PDA

View Full Version : Rule of the Day - Seat back brace

BlueFirePony
09-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Here is the rule from the CCR

15.6.22 Seat Back Support
A seatback support must be made to hold the seat from going back in the event of a
crash. A plate should be used to distribute the load. No bolts, corners, or sharp objects
should be placed in such a manner that could lead to a possible puncture of the driver in
a high impact crash. Proper design and installation is crucial to safety and it is
recommended that the driver employ the services of a professional race car builder for
this, as well as all other vehicle safety items. An exception may be made for those seats
homologated to, and mounted in accordance with, FIA 8855-1999 standards. Those
seats that qualify for the aforementioned exception must conform to the entire FIA 8855-
1999 set of regulations. This includes a mandatory seat replacement, or use of a seat
back brace, for any seat more than five (5) years old. Please reference the FIA
regulations. http://www.fia.com/

Basically the must establishes the need and the may exception is at the discretion of the "officials" (which I guess would be ultimately the race directors right?).
So, I have two questions
1) What is needed to get an exception?
2) If I install the brace but don't bolt it in am I compliant?

Wow...my first Rule of the Day Post...I just got a shiver ;)

donovan
09-26-2009, 10:05 AM
If you have an FIA seat that meets the rules with the ratings and dates stated in the CCR, and it's mounted within the FIA standards like the rule says you don't need a brace.

To your question about the bolting of a brace, it must be bolted from what I understand.

I would not drill or mount a brace to FIA seat. They are not designed to be mounted like that, they are designed to flex and give some. The last time I read the installing procedure of a FIA seat it stated minimum 2" clear space from all cage bars for movement during impact, they are designed to absorb energy.

DD

BlueFirePony
09-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks DD.

I have a seat such as a Cobra Suzuka or Monaco that is less than 5 years old and which has been homologated to the FIA for FIA 8855-1999 (per the manufacturer, bearing such a tag) so it comes down to whether the mounts are homologated to FIA 8855-1999. I looked at the FIA technical code (Appendix J - seats, achoring ponts and supports) but I am not in front of the car to see if there is a tag or if it meets the code. Can't find anything from Cobra or Sparco to indicate if their mounts are holomogated. I know more now then I did when I woke up..that's something.