PM Rob the price for H2R on a Friday or Saturday so he can tell us if it is possible or not? We would need a firm headcount to determine a final price, but could get a ballpark cost.

Chuck
CMC#14

You guys take the time and effort to put together something like this and I'll drive where ever. I'd like to say thanks to everyone of the people that are willing to take time out of their schedule to do something like this. Just one more reason this is the place to race.

donovan
08-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Chuck
CMC#14

already done, still working on the details but Rob and I talked this afternoon. Based on what I have seen so far, it will be cheaper than a typical DE.

edrock96GT
08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
This sounds like a great idea! I would love the opportunity to meet all of you guys prior to the start of next season.

FWIW, I won't yet be back in October and we haven't yet figured out if our leave will start in November or December. November would be ideal but I could try to swing December if need be. I could also bring a projector if it's still wanted.

gt40
08-19-2009, 09:54 AM

Even if we had our own run group at TWS PDS event, what is that 5-20 minute session... No thanks!It's whatever Misty schedules it to be.

IMHO, Having this in conhjunction with a PDS event give us excellent exposure to non-NASA folks and is a great marketing move. We get as much track time as Misty can spare, and non-NASA folks get to see what us AI and CMC guys are all about. Would an event at H2R give us the same exposure?

DDI think we could accomplish the same thing with 30-minute sessions, and the downtime between sessions used for debriefs and car setup-prep clinics. The HPDE guys would benefit from that too, and again, that's good exposure for AI/CMC as a group.

I talk to a lot of beginner and novice students and most of them have never heard of NASA. The more visible we are to potential racers, the better.

donovan
08-19-2009, 10:30 AM
IMHO, Having this in conhjunction with a PDS event give us excellent exposure to non-NASA folks and is a great marketing move. We get as much track time as Misty can spare, and non-NASA folks get to see what us AI and CMC guys are all about. Would an event at H2R give us the same exposure? .

I think it’s pretty clear it would not be the same exposure, (track with other cars vs. track by yourself) and it’s not the reason we want to do this.

I think we could accomplish the same thing with 30-minute sessions, and the downtime between sessions used for debriefs and car setup-prep clinics. The HPDE guys would benefit from that too, and again, that's good exposure for AI/CMC as a group.

I disagree with you!

I talk to a lot of beginner and novice students and most of them have never heard of NASA. The more visible we are to potential racers, the better.

Beginner and Novice students are not the people that would know about NASA usually… it’s the experience guys that are looking for something else beyond DE’s… I talk to these guys all the time and 90% of them know of NASA!!

I’m not going to get into a long typing debate with you about it either. I’m not much of a keyboard warrior.

I have my opinion and you have yours.

DD

gt40
08-19-2009, 11:28 AM
I think we could accomplish the same thing with 30-minute sessions, and the downtime between sessions used for debriefs and car setup-prep clinics. The HPDE guys would benefit from that too, and again, that's good exposure for AI/CMC as a group.

I disagree with you!What do you disagree with:

A 30-minute session accomplishes almost as much as a day-long session. That's a matter of opinion and you're probably right. You can do more if you have the track all day.
HPDE students would benefit from being around and watching us go through car prep and setup.
Exposing HPDE folks to all this would be good for NASA in general and AI/CMC specifically.

Beginner and Novice students are not the people that would know about NASA usually… it’s the experience guys that are looking for something else beyond DE’s… I talk to these guys all the time and 90% of them know of NASA!!I do too.

Frankly, those aren't the folks I'm interested in. I'm talking about the folks that are just g4etting started in this stuff and are IMHO better candidates for AI and CMC than more experianced drivers who've already makde a decision to race or not to race. they've also traveled farther down a particular path as far as their car is concerned and aren't as likely to change course mid-stream and sell their 'Vette or Poreche ow rhetever in order to build up a CMC car and go racing.

If we want more folks involved in NASA and AI/CMC, I think the folks who are just atarting their HPDE careers should be the folks we target. the guy who's been doing this for a few years has already made up his mind.

I have my opinion and you have yours.

DDThat's OK. You make some valid points. I'm thinking more along the lines of marketing AI/CMC to the outside world. I don't think we do this very well, and having a more visible presence at a PDS event would be a good start.

michaelmosty
08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
I agree with both of what David and Robert are saying. I love watching our group grow and I feel it is a direct reflection of what we as a group have done.
Focusing on AI/CMC Texas is what this thread was started for. I am 100% on board to help our current TX rookies and racers. I love the event/banquet idea and would like to see that be the main focus.

I would love to see something like Robert is talking about in the future but I think that puts way too much on the agenda for a 1-day event. :)

Hood
08-19-2009, 12:10 PM
I agree with both of what David and Robert are saying. I love watching our group grow and I feel it is a direct reflection of what we as a group have done.
Focusing on AI/CMC Texas is what this thread was started for. I am 100% on board to help our current TX rookies and racers. I love the event/banquet idea and would like to see that be the main focus.

I would love to see something like Robert is talking about in the future but I think that puts way too much on the agenda for a 1-day event. :)

I was formulating this response in my head as I was reading up to this point, but since Michael beat me to it...

DITTO!

ShadowBolt
08-19-2009, 12:11 PM

I agree with Michael and I know what Robert is wanting to do is important but I don't think that was the idea this banquet/help day was thought up for. As a guy that did DE's for four years I new nothing about NASA until JB saw me at at PST during a DE event and told me he was racing with NASA. I bought a car within a few months of learning about NASA. I do understand that most don't think that way because I have talked to several of my former DE friends and they are not interested in racing. Two of them do TT with us but no racing. I don't understand it as DE's were getting boreing to me after three or four years. Maybe lets do the deal at H2R and then in January or Feb prior to our season, do an event at TWS to try to get more people interested.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
08-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I would prefer to leave the marketing aspect out of this for now and focus on helping our current and near future participants. Marketing is NASA's responsibility. (I can see Matt's eyes rolling as I type this).

I also feel that longer track periods rather than sessions is beneficial. Seems like it would take "rush" out of the time you spend with a particualr student or group. We would also set our own schedule and not be dependent on others.

We are still looking into the alternatives. I've talked with Donovan about Harris Hill, but I haven't had a chance to talk with Misty yet. (hint hint - call me Misty - 281-413-1948)

Also, lets start a headcount so we can get an idea of costs. Just reply to in this thread please. Event dates are not set yet, but sometome in November or December seems like the likely candidates based on track availability.

Hood
08-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Rob, you were wanting responses from rookies about this idea. I, for one, want to be the sponge here. I'll take all that will be given from ANY of you, rookie or veteran. I've learned SO much since February by watching and taking notes (following Rob around TWS at a PDS event was enlightening). Watching the in-car videos has also helped tremendously, but this idea, riding with another vet or having them ride with me and a lead-follow session, is an awesome opportunity to learn even more. It doesn't matter where we go to do this and I'd give up a race weekend for it (since I'm out of a points chase anyway). I'm using my rookie year to LEARN. So... given the condition of my car at the moment and the current finances, would it be feasible to substitute my track day car for this?

Alien
08-19-2009, 12:24 PM
I'ld like to do this, but prefer TWS ONLY because it's a track we actually have races at.

Rsmith350
08-19-2009, 01:06 PM
I'ld like to do this, but prefer TWS ONLY because it's a track we actually have races at.

I would prefer TWS since it's a track we race on and the instruction we get from the guys would be more specific. My wallet may disagree with me though if the other track is significantly less expensive. The alure of an ENTIRE day with a track is huge though. I'm game either way. can we get a roll call of veterans that will go too, might wanna call dibbs :)

Rob Liebbe
08-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't see why street cars can't be used. They also have the benefit of passenger seats. So long as they are mechanically sound. I was thinking about using my 91 Mustang open track car - its like a street version of my CMC car but with better brakes and street tires.

Rsmith350
08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
I'll be bringing a couple of cars with passenger seats

Wirtz
08-19-2009, 01:27 PM
For head count: I'm in.

Would think Harris would work out better. More track time and the ability to be very flexible as to when cars go out on track.

Nice club house with a big ol HD TV for videos, including stuff shot during the course of the day for review.

Good AC in the club house for folks to talk and discuss.

Loads of shopping down the highway at the outlet malls for pit crews (and Michael).

Shorter lap times (more repetition) and lower speeds (good for car swapping without such a high penalty for failure...)

Now all that said, I know if we do TWS it will be a blast and Misty will take good care of us as a group. So there is no wrong answer...

gt40
08-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I would love to see something like Robert is talking about in the future but I think that puts way too much on the agenda for a 1-day event. :)I can agree with that.

Misty, what think you? Set up some kind of "Come hang with the racers!" weekend for PDS? We could make a big deal out of it.

donovan
08-19-2009, 02:08 PM
I will have both my AI car with 2 seats and my Track Ho Miata :oops: with 2 seats there! If we are at H2R for this... if TWS... not sure which one, but can't take both that far.

And to add to the fun, at H2R we can run the first 4 hr sesson CW and the second 4 hr session CCW... if we want! :D

DD

Fbody383
08-19-2009, 02:52 PM
I would prefer to... focus on helping our current and near future participants... I also feel that longer track periods rather than sessions is beneficial. Seems like it would take "rush" out of the time you spend with a particualr student or group. We would also set our own schedule and not be dependent on others.

Part of what I liked about DE, and the school I did at Bondurant, was working up to pace. For me in the race group this year it's been "new track, good luck." I struggled in AutoX because it takes me more than 3 or 4 looks at speed to find my way.

And to add to the fun, at H2R we can run the first 4 hr sesson CW and the second 4 hr session CCW... if we want!

I would prefer TWS since it's a track we race on and the instruction we get from the guys would be more specific.

I understand the "but we RACE there" sentiment but if it's intended to be a hands on experience, learning how to read a track, build a line and adjust the car, why not use a track we don't usually see? I'm a better driver and racer by knowing HOW rather than just WHAT at a particular track.

Second year guys with skillz and a setup will make 2010 interesting.

Oh yeah, I'm in.

Rsmith350
08-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm a better driver and racer by knowing HOW rather than just WHAT at a particular track.

This is an excellent point 8)

michaelmosty
08-19-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm in also.
Will there be a problem (H2R or TWS) with going door-to-door in corners?

AllZWay
08-19-2009, 04:15 PM
I will attend either location, but probably not participate in the DE at either place.

I would likely drive in and participate in hanging out and perhaps a little instruction, but I don't think I would bring a car.

ShadowBolt
08-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm in either place.

JJ

donovan
08-19-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm in also.

EMS will be on-site!!

Door-to-door is fine, when I pitched this to H2R I explained that we would not have 15 cars running in a pack (Mock Race)... but more like three cars working with each other doing lead follow and side by side stuff... I figured we could do three or four cars in a group.

Example: This would give us a little more control over the instruction, the student would only need to worry about the two guys driving circles around him filling up the mirrors and working on side by side stuff.

Any lead follow is fine, we just want to keep the side by side stuff to three or four cars working. But really, I think we can do what we want...

Did you not see the car skates video!!! :lol:

DD

David Love AI27
08-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm in also.

Depends on the date... but I would love to do it... I pretty darn good at "reading" a track and I can give some hints to the rookies (NO SOUP FOR YOU, MR. WIRTZ)

As far as door to door, you usually have to run 8 or 9/10s and if there are spins or other on track excursions they will put a stop to it...

David Love AI27
08-19-2009, 04:56 PM

Better put on your big boy pants...

Al Fernandez
08-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Tremendous idea guys, I'm in.

Question...for those that normally bring significant others and/or kids to the banquet, would having the banquet in the evening after a day long rookie day mean no family? I've read a few +1 for tying banquet and rookie day together but nothing on the "my wife will be pissed" side.

AI#97
08-19-2009, 05:41 PM

Question...for those that normally bring significant others and/or kids to the banquet, would having the banquet in the evening after a day long rookie day mean no family? I've read a few +1 for tying banquet and rookie day together but nothing on the "my wife will be pissed" side.

LOL!!! Married people! Ha---ha!!!

donovan
08-19-2009, 05:53 PM

H2R can handle it, but that does not mean its a good idea to have them on the same day...

That part might need some more thought.

We can give rides to family member at H2R as well!!

DD

Wirtz
08-19-2009, 06:50 PM

I was kind of thinking about that as well. I was also thinking it might be a great chance for Liz to finally drive the car I spent most of the kids college fund on....

Maybe there could be a SOs session, not a race but just a chance for them to be on track without any pressure from us knuckle draggers?

AI#97
08-19-2009, 07:26 PM
How about tow vehicle time trials? Todd's lightning don't count cause he don't got no race car no more! ;)

David Love AI27
08-19-2009, 07:53 PM

I was kind of thinking about that as well. I was also thinking it might be a great chance for Liz to finally drive the car I spent most of the kids college fund on....

Maybe there could be a SOs session, not a race but just a chance for them to be on track without any pressure from us knuckle draggers?

Something along the lines of Pit Happens with the spouses on track... how much to rent a blowup slide thingy?or kids big wheel races?

ShadowBolt
08-19-2009, 08:26 PM

Outlet mall is right down the road.

JJ

gt40
08-19-2009, 08:48 PM
How about tow vehicle time trials?I would be ALL OVER THAT! :D

NickV
08-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Everything I've seen is great ideas so far. Loving the idea of this, and I'm down, whichever venue it happens to be at. When I was at H2R, the clubhouse was still under construction inside, but from the looks of it, it's probably full pimped out right now.

NickV
08-19-2009, 08:54 PM
How about tow vehicle time trials?

hell yeeeeah!! 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

donovan
08-19-2009, 09:32 PM

100% Yes!!

donovan
08-19-2009, 09:33 PM
How about tow vehicle time trials? Todd's lightning don't count cause he don't got no race car no more! ;)

Corey has the track record for a Truck with his Dually!!

Is that a challange?

DD

donovan
08-19-2009, 09:37 PM
or kids big wheel races?

as long as the Adults don't join in...

Big Hills + Street Luge + Corey + Video Camera = Funny Shit!

Yeah..., he busted his ass!!!

David Love AI27
08-19-2009, 09:49 PM

Corey has the track record for a Truck with his Dually!!

Is that a challange?

DD

Having Hemi lowered, add a roll bar, tune puter...

Oh.. and add stronger valve springs... already broke one

donovan
08-19-2009, 11:02 PM
We might need two days for all this fun... :D

DD

AI#97
08-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Having Hemi lowered, add a roll bar, tune puter...

Oh.. and add stronger valve springs... already broke one

If I haven't broke one yet....I hope they last! Sees redline 4 or 5 times a day! ;)

Robert, you are excempt from the tow vehicle nationals....no foreign junk allowed! ;)

Burnout contests anyone?! ;)

rpoz27
08-19-2009, 11:55 PM
So the BMW can't be my tow vehicle? :oops:

donovan
08-20-2009, 12:10 AM

Only if you tow the truck to the track! :lol:

David Love AI27
08-20-2009, 12:29 AM
What most of you don't know is that Martin's car is pointing into the garage. :shock: . :shock: . good thing the strap didn't break... 8) 8)

David Love AI27
08-20-2009, 12:31 AM

So Glenn... this is where you get your legal advice????

gt40
08-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Robert, you are excempt from the tow vehicle nationals....no foreign junk allowed! ;)Scared? 8)

Fbody383
08-20-2009, 11:09 AM

Done; bring a couple pairs of Depends from your next order.

David Love AI27
08-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Done; bring a couple pairs of Depends from your next order.

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are:

ROFLMFAO!!

Drives to the hoop... spin move in the air and IN THA FACE... SLAM DUNK!!

NASA13
08-20-2009, 11:47 AM
I am going to "freshen up" my Dually 4 x 4 track record in case you dudes actually show up.
I have about 5 seconds left in that lap.
You guys would love H2R. tons of fun and a real Hallett type management mentality. Bo and Eric run the place like we would run a track if we owned one. Fun is the first priority....especially when it is at my expense. For Example: Corey Land Luge Experiment.
Lisa and I would love to help make it into another pit happens style party if you guys like.
We are also toying around with the idea of doing a charity race out there next year.

AI#97
08-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Robert, you are excempt from the tow vehicle nationals....no foreign junk allowed! ;)

Scared? 8)

American TRUCKS only. Rebadged P-car mommy wagons are not allowed.

gt40
08-20-2009, 02:49 PM

Scared? 8)

American TRUCKS only. Rebadged P-car mommy wagons are not allowed.Well, I guess if you can't run with the big dogs...

:wink:

evarner
08-20-2009, 02:50 PM
PHEAR DA BEE!

http://www.premierautoandcycles.com/04_RumbleBee_v2.jpg

gt40
08-20-2009, 03:59 PM
All contestants in the tow-vehicle Grand Prix must carry a minimum of two adult passengers. How you carry them is up to you.

And I have dibs on Misty, and Sam. Misty is small and Sam has experiance! :D

AI#97
08-20-2009, 04:58 PM
All contestants in the tow-vehicle Grand Prix must carry a minimum of two adult passengers. How you carry them is up to you.

And I have dibs on Misty, and Sam. Misty is small and Sam has experiance! :D

It's not a Grand Prix....it's time trials. I ain't goin' door to door with Corey's 8k pound monster...besides, it's damn hard to pass a dually!!!

If it becomes a Grand prix...then my passengers are in the bed with "ammo" of my choice!

Wirtz
08-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Now, for a REAL tow vehicle challenge, put two of them facing opposite directions, then chain the rear bumpers together with really good chain. Now see who gets around to complete a lap first.

AI#97
08-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Now, for a REAL tow vehicle challenge, put two of them facing opposite directions, then chain the rear bumpers together with really good chain. Now see who gets around to complete a lap first.

....all while wearing mullett wigs.

Crumpacker
08-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Sam has experiance! :D

Back in the day... which was a tuesday... I was part of a 2-person, active weight transfer team in the back of *un-named driver*'s toureg. It was pretty damn fun and I think we managed some decent lap times.

http://www.iomtt.com/images/cache/d6170cb07dccb4d08c216dcc8b6511f1.jpg

BTW, I'm 100% down for rookie day! Any track, any weekend.

mitchntx
09-15-2009, 08:19 PM
This is uncharted territory for me, so here goes ...

Trying to get this back on topic ...

Is the RD thing a go?

I'm trying to decide which I want to do ... ECR or RD.

Rob Liebbe
09-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Sorry, my fault, I've let it slip.

I have cost estimates from Harris Hill and TWS for exclusive days. I will get more info to y'all soon.

Fbody383
09-16-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm trying to decide which I want to do ... ECR or RD.

Race ECR, hang out and teach at RD.

EDIT: The original post included "teach" which may have been construed to reflect a derogatory comment against the fine character of Mr. Warren. No offense was intended or implied.