PDA

View Full Version : ROOKIE POLE

David Love AI27
10-12-2009, 12:00 PM
How many of you were attracted to this series because you could take a street car and with VERY FEW MODS.... go racing??

Al Fernandez
10-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Thats Rookie Poll...dont want anyone to confuse this with a pole. We dont ask rookies to dance around a pole. :lol:

David Love AI27
10-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Thats Rookie Poll...dont want anyone to confuse this with a pole. We dont ask rookies to dance around a pole. :lol:

CRAP... I'm in race mode thinking pole as in pole position, the place you will find me in 2010...

gt40
10-12-2009, 12:09 PM

Yet...

Hood
10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
How many of you were attracted to this series because you could take a street car and with VERY FEW MODS.... go racing??

I was attracted to this series for numerous reasons. I was ready to complete my AIX Camaro to race in Texas when I first joined this forum. By virtue of the likes of Wirtz, Mosty, Burch and Love I have since come to my senses. Yeah, I would still like to build the AIX car, possibly as a TT car, simply because I don't have much money in the chassis to start with (hell, I stole the damn thing!), but after racing with this roudy bunch of passionate racers, it will be quite a while before that car even gets looked at again. My foray into wheel-to-wheel racing was never planned as an all out assault to be the fastest car on track (as most people would agree, given my past few race finishing positions :wink: ). It was, and will continue to be FUN first, competitive ... a VERY close second. I would like to continue with CMC1 for at least another year, possibly two, before making the $ commitment that will be required for CMC2. I think that CMC2 rules need to be revamped a bit (like requiring a bone stock LS1 to be DETUNED/RESTRICTED to 260 RWH... allow the stock HP from the engine for cripes sake and allow the other venues to make the same HP). For the most part, I prefer higher HP in all the cars I drive. It's kinda embarrassing to admit to my daughter's boyfriends that my street car has WAY more hp than my 'race' car. :oops: As fun as the CMC car is, it would be MUCH more fun with 70 more HP and bigger brakes and larger tires and... oops there goes the budget. BUT, having said that, the budget is almost no different to build the 300HP engine over the 260HP engine.

Fbody383
10-12-2009, 03:09 PM

I didn't care so much about the "mods" themselves but the cost escalation and the personality of the group. I autocrossed off/on for over 10 years and few people would "recognize" me at an event.

I'm a small block V8 guy and CMC fit the bill for getting into a (relatively) cheap, reliable and friendly in the "i'll hand you a beer after I hand you your head on the track" kind of way series.

AllZWay
10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
I definitely came to the series because of the relative low cost of the car itself and especially for the maintenance required after the initial purchase.

I have said it many times... I would like to see mandated stock stuff when there is no reason to have to otherwise...(ie..safety, competition, or reliability).

For the record.... My car is exactly as I ran it in CMC trim... the only difference was I pulled my restrictor plate, so there is NO more required cost to run the duece over CMC...at least with a 4th gen Camaro.

Rob Liebbe
10-12-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm here because I wanted to race in a V-8 pony car and nowhere else had it at an "entry" level. I also had experience setting up a Fox Mustang for open track, so there was a comfort level with the car already, plus a lot of parts in the garage. I very easily could have built a Spec Miata, but they didn't seem to have any fun as a race group, were way too serious, and had too much body contact. While Spec Miatas are fun to drive, they just didn't seem manly enough. When a Mustang rolling chassis with cage was offered to me for sale, there was no looking back.

marshall_mosty
10-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Drove a FOX Mustang in High School and College. Wanted to originally build an open road race car (Silver State Classic type). Bought a 4cyl shell. Found out about AI in 2003. Went to MSR-C and saw John George and Mike Bell running around and got hooked. Built my car about the same time frame as DD, but had kids along the way. That slowed down the effort. First on track in April '04. First race in Sept. '04. Now, car is basically done, but funds don't allow a full season. Enduros are the big scratch for the itch. The racers and atmosphere can't be beat. It's just like a big extended family.

That just about sums it up.

michaelmosty
10-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Got into it after being amazed riding in Marshall's car at TWS in 04. We were on street tires, Marshall didn't know what he was doing, and we were hauling ass. I think we were running 2:17's. :D
Later that year I burned my T/A during a happy hour at Cresson so I built the Mustang. I chose it b/c Marshall had knowledge of the platform, it was easy to work on, and cheap to build. I think I was a little off on the cheap to build part!!

Jeremy Gunter
10-12-2009, 08:18 PM
I got into it after riding around TWS with Michael. I had been on motorcycles for a few years. Had lunch with Boudy and Michael and they were telling me all the reason I should sell my bike and buy a mustang. Walked out of Taco Bueno and BAM, bike hits a full size van, IM IN!

Seriously though, it's the group and the friends I made at the track even when I wasn't racing...

Jrod
11-13-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm not a rookie yet, but that's the draw for me; "cheap" racing with a proper engine. Meeting and riding with some of the guys at TWS in August and trolling the pits helped cement the deal. Those LAW guys kept saying how easy it is to cage and go and CMC cars are waaay cheaper than Corvettes too.

Jared

GlennCMC70
11-13-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm not a rookie yet, but that's the draw for me; "cheap" racing with a proper engine. Meeting and riding with some of the guys at TWS in August and trolling the pits helped cement the deal. Those LAW guys kept saying how easy it is to cage and go and CMC cars are waaay cheaper than Corvettes too.

Jared

hope to see you on track w/ us next year.
be sure and make the Houston event and hang w/ the group.
PS - we met a few times at LG's a few years back.

Jrod
11-13-2009, 10:44 PM
hope to see you on track w/ us next year.
be sure and make the Houston event and hang w/ the group.
PS - we met a few times at LG's a few years back.

I can't think of what or who LG is, but I'm terrible at names and such. I'm doing my best to make all Houston and CS events as they're easy travel for me. Getting to DFW is a drag, but I'm a wuss.

GlennCMC70
11-13-2009, 10:56 PM
i met a guy who called himself JRod on all the LS1 f-body and Vette forums. he drag raced a black C5 and was from Houston.
are you not this same guy? LG Motorsports does not ring a bell?
if not, carry on.......

Jrod
11-13-2009, 11:04 PM
ah, nope. I had a red C5Z until about four weeks ago, but was never much for the vette forums. I guess we'll have to meet in Jan.
Carrying on...

Fbody383
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Those LAW guys kept saying how easy it is to cage and go...

Jared,

It is, actually.

I'm in Pearland if you ever want to come look at a 4th gen car before the Houston event.