PDA

View Full Version : CO2 poisoning

David Love AI27
12-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Todd reminded me "I'm out",,, sorry for taking up your time

AllZWay
12-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Nascar recently had to really look at these problems and symptoms. Tony Stewart was one driver that was really having problems from CO2.

Unfortunately though, those symptoms also sound like a really bad night at the bar too.

David Love AI27
12-14-2009, 05:57 PM
sorry for wasting your time

mitchntx
12-14-2009, 06:50 PM
when I'm racing with you clowns, I'm holding my breath most of the time. So I think I'm in the clear.

Wirtz
12-14-2009, 06:56 PM
I talked about it in the classroom sessions this weekend, but will repeat it here for the fun of it;

My ITS Datsun had issues with exhaust getting trapped in the cabin. You can buy little stick on carbon monoxide detectors. I typically see them for small airplanes, but I'm sure there are sources on the web now... anyway, those detectors proved to me that car was causing me trouble. That is when I added the fresh air system to the helmet.

http://www.fastraceproducts.com/page/fastraceproducts/PROD/helmetblowers/fa121

This way it draws clean air from up high in the slip stream, filters it, and pressurizes the helmet. Keep in mind a standard filter does nothing against carbon monoxide. It just keeps me from eating a bug or bits of tire rubber...

Anyway, there maybe other options as far as exhaust routing, but like Dave points out, we tend to run fairly close, so the cars in front can be part of the issue too.

AI#97
12-14-2009, 08:29 PM
I forgot to mention it to Jeremiah, but driving his car in one session had a LOT of exhaust gas smell. I also had a headache this morning but I stopped driving the Neon on Saturday. :lol:

David Love AI27
12-14-2009, 08:50 PM
:oops:

MikeP99Z
12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
I've had issues with certain cars in the past (my 280z, an A-Sedan, and others). One key thing I noticed that helped reduce this was that ALL holes in the firewall and floorboard need to be sealed per the CCR.

Rob Liebbe
12-15-2009, 08:53 AM
I've had issues with certain cars in the past (my 280z, an A-Sedan, and others). One key thing I noticed that helped reduce this was that ALL holes in the firewall and floorboard need to be sealed per the CCR.

Also be aware of the tailpanel and trunk or hatch area. That's a low pressure area and fumes can come in through there. Ever wonder what all the black soot on your tail lights is?

I'm going to get a couple of the CO sticks Jeff was talking about and see what my car is like inside.

Wirtz
12-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Also be aware of the tailpanel and trunk or hatch area. That's a low pressure area and fumes can come in through there. Ever wonder what all the black soot on your tail lights is?

Yes, this has been my experience using a axle dump style exhaust.

BlueFirePony
12-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks for bringing up this very important safety reminder David. I've been meaning to install a CO monitor and since I plan to modify the exhaust shortly I'll also give the car a check.