PDA

View Full Version : Tire shaver

David Love AI27
10-17-2009, 09:06 PM
I am looking at purchasing a Tire Truer (shaver). I have been paying $25.00/tire for "new" shaves. I can't find anyone who will shave ones that have been "on the ground". The reason is that ANY debris will destroy the bit. To make this work I would need to shave @ 240 new tires (2 sets per 30 drivers) in two years. In addition, I was looking at $40-50 to do used tires. The question is: how many of you would be willing to have me shave your tires, and how many sets per year? And would you pay extra to repair a flat spotted tire?

I have three damaged tires that would still have 1/32 remaining after trueing. "as is" they are worthless, but at 1/32 they should be worth @ $50-75.

One good point is that I would be shaving the tires on your rims, which has some benefits.

Input/ideas?

MikeP99Z
10-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Part of the problem with shaving a used tire is that the rubber has vulcanized, and balls up in the machine. I talked to Tommy about this at Hallett. You might shoot him an email or call.

gt40
10-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Part of the problem with shaving a used tire is that the rubber has vulcanized, and balls up in the machine. I talked to Tommy about this at Hallett. You might shoot him an email or call.The guy shaving tires at ECR last year didn't seem to have any qualms about shaving used tires, and looking at his machine, there wasn't any place for the shaved rubber to get caught up in -- it just fell on the ground.

Just a data point.

David Love AI27
10-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Part of the problem with shaving a used tire is that the rubber has vulcanized, and balls up in the machine. I talked to Tommy about this at Hallett. You might shoot him an email or call.The guy shaving tires at ECR last year didn't seem to have any qualms about shaving used tires, and looking at his machine, there wasn't any place for the shaved rubber to get caught up in -- it just fell on the ground.

Just a data point.

He turned a "used" one for me, also, but complained that there was a rock or metal shaving that messed up the cutter...

Even if I don't do used tires... If I get enough commitment to do new ones it might be worth the cost of @7,500 for a new machine...

gt40
10-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Even if I don't do used tires... If I get enough commitment to do new ones it might be worth the cost of @7,500 for a new machine...Whatever happened to Bobby Archer's machine?

I can't seem to find these things on the 'Net -- new or used...

David Love AI27
10-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Even if I don't do used tires... If I get enough commitment to do new ones it might be worth the cost of @7,500 for a new machine...Whatever happened to Bobby Archer's machine?

I can't seem to find these things on the 'Net -- new or used...

I know, right??? I've been looking for two months... this is best reason for the post. If I could find a decent used machine, I wouldn't need to do anyone elses tires... I could salvage 5 or 6 of my own FSed tires a year

marshall_mosty
10-18-2009, 09:13 AM
David,
Not to hijack your post, but this is exactly the reason the AI guys are barking so loudly to keep our ABS... we don't have to deal with FS'd tires.

...now back to your normally scheduled programming.

8)

Rob Liebbe
10-18-2009, 10:04 AM
David,

Try calling around the older tire shops. I found one once doing this.

Meyers Tire Supply carries all the parts and pieces for the machines. They haven't changed in 30 years. Cutters are not that expensive.

Call me for more info. 281-413-1948

Al Fernandez
10-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Its a shame we dont have Les Schwab shops in texas. Thos guys did the most beautiful tire shaving ever, and didnt care if the tires were new or not. Give them a call and see what kind of machine they use!

Chuck
03-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Bringing an old thread up.

Saw this on craigslist. This is near Austin. Does this old unit look like it would be worth the money?

http://austin.craigslist.org/tls/1655942907.html
>Amermac Tire Truer - $1500 (Elgin)
>Model #600
>Older but complete, the cutting motor needs to be rebuilt, ($150) and the >pulley motor switch needs replacing, ($20) from Amermac.
>New these units cost over $6k
>refurbs $3k.
>This is a steal.

Maybe we could get a group of CMC & AI folks in on this, and mount it in Al's big trailer.

Chuck Penney
CMC #14

jeffburch
03-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Looks like the one I've been trying to by for several years.
Worth every cent IMO.
If you get it tho be ready for the hassle of ownership.

jb