PDA

View Full Version : Professional video post-production...

gt40
08-31-2009, 10:28 AM
I just hooked up with a guy who is trying to get started doing free-lance video production. Previously he'd done in-house stuff for various employers (corporate videos and instructional stuff, for the most part.) What I've seen looks very good, so he's putting together a 3-4 minute video of one of my races at TWS. Once it's done, I'll have it up on my web site, on Vimeo, and on YouTube.

So, not having seen the video, how much would you guys pay to have someone do your post-production editing? (I'll probably ask this again after the video goes up.)

I know most of you guys do this yourself, and I've messed with it a few times too, but I'd rather pay someone to deal with all this stuff and make a better looking video than I can do myself. I'd rather wrench on my car (Lord knows it needs it!)

evarner
08-31-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm always game for what the group wants to do and I'm sure options are always open. The hundreds of hours I have now into the 2009 production has been free up to this point. :D

ShadowBolt
08-31-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm always game for what the group wants to do and I'm sure options are always open. The hundreds of hours I have now into the 2009 production has been free up to this point. :D

I like Free and at the very least we owe you a steak dinner for all your work.

JJ

AllZWay
08-31-2009, 07:12 PM

I like Free and at the very least we owe you a steak dinner for all your work.

JJ

And also is hard to beat the quality.

Todd Covini
08-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Now in HD!!! TEK Racing in HD!!!

Kidding aside, I think Robert was fishing for independent racer productions, not a YE Video Montage. IMO, a 3rd party can't capture the "essence" of our weekends, personalities, etc. like Eric or "one of us" can. It wouldn't have any "heart" or "soul".....but giving raw footage to someone to make a personal highlight reel, that could be done!

See what the East Coast guys charge....they provide this service to independent racers.

-=- Todd

gt40
08-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Now in HD!!! TEK Racing in HD!!!

Kidding aside, I think Robert was fishing for independent racer productions, not a YE Video Montage.Correct.

IMO, a 3rd party can't capture the "essence" of our weekends, personalities, etc. like Eric or "one of us" can. It wouldn't have any "heart" or "soul"...Not to cast any aspersions on Eric or anyone else, but I disagree. A good video editor should be able to make the thing feel however you want it to, PROVIDED you give him whatever he needs to do it. If you just give him the raw video and say "make it look cool", you'll get something sterile and generic...

jeffburch
08-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Stop the presses.
More great HD coverage coming from Tooele if I have the time.
I need some talent.
Who's volunteering to be reporter?
Must write your oun stuff.
I will show you how to edit/upload.
Very easy.
Is there wifi @ the track?
Who going has a laptop with a broadband card?

"Oh Boy this is gonna be great"

Jb

Todd Covini
08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
I can ham it up and give the daily AI report after a few beers, and volunteer Al or Adam to give the daily CMC report.

Either one of those 2 wankers should have a laptop w/ broadband.

Lookin' forward to the trip...

-=- T

David Love AI27
08-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Stop the presses.
I need some talent.
Very easy.

Jb

Brand new Laptop last week... how much is the bb card? three cameras go pro, the Samsung I bought from you and panasonic dv-910 with oversized battery...

jeffburch
09-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Stop the presses.
I need some talent.
Very easy.

Jb

Brand new Laptop last week... how much is the bb card? three cameras go pro, the Samsung I bought from you and panasonic dv-910 with oversized battery...

Contact you cell provider.
Plus. You ain't gonna have a whole lot of time to dick around with all those cams.
No response on media credentials????
No available wifi wtf?
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=30471

Jb

David Love AI27
09-01-2009, 08:31 AM
You ain't gonna have a whole lot of time to dick around with all those cams.

Jb

I know... I was just giving my crew chief a heads up on my camera sityation... Damn hes gonna be busy...

AI#97
09-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Stop the presses.
I need some talent.
Very easy.

Jb

Contact you cell provider.
Plus. You ain't gonna have a whole lot of time to dick around with all those cams.
No response on media credentials????
No available wifi wtf?
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=30471

Jb

Sounds like I need to figure out tethering on my iPhone then....

jeffburch
09-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I spent 2hrs this morn dicking with tethering.
They don't even have 3g up there yet lol.

DL, I patched my Studio 12 so it should handle .movs from you gopros.

Jb

So, if Ginsbergs team mate isn't going, why don't he drive the car and Al does race director?

evarner
09-01-2009, 05:34 PM
It's all good and I probably jumped the gun (once again). :shock:

/cheers all

jeffburch
09-01-2009, 06:00 PM
I got accepted for media access.
Media center has web access.
Dunno, will see.
Might be able to edit and upload to youtube some video updates like last year.
Depends on if the car/driver requires a lot of my time.
Hope not, I'm on vacation woohhoo!

Jb

AI#97
09-01-2009, 06:04 PM
I will see if I can borrow my mom's aircard....never used one so I will have to get the 5 minute tutorial. I'll also be bringing my laptop. Worst case we can find a starbucks to hit up the wifi...

David Love AI27
09-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Depends on if the car/driver requires a lot of my time.

Days of Thunder II

nuttin wrong with the car or setup, its perfect... 8)

The driver, on the other hand.... :?

I can see Jeff standing between a blistered and shreaded tire and a perfect thin to win... my way vs his way... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Todd Covini
09-01-2009, 10:41 PM
This time out I want you to hit the pace car.

David Love AI27
09-01-2009, 11:04 PM
This time out I want you to hit the pace car.

You've hit everthing else out there,
I just want you to be PERFECT!!

Great lines in autosports movies

Hey look here's a panel we dont have to fix!

look like a cople of monkeys f@cking a football

jeffburch
09-02-2009, 08:25 AM
MW,
regarding tethering, I was unsuccessful dickin w/hacks.
DL'd free version of pdanet from junefabrics for my android.
Works perfect.
Went to speakeasy bandwidth test and got
903 kb down
and 337 kb up.
That's pretty damn good albeit 3G.
When pdanet times out ( hopefully after Utah trip) it's $30
jb

donovan
09-02-2009, 08:34 AM
I have been tethering with my iphone thru Bluetooth...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2349349,00.asp

Easy to do and fast enough for email and surfing when on the road.
1000 down / I forget the upload speed.

DD

(Hint, the laptop need the lastest iTunes installed to work., and your iPhone needs to be updated to 3.0 OS)

AI#97
09-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks David.... No aircard. Service sucked and they cancelled it.

AI#97
09-06-2009, 08:38 AM
I have been tethering with my iphone thru Bluetooth...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2349349,00.asp

Easy to do and fast enough for email and surfing when on the road.
1000 down / I forget the upload speed.

DD

(Hint, the laptop need the lastest iTunes installed to work., and your iPhone needs to be updated to 3.0 OS)

David D, you da man! Took less than 5 minutes to get it up and running and even though it's through a USB cable since my laptop doesn't have bluetooth....it works fantastic....actually using it for this post!

donovan
09-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Awesome... Just keep in mind that we don't have the service plan yet, but ATT will in a month or so. Rumor is the added service will be $29 month!

So, don't go crazy... I usually only use it for the same surfing I do on the phone screen and emergency stuff. So far so good, no extra charges. I think if they saw your download rate increase 10X, you might get a call or a larger bill.

BlueFirePony
09-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Awesome... Just keep in mind that we don't have the service plan yet, but ATT will in a month or so. Rumor is the added service will be $29 month!

So, don't go crazy... I usually only use it for the same surfing I do on the phone screen and emergency stuff. So far so good, no extra charges. I think if they saw your download rate increase 10X, you might get a call or a larger bill.

AT&T recently announced they will NOT be supporting iPhone tethering in their planned MMS upgrades this month.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/09/03/att_to_enable_mms_for_iphone_3g_and_3gs_on_sept_25 .html

"Tethering, however, will not be a part of the update. An AT&T spokesman told AppleInsider that the company expects to offer it in the future"