PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to LAW Motorsports - TWS Overall Enduro Win

Todd Covini
04-24-2010, 07:41 PM
AI/CMC took an overall 1-2 finish at this weekend's 6 hour enduro.
LAW Motorsports pulled off the win in their CMC Camaro while Frank Robertson's #132 AI Mustang came in 2nd.

Live timing indictated a nailbiter of a race over the 2nd half of the race.
Many congrats to our Texas AI/CMC drivers & crews for a job well done!!!

-=- Todd

GlennCMC70
04-25-2010, 12:44 AM
You need to re-check you results.

David Love AI27
04-25-2010, 02:39 AM
Fantastic win for LAW.. But bad news for Dr. Frank and company, DQed for being underweight.. I hate to post the bad news about the 132 car, but it is what it is... still a great effort by all... even Ken B showed a good effort and will be a good addition to our series if we can ever pry him out of his toy car...

mitchntx
04-25-2010, 03:55 AM
That is bad news for the 132 car. It couldn't have been by much. The 70 car just skated by on weight.

Both teams rolled the dice at the end. And the 132 car was charging hard.

Another 15 minutes of racing and the finishing order would have been different.

It was that close.

I can't thank the guys in the crew enough. They routinely pulled off 90 second fuel stops, sub 2 minute fuel & tire stops and a sub 2 minute fuel and driver change stop.

Folks I've talked to about endurance racing stress that the race is not won ON the track, but how much time your car is OFF the track. Mistakes and penalties will ruin your day.

The sea of green crew made it happen for LAW Motorsports again this year.

And it was announced that The Source will sponsor a 10 hour event next year. That is an awesome move in the right direction for NASA Endurance racing events.

cobra132
04-25-2010, 10:25 AM
You are correct Glenn, you do need to recheck your results. And while you are at it read section 6.1 of the 2010 AI rules and section 3.3.2 of the 2010 enduro rules. The minimum enduro weight for my car is 2520 lbs. according to my interpretation. It seems pretty clear to me. FMR

RichardP
04-25-2010, 05:56 PM
section 6.1 of the 2010 AI rules and section 3.3.2 of the 2010 enduro rules. The minimum enduro weight for my car is 2520 lbs.

That's not quite how I would intrepret that. Good job and good luck with it though. Interested to see how it turns out.

Richard P.

RichardP
04-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Of course, I may not have all the correct information. Were you running in E0 as an AI car or were you running in ES as an AIX car? There is often lots of confusion about that in timing and scoring when someone doesn’t run in their normal class.

The minimum weight of an AI car is based on the horsepower/torque numbers obtained from an official dyno, with the special provision that no matter how little power/torque your car makes, you are not allowed to have a minimum weight of less than 2700#. This would be called out in Section 6.1 of the AI rules.

If you were actually meaning to run in ES as an AIX car, then your minimum weight would come from Section 6.2 of the AI rules. Is that what you meant to say? If so, then I can’t see how you aren’t the winner of the “faster” ES class and second overall…

:wink:

Richard P.

GlennCMC70
04-25-2010, 09:48 PM
You are correct Glenn, you do need to recheck your results. And while you are at it read section 6.1 of the 2010 AI rules and section 3.3.2 of the 2010 enduro rules. The minimum enduro weight for my car is 2520 lbs. according to my interpretation. It seems pretty clear to me. FMR

6.1 of the 2010 AI Rules:
6.1 American Iron
The “American Iron” (AI) class has a strict 9.5:1 (9.5 pounds of vehicle weight per each horsepower) power to weight ratio maximum and 9:1 (9 pounds of vehicle weight per each foot-pound) torque to weight ratio maximum as measured at the rear wheels. All vehicles that compete in this class may have less than the specified amount but may not exceed the 9.5:1 and 9:1 ratios. Vehicles that exceed this ratio must race in the American Iron Extreme (AIX) class (Section 6.2). The minimum weight for a V8 (and larger) powered AI car is 2700 pounds with driver. The minimum weight for 4 or 6 cylinder powered AI cars is 2400 pounds with driver.

3.3.2 of the 2010 Enduro Rules:
3.3.2. All cars must meet the minimum listed weight for their class. All enduro weights will be measured without driver. Any weight listed in a competitor’s class rule book, which includes the driver, will be used
to set the minimum weight for the car, less 180 pounds. [For example, if a car’s class rule book specifies a minimum weight of 2580 pounds (with driver), the enduro weight would be 2400 pounds minimum. If
there is any question as to the required weight, the team owner must contact the NASA national office at least one week before the start of the event for clarification.

And just above the last one you referenced:
3.3. Class legality
3.3.1. Cars (as represented) must meet their respective class’ technical rules, except that all cars may run any D.O.T. approved tires that fit on the mandated wheel size for their class (unless otherwise specified).
ES and ESR cars may also use non-D.O.T. approved race tires (i.e. slicks) on any wheels. Legends cars must run the spec tire for their class.

This means, w/ the power you make, you cannot compete legally in AI at 2700 or E0 at 2520lbs. Your car is not legal for AI at that weight and power, thus it does not meet the respective class technical rules.

But, I'm not involved in this in any way. The outcome of this DQ or lack of a DQ does not change my results in any way, so it doesnt affect me either way. Good luck w/ your appeal of the DQ. I'm just trying to help you out.

From your POV, since CMC Fox cars are allowed to run at 3100, my CMC class minimum is 3100 even though my platform (4th gen LT1 car) is required to be at 3200 to be legal per the CMC rules. Less 180lbs and I get 2920. But we both know thats not right. In reality I had to be 3020. Your car must be legal per the class rules in which its classed (AI, CMC, SM....etc...).

Todd Covini
04-25-2010, 10:21 PM
For the. Love of God, Glenn...let it go.
You won.
A decision has been rendered based upon the rules you refer to.
Let it go.

Great run by all and I'm still proud that AI/CMC nation scored 1-2,,,

cobra132
04-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Well, if that is the interpretation of the enduro rule then so be it, but it is extremely discriminatory against heavier drivers (no offense matt) and it offends me greatly. How can a car that comes off the track after every race massively overweight for 3 years suddenly be massively underweight for the enduro. Doesn’t make any sense, doesn’t seem fair, doesn’t seem just, but that’s just my opinion. My interpretation of the rule was too literal. FMR signing off.

mitchntx
04-26-2010, 03:17 AM
Well, if that is the interpretation of the enduro rule then so be it, but it is extremely discriminatory against heavier drivers (no offense matt) and it offends me greatly. How can a car that comes off the track after every race massively overweight for 3 years suddenly be massively underweight for the enduro. Doesn’t make any sense, doesn’t seem fair, doesn’t seem just, but that’s just my opinion. My interpretation of the rule was too literal. FMR signing off.

Same problem for the 70 car.

It carreid around around 70lbs of ballast to meet Enduro rules even though it meets class rules without a problem. Even had to make an unscheduled pit stop for extra fuel because of concerns surrounding post race weight.

Regardless of what a piece of paper says, you guys ran a heckuva race.

David Love AI27
04-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Regardless of what a piece of paper says, you guys ran a heckuva race.

X7 Family and friend that I invited to watch, all thought your run at the end was great, they didn't/don't care about the results, they enjoyed the show...

GlennCMC70
04-26-2010, 07:35 AM
As Mitch said, I feel your pain. We had to put 75lbs in the car for the race. I normally come off track from a CMC race 50-60 lbs over. You have a formula that works, just repeat it next year.

RichardP
04-26-2010, 07:52 AM
extremely discriminatory against heavier drivers

Fully agreed. I think that's true of the base weights of some of the cars in the regular racing classes, also.

Richard P.

Wirtz
04-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Great run by by Frank and crew. And congrats to the LAW guys on a well run race. Very cool to see our guys out there getting it done.

cjlmlml
04-26-2010, 08:35 AM

Frank, you may not have won the race, but you do win the Pep Boys/STP Humility Challenge, and I think thats more important and more indicitave of your character.

AllZWay
04-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Yep.. Congrats go out to Frank and team. You guys ran a great race and I hated to see a DQ for weight.

ShadowBolt
04-26-2010, 09:25 AM
extremely discriminatory against heavier drivers

Fully agreed. I think that's true of the base weights of some of the cars in the regular racing classes, also.

Richard P.

I agree. I guess we could lose weight..............

Frank you are winner in your competitors eyes!

JJ

mitchntx
04-26-2010, 09:45 AM
A HUGE thanks needs to go to Randy English.

I certainly would have thought that full tread R888s would've lasted 6 hours at our pace.

Randy had a pair of mounted and ready to bolt on R888s that saved our race.

Fbody383
04-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Yep.. Congrats go out to Frank and team. You guys ran a great race and I hated to see a DQ for weight.

Great drive by you and Matt who was slaying it at the end and I hope the front of the motor is ok.

I was just pumped it was AI/CMC all over the top.

kbrewmr2
04-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks to everyone that came over and ate with us on Saturday. I really didn't want to eat only hamburgers and hotdogs until Hallet :lol: :x

Having that party made me feel a little better about the tire failure in hour 4, and the balljoint failure in hour 5. I hope that neither of those ruined anyone else's race...

michaelmosty
04-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Big thanks for the food Ken!! The hot dog, burger, and awesome macaroni stuff really hit the spot. :D

BryanL
04-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Congrats to the whole Law crew and great call by Mitch to put the extra fuel in.
Frank-awesome run. I think it was pretty cool to have 1 and 2 from our group.
Also interesting was having 4 cars on the lead lap after 6 hours. Which was about a third of the field. Guess they didn't have to have 20 cars after all. Looking forward to next year with the great announcement about having a 10 hour Enduro on Friday.

Ken-thanks for inviting us over for the cookout-that worked out perfect. I think Mosty ate all the Petite brownies, too. Now get a CMC car ready for next year.

I had a great weekend even without racing. So now I am looking forward to testing my new setup in preparation for Hallett.

rleng1
04-26-2010, 01:31 PM
A HUGE thanks needs to go to Randy English.

I certainly would have thought that full tread R888s would've lasted 6 hours at our pace.

Randy had a pair of mounted and ready to bolt on R888s that saved our race.

Glad to help out. Lord knows I haven't been using them the way I drive. They were basically scuffed in.

cobra132
04-26-2010, 11:14 PM
All this talk of food is making me hungry. I think I'll go down to Dairy Queen and get something to eat. FMR

Al Fernandez
04-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Frank I was really sorry to see that. You guys ran a hell of a race and put on a great show. The last couple of hours of that enduro is exactly what enduro races are all about. Slap some lead in that thing and we'll do it again at the ten hour!!

LAW Enduro Team...two overall wins in a row and three class wins in a row, using a gas hungry, tire shredding mullet-mobile. :shock: Awesome