PDA

View Full Version : Dyno

David Love AI27
11-17-2009, 11:45 AM
I have the chance to buy a Dyno... anyone know the approx. weight? And how I could make it mobile?? How about a Dyno bus? would I have to get the bus off of the suspension?

kbrewmr2
11-17-2009, 12:19 PM
I would ask Jim Pantas from Southeast region - he had one of those mobile dynojets. I don't rember if he built it or bought it, but should be a start at least :)

I'd love to see one of these at events... I've got a few Time Trialers that need to go across it :roll: :wink:

David Love AI27
11-17-2009, 12:28 PM
If I had this setup at TWS... how many would make the trip down early for the MSR Houston event to get their annual?

AI#97
11-17-2009, 07:01 PM
If I had this setup at TWS... how many would make the trip down early for the MSR Houston event to get their annual?

I'd not bother david....we're going GPS anyway. Besides, I have a dyno in my back pocket anyway! ;)

David Love AI27
11-17-2009, 09:01 PM

I'd not bother david....we're going GPS anyway. Besides, I have a dyno in my back pocket anyway! ;)

so nobody needs a dyno this year.. sweet...

MikeP99Z
11-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Either a stationary dyno or a purpose built mobile dyno. You don't want to attempt to make a stationary dyno portable. They are really f'n heavy, take 3-phase, and serious air compression among other things.

David Love AI27
11-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Either a stationary dyno or a purpose built mobile dyno. You don't want to attempt to make a stationary dyno portable. They are really f'n heavy, take 3-phase, and serious air compression among other things.

This is a portable dyno lik the one used at Nationals... three phase at TWS and most tracks.. mute point anyway since we won't need dynos any more...

MikeP99Z
11-17-2009, 09:24 PM
What model?

David Love AI27
11-17-2009, 09:42 PM
dynojet 248H I believe

MikeP99Z
11-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Cool rig.

Shouldn't the bus be towing multiple race cars?

David Love AI27
11-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Cool rig.

Shouldn't the bus be towing multiple race cars?

Naw... I may retire the 3 car since the CMC1 is being phased out... might focus on a track support bus for NASA and SCCA and crew for Jason. I have more fun driving the 3 car and spanking porsches and vettes at DE's... less politics, less stress

GlennCMC70
11-17-2009, 10:08 PM
so why did you buy that car then? i dont get it.

David Love AI27
11-17-2009, 10:10 PM
so why did you buy that car then? i dont get it.

Because I didn't know what was going on till I asked around at Nationals and talked to others.. I got caught with my pants down..

basically lost my ass on the deal...

GlennCMC70
11-17-2009, 10:28 PM
your $800 or so away from a CMC2 legal set-up.
i bought my LT1 w/ computer and harness for $800.
it will drop in and everything will bolt up.

start a new thread.

JasonLiiR
11-18-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm not gonna let him retire the 3 car. I don't care if I'm the only CMC car in the nation. Theres no point in making us spend extra money to run CMC2 when we have a competitive CMC car. As far as I'm concerned its cheaper and easier to put a restrictor plate in a 4th gen and be competitive in CMC then it is to make a 3rd gen competitive in the duece. But it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

David Love AI27
11-18-2009, 12:31 AM
back on thread... I want to get into track support.. tire changer, balancer, Dyno, long blocks, transmissions, brakes rotors and pads... this is a giant bus and has room to fit all inside with room for a car. I could trailer a 4 post lift or build a trailer for the dyno. I have experience with the engineering and design of hydraulic systems and it would be very easy to build a trailer that can raise and lower the drum. Other option is to setup a shop like PST at TWS.

David Love AI27
11-18-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm not gonna let him retire the 3 car. I don't care if I'm the only CMC car in the nation. Theres no point in making us spend extra money to run CMC2 when we have a competitive CMC car. As far as I'm concerned its cheaper and easier to put a restrictor plate in a 4th gen and be competitive in CMC then it is to make a 3rd gen competitive in the duece. But it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

Damn son... who woke you up??? Don't try to make sense, its confusing...

Rob Liebbe
11-18-2009, 09:09 AM
David, your plan is ambitous and gracious all at the same time. But, as I see it, track support is not very lucrative except for a very few people who cater to the high end folks. Also, if you are providing track support, you may not have or take the time to race. I'd rather see you on the track rather than under someone else's car missing out on your run group.

AI#97
11-18-2009, 09:17 AM
David, your plan is ambitous and gracious all at the same time. But, as I see it, track support is not very lucrative except for a very few people who cater to the high end folks. Also, if you are providing track support, you may not have or take the time to race. I'd rather see you on the track rather than under someone else's car missing out on your run group.

ditto...there is a reason you don't see PST or other shop driving to every track. There are discount tire shops within easy driving distance of every track with the exception of Hallett maybe. there is usually enough spare parts floating in the paddock to get anyone through a weekend and have we ever needed a dyno at the track? Nope.

David, refocus on staying on track. Personally, I would sell the driveline in the 3 car, buy and LT1/6spd setup and go whip some ass in CMC2. You REALLY need to relax and quit getting riled up about how shitty certain things are and don't get wound up in the Bullshit. focus on why you come to the track in first place and things will magically get better overnight. Forget about the directors, forget about the rules, forget about how NASATX gets run or makes mistakes and just "shut up and drive" and hang with the gang. Build the 3 car into CMC2. It's only money and you can't take it to the grave with ya so again, "shut up and drive".

Next time I have to give you that advice, i am going to charge you for it! ;)

marshall_mosty
11-18-2009, 09:36 AM
David, refocus on staying on track. Personally, I would sell the driveline in the 3 car, buy and LT1/6spd setup and go whip some ass in CMC2. You REALLY need to relax and quit getting riled up about how shitty certain things are and don't get wound up in the Bullshit. focus on why you come to the track in first place and things will magically get better overnight. Forget about the directors, forget about the rules, forget about how NASATX gets run or makes mistakes and just "shut up and drive" and hang with the gang. Build the 3 car into CMC2. It's only money and you can't take it to the grave with ya so again, "shut up and drive".

Who are you and what did you do with MFW??

GlennCMC70
11-18-2009, 09:38 AM
i thought of creating a new user ID for this comment, but oh well....

Matt - I agree w/ you.

it makes no sence to have that much money wrapped up in that car and not use it for what it was built (racing) due to a simple $1000 fix. you either piss away the money needed to upgrade the car, or you piss away the investment in the car.

you would do good to sell the black car for the cash to upgrade the white one. thin the herd some.

as for the swap, i'll spend whatever time it takes to help you w/it via the phone and provide all the technical data you need. i've done this install a few times now. its pretty simple, and even easier w/out the OEM cluster.

kbrewmr2
11-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't forsee GPS stuff replacing the good ol' dyno any time soon. Several classes could use it, not just AI & CMC, but off the top of my head - some TT classes, ST, all of GTS, and SSM too. Thats alot of cars...

David Love AI27
11-18-2009, 10:41 AM

I keep forgetting... It is HIS car, seriously it is... not my decision..

Sorry Jason, thanks for putting me in my place...

Rob Liebbe
11-18-2009, 10:49 AM
For the money you are going to spend on a dyno, tools, bus mods, etc. you could update the #3 and the #27 to CMC2 spec and have a ton of fun as a result. I seriously doubt you would ever recoup the money spent on track support. Besides, Wirtz and Mosty don't really want a dyno available at the track - do they?

David Love AI27
11-18-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't forsee GPS stuff replacing the good ol' dyno any time soon. Several classes could use it, not just AI & CMC, but off the top of my head - some TT classes, ST, all of GTS, and SSM too. Thats alot of cars...

AND a bunch of those yahoos that attend DEs...

Look, I've been unemployed for over a year, except for a couple of weeks at TWS, and I need to find a way to pay for food, utilies and for Jason to race. I've been doing odd jobs here and there... and since Nationals borrowed a ton of $ from some really good friends. I'm a decent mechanic and want to do something along those lines. There is no track support at TWS so if I build an automotive repair business around a track support bus then it would be like having a mobile tool room at my shop.

David Love AI27
11-18-2009, 11:11 AM
BESIDES... you guys know how much I love working on cars at the track!!! Frank? what motor are you running in that car???

AI#97
11-18-2009, 11:14 AM
BESIDES... you guys know how much I love working on cars at the track!!! Frank? what motor are you running in that car???

Carb'd 302 with a T5 was the plan....at least that was what the judges told us over a few too many beers! ;)

David Love AI27
11-18-2009, 11:37 AM

Carb'd 302 with a T5 was the plan....at least that was what the judges told us over a few too many beers! ;)

ROFLMFAO!!!! Wrong venue... but you gave me one hell of an idea... paint the bus with the LeMons theme... I inherited a metal lathe and a press.. drill press... tire changer... think about how busy I would be!! imagine if I was pressing out a bearing for some team and stoped and said "I'll be back in a couple of hours, its my turn to drive" LOL AND one of the penalties would be to send you (not you, you) to the dyno!!! My hidden agenda would be to try and blow up your motor!!!!! bet Jay Lamm would be all over that!!

David Love AI27
11-18-2009, 11:38 AM
What model?

sorry 248X

michaelmosty
11-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Besides, Wirtz and Mosty don't really want a dyno available at the track - do they?
Rob is trying to start sh!t again. 8)
David, a problem I foresee is people wanting to get their dyno done well ahead of time before the first event. It would suck for someone to dyno right before the first event, have the #'s be off, and have to scramble to fix it.
I plan to try to make CMC2 numbers with just the E-cam and want to dyno enough in advance that if I need to buy headers and install I can with plenty of time to go.

I had the same thought of getting a tire machine (to use @ events and b/w events) but even that would take a long time to recoup the $$ and would be a pain in the ass to lug around.

David Love AI27
11-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I had the same thought of getting a tire machine (to use @ events and b/w events) but even that would take a long time to recoup the $$ and would be a pain in the ass to lug around.

Having tire changer at the track:

for personal use = $10 - 20

charging others = $40 - 50

Keeping AI/CMC racers on track = $Priceless

cobra132
11-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Funny you should ask. I picked up a 289 out of a slightly burned 65 mustang. It has a c4 on it now. I may try and mate it up to the t45 I have, although I think that would be a first in recorded history. Its not supposed to be possible, but I have some ideas, and what the hell, its a lemon. And for the record, a 25% limited slip diff was an option on the 325e. I am getting my vin researched to document my chassis for the judges. That and some 3G cactus juice and we should be fine. FMR

David Love AI27
11-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Funny you should ask. I picked up a 289 out of a slightly burned 65 mustang. It has a c4 on it now. I may try and mate it up to the t45 I have, although I think that would be a first in recorded history. Its not supposed to be possible, but I have some ideas, and what the hell, its a lemon. And for the record, a 25% limited slip diff was an option on the 325e. I am getting my vin researched to document my chassis for the judges. That and some 3G cactus juice and we should be fine. FMR

Spare SBF flywheel delivered yesterday from ebay... spare clutch in a pile on the shop floor... spare T45 out of Trooper car also in pile... sell c4 to recoop cost of new drive shaft

screw the judges... give me the penalty, I'll drink the cactus juice to drown my sorrow...

AI#97
11-18-2009, 09:27 PM
T45 will NOT bolt to a SBF....could probably find a working T5 for $150....

kbrewmr2
11-19-2009, 09:45 AM
And for the record, a 25% limited slip diff was an option on the 325e.

those f@#&$%ers dinged my team for that to. I guess those "car experts" had never heard of a 325es :roll:

Hood
11-19-2009, 09:53 AM
BTW, those of you in the Houston area that need dyno'd before Jan 30th, I've been talking to Gary over at Horsepower Engineering (on 1960 just West of 249) about a dyno day for the AI/CMC crowd (and whoever else wants in). Target price for two pulls is in the $60 range. What I need to know is how many are interested in doing a dyno day in early January? I'll work on getting a better price but it will depend on how many show up. However, if David has his dyno up and running by then, we can all descend on his place.

michaelmosty
11-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Dyno needs to be three official pulls.
I'd also check if he charges extra for a 4th or 5th pull. Depending on changes people might need to dial their car in first.

Speedtek has always been great about this.

Alien
11-19-2009, 11:40 AM
I know in '08 we did it at Village Automotive ~$50
Parking not the greatest, but I liked the service.

Last year we had it at LateModel RaceCraft ~$60 (?) $500 for a few hours
Some cars had issues with tq readings. At the hourly rate, could get expensive if whatever reason people have to cancel.

I'm game for going anywhere. Will be bringing the Sky Redline again now that it's been modded to hopefully get up to some CMC2 numbers this time. May try get my dad to bring his G8 GT to push some AI numbers. :)

Hood
11-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Dyno needs to be three official pulls.
I'd also check if he charges extra for a 4th or 5th pull. Depending on changes people might need to dial their car in first.

Speedtek has always been great about this.

Sorry, he said however many pulls to be compliant. I'll ask about additional pulls for tuning. I'll try to get him to agree to $60 (I'm sure he'll take $75) for up to 5 pulls. If we get enough interest we'll have the ability to do approximately 10-12 cars in a day. For those of us with carbed cars (me) I'll take longer due to having jet and timing changes being done with manual labor... :wink:

jeremiahkellam
11-19-2009, 12:08 PM
[quote="Alien"]I know in '08 we did it at Village Automotive ~$50
Parking not the greatest, but I liked the service.

Last year we had it at LateModel RaceCraft ~$60 (?) $500 for a few hours
Some cars had issues with tq readings. At the hourly rate, could get expensive if whatever reason people have to cancel.

quote]

Village has shut down their dyno

cjlmlml
11-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Dallas Area Dyno at Autoscope.

http://www.autoscope.net/

Here is another option. I know the owner here. I bet we could negotiate a bit more.

This is what he sent me

Chris –

Group Rate:

3 pulls per car, HP/TQ or 1/4mile, your choice.

6 cars - $500 pre-paid*
Each car after that is $75.00 additional ( pre-paid )

It takes approx 45m per car

*pre-paid = ONE person is in charge of making payment in advance or morning of event.

We like to have the owner, vehicle information , in advance when possible, in order to have all the required data for setup.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

David Love AI27
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM
6 cars - $500 pre-paid*

6 x 75 = $450?

so its more like $83-84

BlueFirePony
11-19-2009, 05:44 PM
6 cars - $500 pre-paid*

6 x 75 = $450?

so its more like $83-84
that does not add up to much of a deal. If I get a dyno it would just to get the baseline for an S197 per Glenn's request a while back so not looking to pay more than $60

MikeP99Z
11-19-2009, 09:46 PM
I can get a better deal for us all at Alamo. Just let me know who wants to get setup there (likely whenever). I'll verify price in the next couple days.

AI#97
11-20-2009, 10:15 AM
pfuck dynos....too much effort.

Where is our GPS solution? Tired of loading/unloading trailer and NOT going to the track.

ShadowBolt
11-20-2009, 10:33 AM
pfuck dynos....too much effort.

Where is our GPS solution? Tired of loading/unloading trailer and NOT going to the track.

I agree. I have to take off work and drive into Austin 20 miles and load and unload for just a dyno. I am up for the GPS solution if it works. I'm sure everyone hates the dyno $hit. I can't imagine if your winning a lot and having to go several times in a season. If it is the only way to keep things in balance I guess it's a necessary evil but it does suck!

JJ

David Love AI27
11-20-2009, 11:10 AM
pfuck dynos....

I love em... Gary R brought his own car show last time... I missed most of them but I really enjoyed dyno day last year...

TJ Bain
11-20-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm sure everyone hates the dyno $hit. I can't imagine if your winning a lot and having to go several times in a season. If it is the only way to keep things in balance I guess it's a necessary evil but it does suck!

JJ

It's a lot better then the old alternative which is tear all your shit apart just to find out it's legal then put it back together on your own dime.

Dyno time is cheaper then a pair of head gaskets. I'll take dyno time everytime.

AI#97
11-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm sure everyone hates the dyno $hit. I can't imagine if your winning a lot and having to go several times in a season. If it is the only way to keep things in balance I guess it's a necessary evil but it does suck!

JJ

It's a lot better then the old alternative which is tear all your shit apart just to find out it's legal then put it back together on your own dime.

Dyno time is cheaper then a pair of head gaskets. I'll take dyno time everytime.

No dyno's required in X! ;)

Ah, it's f'n raining here today and I am supposed to be in the garage re-building the rear end in the race car.

MikeP99Z
11-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Alamo Autosprots, Arlington, TX:

For any NASA AIX/AI/CMC/CMC2 car certification - $50 anytime (change restrictor plates if needed), doesn't have to be a specific dyno day. By appointment, mention me for the deal. Brice is the owner who I have arranged this through. 817-860-4300.

Tommy55
11-21-2009, 11:19 AM
David. pm me. We have a trackside service up here and we are an approved Nasa toyo dealer. Tire service, parts, etc.

BryanL
11-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Alamo Autosprots, Arlington, TX:

For any NASA AIX/AI/CMC/CMC2 car certification - $50 anytime (change restrictor plates if needed), doesn't have to be a specific dyno day. By appointment, mention me for the deal. Brice is the owner who I have arranged this through. 817-860-4300.

Is there dyno legal for us?

MikeP99Z
11-22-2009, 08:19 PM
yes - Dynojet 248

Hood
11-26-2009, 02:26 PM
THIS JUST IN!!! I talked to Gary over at Horsepower Engineering yesterday. He agreed to $40 per car for 3 pulls. We need at least 10 cars to show up for this price. Gary R... bring yo posse!

If y'all are in, we need to nail down a date to do this, preferably early January so that I can get on their schedule.

Hood
11-30-2009, 09:28 AM
No takers?

Alien
11-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Works for me. Maybe start a new thread for the Houston area guys to see if we have enough or will need extras.

*edit*
http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=42223#42223
thread started
*edit*

David Love AI27
11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
2 cars... maybe 3

kbrewmr2
11-30-2009, 05:00 PM
let me know if you need extras, I could probably round up a few Time Trial guys if need be