PDA

View Full Version : There's a reason it's called the "bitch"

nasa-rm
10-26-2009, 04:46 PM
There's a reason it's called the "bitch"....

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t137/DubVipers_ICT_Drifter/Hallett/IMG_0905.jpg

gt40
10-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Looks like he lost it in T7, not T8.

Adam Ginsberg
10-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Yikes - hope the drive is ok. Scratch one S197 from roll call. What event was that?

That's at Hallett? I don't recall those buildings in the background...must be new(ish).

gt40
10-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Yikes - hope the drive is ok. Scratch one S197 from roll call. What event was that?Dunno. More pics in the street car roll cage thread on Corner Carvers.

The car landed on its lid and completely flattened the roof and cage -- looks like the cage punched through the floor and was pretty much non-functional. :shock:

Oh -- there was a passenger, too. :shock: :shock:

That's at Hallett? I don't recall those buildings in the background...must be new(ish).I think so. It's more obvious in the other photos. They were shot from the grandstand at T4, looking towards T8. He lost it before The Bitch.

GlennCMC70
10-26-2009, 07:08 PM
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20586&page=4

Rob Liebbe
10-26-2009, 07:48 PM
I have an Autopower 4-pt in my street/open track car. I was never happy with the plates just being attached to the floor board which is a single layer of sheet metal. So I had a lower plate installed under the floor pan that is then welded with rather stout gussets to the subfram connectors. Actually, the race car may be the same way as the main bar is an Autopwer as well. Guess I'll be checking the race car over for this same condition. I suggest all the Mustangs do this for sure. It wouldn't hurt the Cameros to check as well. Those guys were very lucky.

mitchntx
10-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Hope driver and passenger are OK

AI#97
10-26-2009, 08:34 PM
that there is why my cages land on the rocker sills. strongest part of the floor except for the torque boxes. Even semi decent drag cages have "kicker" bars that come down from the main hoop to the subframes....but if it's a 4pt bar, don't know if it would have stopped that...sort of like flipping a pancake!

Damn lucky those two are! Yikes!!!

gt40
10-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I have an Autopower 4-pt in my street/open track car...This (http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0912_2010_mustang_gt_car_fx_web_exclusive/2008_car_fx_number_12.html) says it was an autopower bar:

mitchntx
10-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Pretty car

Todd Covini
10-26-2009, 09:35 PM
:roll: Back on topic...

The blue FX Mustang can be seen on Mustang magazine newstands now. It's on the cover. :?

Talk about the highs & lows of racing. Hero to zero in 2.9 seconds.

AI#97
10-26-2009, 10:00 PM

Sounds like our lemons race! LOL!!! Leading by 4 laps at the 6 hour mark.....and BOOM BITCH!!! :oops:

GlennCMC70
10-26-2009, 10:26 PM

Sounds like our lemons race! LOL!!! Leading by 4 laps at the 6 hour mark.....and BOOM BITCH!!! :oops:

one can only hope to live such a life that everything can in some way compair to your life Matt. :roll:

AI#97
10-26-2009, 11:10 PM

one can only hope to live such a life that everything can in some way compair to your life Matt. :roll:

Just using your life as a model Mr. 90 line signature man! ;)

mitchntx
10-27-2009, 04:56 AM

The blue FX Mustang can be seen on Mustang magazine newstands now. It's on the cover. :?

Oh ... sorry. I thought this was posted as a warning about poor cage design and not so much about Ford Magazinre cover cars.

My bad ...

Pretty car.

Al Fernandez
10-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Rob, what kind of g loading would you expect to see in a rollover?

Waco Racer
10-27-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm no expert, but, I bet I know where the largest concentration of loading is.

AI#97
10-27-2009, 08:59 AM

I would venture a guess that this was WAY more than a regular roll over say like what happened to Micah back in 2006. This looked like it was "flopped" over and just pancaked the roof. What I don't get is I have seen cars go off there but it looks like he either never lifted off the gas, had the throttle stick or just forgot to turn back to the right for T8. He DAMN near made it back to the straight between T3/T4!!!!

David Love AI27
10-27-2009, 10:13 AM
[ He DAMN near made it back to the straight between T3/T4!!!!

That is the road going to the stands overlooking T4... he would have had to cross the turtle pond to get over to 3 & 4... It took a while for me to figure it out..

BSharp
10-27-2009, 11:10 AM
He went off between 8-9 towards the straight between 2-3

AI#97
10-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Could have turned into a "wet" extraction!!!!

What event did this happen at?

BSharp
10-27-2009, 12:01 PM
It was probably a COMMA/HST event.

MikeP99Z
10-27-2009, 12:55 PM
I think he could have landed it if the fence wasn't there.

Rob Liebbe
10-28-2009, 08:36 AM

It can vary depending on the roll motion and other factors. I don't have any numbers off the top of my head, but this end over end flip is likely on the high end of the spectrum. The motion brings the vehicle mass pretty high off the ground especially when compared to Micah's rollover. Potential energy is not your friend in a rollover.

A simple curb strike is on the order of a 2G impact loading. 35 mph head on into a barrier can generate in the 60G neighborhood.

Check those roll cages ladies and gentelmen.

Al Fernandez
10-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Interesting...so some quick math shows a base plate that is 3x3 could punch through an 18gauge floor in as little as 10g...but a base plate of the maximum 100sqin allowed by nasa wouldn't punch through 18 gauge even under a 60g load! Back of the envelope math, but the point is, baseplate size is very important to keep this kind of thing from happening.

David Love AI27
10-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Interesting...so some quick math shows a base plate that is 3x3 could punch through an 18gauge floor in as little as 10g...but a base plate of the maximum 100sqin allowed by nasa wouldn't punch through 18 gauge even under a 60g load! Back of the envelope math, but the point is, baseplate size is very important to keep this kind of thing from happening.

I once had a discussion about putting a water bed upstairs in my GF's house he told me to put down plywood under the frame to dispurse the pressure and went on to describing the amount of PSI she was putting on the floor when she was wearing high heals... don't do the calculations in front of your wife cuz she might be pissed if you said "hunny, walk on your toes cuz you are puting 250 psi on our wood floors when you put all your weight on your heals"

RichardP
10-28-2009, 08:43 PM

Back of the envelope stuff is good but in this case, the realities of the joint are a little worse because of the holes. The sheet metal is just going to rip between the holes. Once that happens, you could literally fold the rest of the sheet metal out of the way with your hands.

A bolt in cage can be done to be pretty strong. A small base plate bolted through flat sheet metal isn't going to be very strong, though. Besides being larger, a base plate that attaches to the vertical sheet metal around the flat floor would greatly increase the strength here.

I'm glad the people in this car are alright. It's horrible to learn the same lesson more than once. Jay Wright's floor pan failed exactly like this and he didn't come out so good.

Richard P.

mitchntx
10-29-2009, 04:33 AM

Inconsistency runs deep with this one.

BlueFirePony
10-29-2009, 09:39 AM
I suggest all the Mustangs do this for sure. It wouldn't hurt the Cameros to check as well. Those guys were very lucky.
Yep, I'll be checking mine this weekend.